PDA

View Full Version : Help! with Extensions in OS9-unknown icons everywhere!

wylie
May 20, 2004, 06:20 PM
I use OS9 as a platform for music production on my powermac G4

ever since i have had the comp, certain files (when saved, or imported) won't show up with the correct icon , and instead i get a white little sheet of paper, (which i assume means an unknown application ??)

how can i correct this, as i have hundreds of little white icons all over my computer , and its getting annoying now

the file formats that dont show the icons correctly are .wav .aiff .rex . rex2 plus a few more

can anyone explain to me why this is happening, and what i can do to fix the problem

thanks for your time

rdowns
May 20, 2004, 07:26 PM
I use OS9 as a platform for music production on my powermac G4

ever since i have had the comp, certain files (when saved, or imported) won't show up with the correct icon , and instead i get a white little sheet of paper, (which i assume means an unknown application ??)

how can i correct this, as i have hundreds of little white icons all over my computer , and its getting annoying now

the file formats that dont show the icons correctly are .wav .aiff .rex . rex2 plus a few more

can anyone explain to me why this is happening, and what i can do to fix the problem

thanks for your time

Rebuilding yur desktop should take care of that. Restart while holding down the Apple and (is it Option or Control?), just hold down all three until the system asks if you want to rebuild the desktop.

Godfather
May 20, 2004, 08:49 PM
option command.

Sparky's
May 21, 2004, 09:49 PM
Rebuilding the desktop will help to a degree (yes option+command at start-up) but unless the application exists the icon may not appear correctly. even though the Mac (early days of file exchange) can figure out most icons some PC application icons may not appear on the Mac. A plain "paper" icon is an indication that your Mac cannot identify the application that created the document. Sometimes by just double-clicking on it and telling the Mac what program to open it in will fix it also.

Good Luck