PDA

View Full Version : i need to scrub my hard drive

HELPME 0001
May 21, 2004, 10:00 AM
Hey, i am selling my computer and i need to totally scrub the hard drive of all my ****, how can i do that, i would really appriciate your help. EVERYTHING MUST BE DELETED!

Celeron
May 21, 2004, 10:15 AM
Although I"ve never done it, I've heard it mentioned numerous times on this board before. Just do a reinstall of OSX and select the option the wipes the hard drive clean first.

Macmaniac
May 21, 2004, 10:38 AM
Make sure you use the utility correctly there are sevral options, there is one that lets you overwrite the HD several times with useless data, however this takes a few hours, so its worth it if your data is gone.

HELPME 0001
May 21, 2004, 11:04 AM
I dont have the OS CD, is there any other way to zero your hard drive?

Dreadnought
May 21, 2004, 05:50 PM
So , you have two threads on the subject. You could download the OS or get it from a friend. Using a magnet to wipe everything is pretty dangerous! It could seriously damage the drive. Goodluck!

melchior
May 21, 2004, 06:42 PM
ok, if you're just selling the computer and do not care about the os.

boot holding down Command (apple key) + s
this boots into single user mode.

from there you can type
rm -rf /
but this is still recoverable, though i have to say, recovering data on an OS X disk after you've reinstalled the operating system is not going to be easy.

but, there is another solution... if you want to zero your drive completely. and i mean COMPLETELY! it will require a low-level format after this... you can run these commands.

at the single user prompt type
df
and you will be able to see something like /dev/disk1s2 19640808 12730368 6714032 65% /

it's the slash (/) that is important, whichever listing has that is the one you want.

now, type
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk###
replacing the ### with what the df command told you for /

good luck covering your kiddie pr0n.