Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Has anybody used the Snow Leopard 10a354 version, who also uses a Macbook White early 2009 with the multi touch trackpad? I have been unable to find out how to set up the multi touch gestures that are said to come with Snow Leopard to work on machines with Multi Touch trackpads that aren't the unibodies... If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Why am I thinking that this doesn't work, anyway? I thought the MacBooks CANNOT have multitouch; it's a hardware restriction.

Well since the Macbook I have can do two finger scrolling, which doesn't work if there is a third finger on the trackpad, I suspect it means it supports multi-touch.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
Why am I thinking that this doesn't work, anyway? I thought the MacBooks CANNOT have multitouch; it's a hardware restriction.

Not completely right. There are other thread discussing it, and one guy already made a working Linux driver as a proof of concept and is actually working on a Mac OS X one. That could be the hope for all non unibody book owners.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
From the Snow Leopard page:-

"Multi-Touch gestures in
older Mac models.

All Mac notebooks with Multi-Touch trackpads now support three- and four-finger gestures. "

okatidubi

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
From the Snow Leopard page:-

"Multi-Touch gestures in
older Mac models.

All Mac notebooks with Multi-Touch trackpads now support three- and four-finger gestures. "

You just answered your own question. Read carefully. Let's quote the special phrase out:

"All Mac notebooks with Multi-Touch trackpads".

Although it does support multi-touch in Linux, although it can detect more than 2 fingers in Linux; however, according to Apple, it isn't a multi-touch trackpad. Hence, it does not have the 3- and 4- finger gestures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.