Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
We are having a firesale here and one of the items was a set of the Pro Speakers with the black foam.

I have to say, I am a little disappointed; I assumed that small computer speakers would not be all that great but anything with a little bit of bass in it seems to make them crackle. In fact, the speaker on my PowerMac sounds better... minus the monotone. I pulled out some of the speakers that go with an iMac G4 to see if it was just the ones I got but they were the same.

I guess I am just going to have to keep the bass down

:(

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Not only don't they sound their look, but they don't soudn their name either!

I heard that they are also problems with the 17 inch lcd's.

And there was there was the recent 1 gig video cinema display issues..

I think that APPLE is getting cheaper and cheaper parts and geting more money for them.

I wonder just hw many issues there is with the hardware going on right now?

That would make an interesting thread! I think.

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
my dad has that setup, and while the base isnt all that powerful, you get some great sound coming out of those things.

But for the same amount of money ($200), check out some really good Altec Lansing speakers. they're even better.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I have the Pro Speakers and they are alright. My father has played around with lots of stereo equipment, as he does own a stereo store, and he could tell you that there are plenty of other brands of speakers (even minus the sub) that have better sound than the Pro Speakers or the iSub Soundstick setup.

I'm not sure where the techmyster is, but he (and I) would recommend stereos Cambridge Soundworks. My father has also compared the sound from CSW to those of other brands and he recommends CSW much more than the Pro Speakers I have.

I am interested in the FPS2000. It's basically 4 small, but powerful, speakers with a sub.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
iSub * iSticks = iBad

There are to many other speaker setups that sound too much better than the above setup!

I wish this wasnt true because they look so great even though the sticks look like
dildos! I bought a pair got them home and was shocked first by the sexual thrill they brought to my life and then the lackluster sound!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
There is a lesson to be learned here: Even if something looks really cool and unique, such as the Pro Speakers or the iSub SoundSticks, it doesn't always give you the sound quality you deserve. And I am not impressed by something that costs around $200, throws off only 40 watts of power, and sounds like :eek:.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by King Cobra
There is a lesson to be learned here: Even if something looks really cool and unique, such as the Pro Speakers or the iSub SoundSticks, it doesn't always give you the sound quality you deserve. And I am not impressed by something that costs around $200, throws off only 40 watts of power, and sounds like :eek:.

:D Noting Grokgod's opinion of Logitech, I must say that their 4.1 setup from the Apple store that costs $150 dollars and puts out a total of 400 Watts looks really good compared to the Soundsticks. :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I thought my ears were burning...:eek: :D

Considering what the CSW speakers cost, they are a very good value. One interesting thing that CSW does when they rate the speakers... They list the minimum wattage, where all others (as far as I know) list the maximum possible wattage, under ideal conditions.

If you are looking for speakers to connect to any computer, go with the ones that CSW has with the wood subwoofer, not the one model that uses plastic. It is known, that wood subwoofers produce much better sound then the plastic ones (the nature of the materials influence the sound). Check out the speaker sets that CSW has to offer... they are having sales online currently, and their retail stores will match the prices of the online store.

I have never been disappointed by the CSW speakers that I have purchased. As many of you know, I am very picky about my hardware. Call me what you like, but I expect the hardware to perform properly, which is one of the main reasons I purchase Mac computers, and CSW speakers.

Griffindor73

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2002
Brighton, England
I thought the pro-speakers sounded alright when I played around with the new iMac in the shop- basically because I saw them and thought- they'll sound crap! and they didn't. I thought they'd sound like the speakers on the original iMac. You do have to bare in mind that they are really tiny- its what you expect of something- even though Apple borders on creative genius at times if you have very small speakers you arn't going to get a big sound- as Scotty used to say "ya canna change the laws of physics, Captain!"

Just do what I do- get a jack plug and hook it up to ya hifi- sounds great then!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Griffindor73
as Scotty used to say "ya canna change the laws of physics, Captain!"

You can bend them though... :eek: :eek: :D

Instead of spending the money on the Apple speakers, you can get a great set from CSW for under $150 (Microworks for $149.99). You can splurge and get their MegaWorks 210D system for $300. They have a 4.1 systemFPS2000 Digital that is selling for $100.

Depending on your budget, and sound 'needs' you can get a kick-ass speaker set from CSW for not a lot of green.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by AlphaTech
If you are looking for speakers to connect to any computer, go with the ones that CSW has with the wood subwoofer, not the one model that uses plastic. It is known, that wood subwoofers produce much better sound then the plastic ones (the nature of the materials influence the sound).

Diddo. Mac offers speakers that match their systems, but (just like the included mouse) there are better options with 3rd party manufacturers.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(AlphaTech)I thought my ears were burning...:eek: :D
What have you been told about liting Q-tips to clean 'em out? :D (Simpsons)

>(tfaz1)Mac offers speakers that match their systems, but (just like the included mouse) there are better options with 3rd party manufacturers.
That may have been so with the hockey puck mouse :eek: but I think that isn't so with the Pro Mouse. I use the black glowing variety and it continues to work better than any other mice I have tried. I refuse to use Kensington Crapworks trackball mice, for one. :cool:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Hey Queen Cobra... :p

I like the Apple Pro mouse as well, but that didn't stop me from slapping a 3 button mouse onto my TiBook. :D I [currently] use the MacAlly iOptiNet mouse (optical 3 button) and am waiting for them to actually release their new 'ice' line of mice and products. I believe that they will be coming out with a cordless version (NOT bluetooth) soon as well.

My choice for mice... Apple, MacAlly and Logitech. You will never see me using a mouse from either Kensington OR m$.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The only reason I didn't go with another mouse other than the APM (Apple Pro Mouse) would be the fact that I don't need a second, third, fourth, twentieth, etc. button. One button works fine for me. I have tried the KenSTINKton Trackball with 4 buttons, but the buttons were easily broken and rather difficult to reach. The only upsides I liked about it was that, well, you had 4 freggin buttons for programming! :D

As for your Ice Mouse from MacAlly, I looked at the system requirements and it said Mac OS 9 or later. I didn't see OS X support listed there.

The only time I touch a Kenstickton or m$ mouse is if I have to use another computer with one, or if I got one for free. The free one I'll give away, or worse... :eek:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have a MacAlly mouse on my TiBook right now, and I don't need any extra drivers/software to use it. :p

I like the scroll wheel for web surfing, and the second button is nice for playing FPS games where you have an alternate/secondary weapon fire. Good for making gobs of gibs. :D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
So what does the third button do? Does it activate the peecee CPU disabler for any peecees 150 feet away from the Ti? :D

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Pro Speakers Don't Sound Their Look

Originally posted by DannyZR2

Isn't that what the iSub is for?

Like I said, I was not expecting some fantastic bass junkie set of speakers, just wanted something I could listen to at a nice volume while at work since I hook up to the stereo at home. I can not get my speakers above 3 without them cracking up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.