Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digbyp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008

Attachments

• 279293_3.jpg
    279293_3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 279293_2.jpg
    279293_2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 895
  • 279293.jpg
    279293.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 102

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Hopefully tomtom and garmin have better price points. For $50 you can get a stand alone tomtom refurb, charging more just for software is nuts.

$29.99 Awesome
$49.99 Fair
$69.99 Steep but ok if it's good enough
$94 = Fail

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
50 squid for all european maps seems Ok to me. However I note that it says this price is introductory only and is valid until June 30th. Wonder what it will go up to?

I am waiting on the tomtom. I have a tomtom already but reckon I can flog this for around 50 notes so wouldnt mind paying a wee bit more if i got the traffic and everything as part of the app.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Hopefully tomtom and garmin have better price points. For $50 you can get a stand alone tomtom refurb, charging more just for software is nuts.

$29.99 Awesome
$49.99 Fair
$69.99 Steep but ok if it's good enough
$94 = Fail

Tom Tom won't be much cheaper. To upgrade current Tom Tom' North America Maps on the 940 (first one in their list) costs $69.95, down from $89.95. Maps are expensive to put together, a lot of time goes into them. The sales of the app will factor in the cost of the maps, meaning higher (but easily justified) prices.

HBK Carl

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Wales, UK
i have been using mobile os sat nav for years and this price point is about right. I have been looking forward to seeing the first legit uk sat nav in the app store and this does look impressive, I'm waiting for some reviews on this as I don't think anyone should jump in and buy this just yet. This space is at the present moment in time the most active in the navigation industry and is sure to turn up some crackers! hold off guys, i'm sure there will be much more choice and an improvement in quality to come!

also

If anyone has bought this and would like to post a review that would be great!

I bought it

So, I've bought it.

I don't think the other apps will be cheaper, so I've just taken my chance on it.

My experience up till now:
- Installation needs more than 2.5gb of space on the iPhone (while the app is smaller)
- App is quite fast (on iPhone 3G). If you turn while it's not telling you the route is re-examined quite fast. The time needed to start the app is faster than my Medion by Navigon starts.
- The maps: I don't know... maybe teleatlas/tomtom has better maps, because here in Nijmegen it already tried to send me (with my car) into a road that's bicycle only (next to station Nijmegen Heyendaal). But than again: it's not the first map that didn't try that one, but there is no real 'send to Navigon that this is wrong' button. There is however a 'blockage' button (in the menu).
- The menu is like Release Candidate 1... you need landscape mode to be able to read everything in Dutch, and some menu items aren't as clear (textual) as they can be. For example: there is a nice feature to alert you when your driving to fast. The option to set the speed is described like you need to tell the app how fast you can drive in the city... though, if you click in the menu it will become clear what was meant (only showing options below 30km/h was bit strange for out of the city as a max speed :p:p).
- 3D en 2D Graphics: not really spectacular: but ok, and clear.
- Voice: just fine, like all other Navigon devices. Sound is also just fine with the iPod on. (double click to get into the iPod like in all other apps... could be made more handy in this app as going into the homescreen means wait 20 sec. to start again, it will pickup where it left by the way).
- Speed cameras aren't in it yet. Lot's of other POI are in (and are calculated on where you are / are heading).
- You can force the app to say again what you should do by hitting the icon.
- It will always tell you how fast you can drive, but i didn't see a option that you can see how fast you're driving (except for in the menu in the 'gps-info'). It will warn you with a little icon + (optional) sound.
- Very nice: it integrates into the iPhone addressbook :D (so for everybody you already know: no typing anymore).

Ok... 4 out of 5.

p.s. I wonder why I can't write a review in iTunes, it keeps asking for my password (that I'm entering correctly, as I am able to do other things with it).

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
@willybnl,

Thanks for the review. I'm not going to jump on either TomTom or Navigon until I see more user comparisons. 2.5 GB is huge but again, expected for what you're paying for. Two questions:

1) Does the voice prompt say the names of the roads/highways?

2) Do you get traffic updates like you do with Gokivo and Telenav (which unlike TomTom or Navigon, constantly pull in map/traffic data OTA)?

Thanks,
B.

PS: I thought I was the only one having problems posting a review in the App Store. Like you, after I enter my PW, it keeps prompting me to enter again and again until I just give up.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Anyone in the UK wanting to buy this, it might be worth going to Argos and getting the £30 Argos vouchers for £20 x 2. That way it will only cost you £40 and you will still have £5 left over.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Now we just have to wait for a US version

Will there be a US version? Navigon pulled out of the US market when it comes to hardware GPS devices. I wasn't happy about that since I have one. I don't know if they'd bother producing a software version for the US since they don't want to be bothered otherwise.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Yes, a US version is coming this month though no price announced yet.

That surprises me that they don't want to support hardware and maps for the US but they'll keep managing maps and software for one device.

Edited to add: I see they're already doing this for Windows mobile and Symbian and might possibly release for the Pre. I guess they decided a non-hardware platform was best for them.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
That surprises me that they don't want to support hardware and maps for the US but they'll keep managing maps and software for one device.

Edited to add: I see they're already doing this for Windows mobile and Symbian and might possibly release for the Pre. I guess they decided a non-hardware platform was best for them.

More on Navigon withdrawing from the PND/hardware market:

http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/NAVIGON-stops-PND-business-in-North-America_a1497.html

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

Thanks for pointing that out. I have to wholeheartedly agree with one of the comments posted there.

I do not know of any company that continues business and expects to sell in the US to current clients after pulling ths stunt.

I would have to put myself in that category. I have a one year map subscription on my Navigon GPS and Lifetime Traffic I paid for about 6 months prior to them making it free. I wonder if they'll let the map subscriptions run out and eventually abandon the traffic service. It's one thing to pull out of the US market but to come back in under a different approach. This has to really make a lot of people mad, including me.

Basically, it's like the people who invested in a Dash Express only to be completely screwed. Now RIM bought out Dash's interest and will be porting to Blackberry products leaving the hardware people swinging in the wind. I was one of the people who bought a Dash and, when I saw the direction they were going (plummeting), I returned it and got a refund. I had discovered that much of the Dash coverage map was falsified. There was no coverage and never would be. When confronted about this publicly they backpeddled but claimed the map was fairly accurate. Then one of their support people sent an email to me that came from their data provider (Jasper) informing them that there was no coverage at all and would never be in areas once serviced by Cellular One which now belonged to AT&T. T-Mobile provided most of Dash's data service via Jasper. I don't know if that support person sent that accidentally or if he was quietly providing me with information they were trying to conceal. I had absolutely no confidence in them at all. Others held on to a belief that Dash was going to stand behind the Dash Express and got shafted. The corporate support forum website still exists for Dash even though Dash has officially abandoned it. There are a lot of very upset and disappointed people there. I'm sure, just like me and the Navigon move, those people would never touch another Dash-based product ever again.

andyhargreaves

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
So, I've bought it.

Would you be so kind to answer some questions, as I am very tempted to splash the cash!?

- Does the app allow searching for an address by UK postcode? If you want to try, the postcode of a fairly well-known London address is SW1A 1AA.
- Is there an option for quickest/shortest navigation options?
- Do you have the option to select North-up map display rather than Heading-up?

Thanks very much!

Andy

1) Does the voice prompt say the names of the roads/highways?

It did tell me to go on 'the Axxx highway'. But I did not notice something like 'go into the princestreet' or so. It just tells you to go left, right in some hundred meters (or another measurement if you like that) and sometimes something like 'take a [flauwe bocht] to the left and then go right'.

2) Do you get traffic updates like you do with Gokivo and Telenav (which unlike TomTom or Navigon, constantly pull in map/traffic data OTA)?

Nope... didn't notice that. The map is really really new however is you look at the build date (C) 2008,2009. There is no menu option or so to update, though they did tell you at sale the app will be updated with more info later.

I think we have found a bug in the appstore review system ;(

- Does the app allow searching for an address by UK postcode? If you want to try, the postcode of a fairly well-known London address is SW1A 1AA.

mmm... after selecting the united kingdom, london the app crashed here... (1st time). Maybe because I hit 'London' in and hit next, while the app wants Londen.

There doesn't seem to be an option to type postal code . You can select streets or find it on the map and select it that way.
Strangely enough it does know all postal codes, because if I search for Whitehall place it will tell me London SW1A 2, London. It can even say (in the house number field) that the A3212 A400 and some things like the embankment place are very near that street.
I wonder if it's just me not finding the option to search based on postal code.

Edit: It does recognize Dutch postal codes, but they start with numbers. So I can type 6663 and it will give me all streets in this postal code. It won't take 6663 XX. With SW1A is just won't work (Not even London Sw1a), a lot of cities start with SW I noticed ;) Funny enough, if you type '1' it will give you a list of 'AB25 1', so I guess they implemented postal code search on numbers only.

Edit: well... I don't know why, but now I can search on SW1A 1... huh? So the answer should be YES, IT IS SUPPORTED.

see the screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24039811@N04/3646537762/

Cut and Paste works by the way in these fields.

- Is there an option for quickest/shortest navigation options?

Yes.
It has 'profile' (car, motor, truck, bicycle or pedestrian). And 'sort of route' fast optimal short and beautiful*. Also a 'via' option is possible.

*) Note, my app is in Dutch, so I'm translating a bit here.

- Do you have the option to select North-up map display rather than Heading-up?

It has 3D (so heading-up) and 2D [by a tap] (what really looks like north-up to me, but it doesn't have like a N to say that, it's for sure not heading-up :D).

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
@willybnl

Thanks for the info.

Is there any possibility to add custom POI? Speed cameras is what I'm really thinking!

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
@Willy,

You can post your review to the App Store but apparently you have to do it via your iPhone, not the desktop. At least that's what happened to me yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.