Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalField

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2004
portland
Hey all.

So i just picked up a second monitor this past week. Beautitful thing really, added a 22" LaCie Electron Blue to the arsenal. Anyway, the hookup was painless and it was up and running in now time. But. what i did notice is slow. screen redraws. Now i know the cheaper solution is probably adjust the screens resolution to something less intense so the graphics cards isnt working as hard. but where is the fun in that. So I want to get a second graphics card. So that the vram isnt being split between the monitors. Right now its 64mb split two ways. I could live with 128mb card, and haveing 64 to each.. but if im going to get a new card, i might as well keep em both right? So what are my options?

anyway have any ideas?
This card would not be for gaming.
I do 3d and 2d work.
System is a Dual G5. w/ Radeon 9600 64mb.

any and all suggestions will be appricated!

thanks
Mickey

digitalField

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2004
portland
hey thanks for the quick response/advice.

question though.

so i was checking out on ebay some prices. and there is some variation among the cards..

it appears that the ones that offer 64mb of vram are flashed PC cards? know anything about them? heard anything postive or negative about it?

mickey.

krimson

macrumors 65816
flashed PC cards are like a crap shoot... some will go bad, and you'd have to reflash them back to PC for the warranty work. from what I know. Some dont have all the features working properly.

there used to be a thread in the xlr8yourmac.com forums, but it seems to have been deleted.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I have seen pc radeon 7000 64mb pci cards that have been bought then flashed for mac then sold on ebay. try the ebay route maybe and find one thats already flashed.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Strange, I have the same setup, a dual g5 (1.8) and the 9600 and running two screens on it, but I don't have any of the things you mention. I have to say that I have a bit smalle monitors which aren't running that high on resolution. But still, very strange!

digitalField

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2004
portland
Dreadnought said:
Strange, I have the same setup, a dual g5 (1.8) and the 9600 and running two screens on it, but I don't have any of the things you mention. I have to say that I have a bit smalle monitors which aren't running that high on resolution. But still, very strange!

just for comparaision purposes the two resolutions im running are:
1680x1050
1344x1008
the only times i see any real redraw problems are when im working in photoshop while doing brush work. For general day to day use things are fine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.