PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Superdrive vibrating

7on
May 21, 2004, 04:34 PM
My powerbook seems to vibrate under some circumstances
(i.e. a video DVD until I opened the DVD Player.app, and a CD-R with a sticker on it)
Is this normal, or has happened to others? Like my whole deskshakes and I can feel the vibrations in my trackball down on the pullout keyboard drawer. I have a feeling the sticker prolly might do it, but that doesn't explain the commercial DVD nor a public speaking textbook CD help disk.

aussie_geek
May 21, 2004, 07:03 PM
7on,

When you put a cd in the drive, the computer spins it up so it can read it. Not all cd's are perfectly round so you will feel a vibration due to the torque forces when spinning a non round object. You say that it doesn't vibrate so much when you are watching the dvd - this is because when watching it the drive does not have to spin it that fast to read it.

aussie_geek

bousozoku
May 21, 2004, 09:10 PM
I've noticed that my SuperDrive is loud and seems to vibrate quite a lot when spinning a disk esp. when first loading, so I would say that it's quite normal.

cb911
May 21, 2004, 11:25 PM
when i had my TiBook 667 it would sometimes make a really loud noise when reading some CDs, mostly the cheap type. also, when verifying those CDs in Toast, it was quite loud, but everything kept running fine... so if it aint' broke, dont' fix it. :p :)

dvdh
May 22, 2004, 11:13 PM
There is a reason that the fine print on most CDR packing reads:

"Do not put any stickers on the disk" (Sony in this case)

It throws them way off balance, which is not a big problem in slower drives, but if it's the slightest bit off centre in a faster drive, you'll definitely notice.