Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsmith83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Central Florida
It's always something, isn't it? Apologies if there is a thread about this somewhere but I wasn't even sure what to search for.

I don't use a BlueTooth headset or anything. I always just talk with my phone up to my face. On my old 2G iPhone, when on a call, the screen would go black while the phone was up to my face talking. When I'd pull it away, the screen would come back on and I could access the touch options (End Call, Mute, etc.).

Now it's the opposite on 3GS. When I put the phone up to my face, the screen stays active and my cheek keeps hitting the Mute button. Then when I pull the phone away to switch it back, the screen goes black and won't let me access anything. When I end calls, I can't hang them up. Pressing buttons does nothing. I have to wait for the other caller to hang up, then I hear a click and I can press the Home button to turn the screen back on.

Is it supposed to be this way? Was this something that happened with the 3G as well? I guess if it's a "feature" and not an error I'll just have to buy a headset. I don't like it, though. :(

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
That's not suposed to happen.

Try restarting your phone. Try restoring your phone.

If neither of those work you should be able to get a replacement as long as this error is still around.

Restarting and restoring is what apple will tell you to do so I'd try that before taking it in.

jungle311

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
I've had this same problem. About a week after I started using a new case I realized the case was made a little off and was covering the proximity sensors. Once i cut some of the excess off the case, no more mute button problems.

steelcityiphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
This worked

I've had this same problem. About a week after I started using a new case I realized the case was made a little off and was covering the proximity sensors. Once i cut some of the excess off the case, no more mute button problems.

Thanks, that worked. I removed the case and problem was solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.