Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HELPME 0001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Hey, i am selling my computer and i need to totally scrub the hard drive of all my ****, how can i do that, i would really appriciate your help. EVERYTHING MUST BE DELETED!

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Although I"ve never done it, I've heard it mentioned numerous times on this board before. Just do a reinstall of OSX and select the option the wipes the hard drive clean first.

HELPME 0001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2004
I Need to scrub my hard drive

I dont have the OS CD, is there any other way to zero your hard drive?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
So , you have two threads on the subject. You could download the OS or get it from a friend. Using a magnet to wipe everything is pretty dangerous! It could seriously damage the drive. Goodluck!

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
ok, if you're just selling the computer and do not care about the os.

boot holding down Command (apple key) + s
this boots into single user mode.

from there you can type
Code:
rm -rf /
but this is still recoverable, though i have to say, recovering data on an OS X disk after you've reinstalled the operating system is not going to be easy.

but, there is another solution... if you want to zero your drive completely. and i mean COMPLETELY! it will require a low-level format after this... you can run these commands.

at the single user prompt type
Code:
df
and you will be able to see something like /dev/disk1s2 19640808 12730368 6714032 65% /

it's the slash (/) that is important, whichever listing has that is the one you want.

now, type
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk###
replacing the ### with what the df command told you for /

good luck covering your kiddie pr0n.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.