PDA

View Full Version : Soundsticks USB and B/W G3 DVD Player

Laudatio
May 21, 2004, 10:20 PM
I'm running OS 9.2.2 and have the original DVD-RAM with hardware decoding on a B/W G3 450. The Soundsticks play everything including CD's from the DVD-RAM and iTunes/SoundJam. BUT it will not play sound from any DVD. I have configured sound to play through and the sticks are selected, but no go.
Advice? Fix? Similar problems? Help Please. The only DVD player that has worked on this machine is Apple DVD Player 1.3, are there more? Thanks in advance. :D

FuzzyBallz
May 21, 2004, 11:10 PM
Maybe your system can't convert dolby digital to stereo. Have you tried playing 2 chanel dolby sound track instead of 5.1 DD?

wide
May 22, 2004, 09:58 PM
I have the SoundSticks USB and man, I'm pissed...they released the new version with better sound and only a headphone jack under a month after I was given mine! A month. This is why I am always afraid to buy a new computer. I feel bad for those people who paid $3000 dollars for the 1.25 GHZ PowerBook the day before the 1.5 GHZ was released. I can't stand the absence of technological guarantees for hardware (and software--Microsoft is the only company I know that issues technological guarantees).

EDIT: Apple does things like this on purpose. For instance, they didn't bother to upgrade the iPods until after the Hanukkah (:)) and Christmas. Thus, hundreds of thousands of people were left with the (slightly) worse 10 gigabyte iPod instead of the 15 gigabyte iPod or the iPod mini.

Laudatio
May 23, 2004, 05:42 AM
Good suggestion, it didn't make a difference though. I unplugged the Soundsticks and used a stereo mini-plug in the audio out and I got sound through another set of speakers. So now I know it is a, DVD to USB audio out through the Soundsticks problem. Has anyone had this dilema? Does anyone want to buy some slightly used Soundsticks? I'm happy with the sound quality at my workstation, but need to be able to hear DVD playback. What a rip.

Dreadnought
May 23, 2004, 08:26 AM
You don't have any problems with this when you use os X. I had the same with usb audio on my B&W.