PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Rumor site reliability?

T'hain Esh Kelch
May 22, 2004, 08:03 AM
How about making a new section, just like buyers guide, but handling the reliability of rumor sites?
I would require some ongoing updating, but doesnt have to be extremely accurate. Something like if a site gets its rumor published on Macrumors (Page 1 and 2), then it gets a score ranging between 0% and 100% measuring about how accurate the rumor was. (Of course, this is only known days or months later) And then the reliability-page displays the avarage score of the rumor-sites.

It would give a good measure of whom we are to trust, and whom we can dismiss. It would be better than all the babling we have in the forums about who's the best site...

rainman::|:|
May 22, 2004, 11:41 AM
while i can certainly see the advantages of such a directory; it would quickly degrade the relationships between the rumor sites... i mean, they work together now because there's kind of a rough respect for each other, they try not to cause waves... but this would be really bad, condemning other sites as garbage...

paul

Phatpat
May 23, 2004, 10:15 PM
::cough:: macwhispers ::cough cough::

CmdrLaForge
May 24, 2004, 03:31 PM
Definitly a good idea. And why not measure them on their accuracy.

On the other hand Arn posted in the past which of the rumors came true. He hasn't done this in the recent past but maybe he is doing that again. Like a roundup after WWDC.

On the other hand. In the meantime it got really quit on the rumors front. I remember a year or 1,5 years ago when we had much more rumors.

Rumors are really really slow at the moment. I wonder if Apple put much stronger security measures in place.

irmongoose
May 25, 2004, 06:07 AM
New security measures? Nah... it's just that nothing big is happening at Apple right now. I doubt the rumors will reach the level it did before the introduction of the G5. Maybe until the G6 rumors start... :D

irmongoose

CmdrLaForge
May 25, 2004, 06:51 AM
New security measures? Nah... it's just that nothing big is happening at Apple right now. I doubt the rumors will reach the level it did before the introduction of the G5. Maybe until the G6 rumors start... :D

Nothing big ???

iMac G5
new LCDs
PowerMac 3GHz
Video iPod
Tiger

and in the pipeline
Powerbook G5

What do we know about all these products ? More or less only very very little.
And - new iBooks G4 and eMac appeared without any rumors.

my 2 cents

irmongoose
May 25, 2004, 07:40 AM
The only thing we know for sure that Apple has in the works is the 3GHz G5 and Tiger. The others are all pure speculation...

The Powerbook G5 also seems to be a long ways off.

But don't worry. As WWDC nears, I'm sure the rumor mill will start churning again.

irmongoose

CmdrLaForge
May 25, 2004, 09:53 AM
The only thing we know for sure that Apple has in the works is the 3GHz G5 and Tiger. The others are all pure speculation...

Thats what I am saying ! No rumors and WWDC only 1 month away !

KingSleaze
May 26, 2004, 12:56 AM
Least reliable (but highly amusing)-Crazy Apple Rumor Site.
Better reliability (still very amusing, if occasionally not regular)-As the Apple Turns
Best reliability-AppleInsider, MacRumors (though they all blew it for speed bumped PowerMac G5's back in March)

Xenious
May 28, 2004, 09:08 PM
I posted this a few months back...here's my 2 cents on the suggestion....

----

It would be cool if we had some type of credability percentage (beyond the page 1 page 2 seperation). This could help set expectations of announcements.

For example (I'm making this up)..."Appleinsider says Steve will introduce a 30" monitor tomorrow" - 30% truth. Maybe it could be based on the source combined with a feasibility factor. Like..."Thinksecret says Steve will introduce x86 OSX tomorrow" - 1% Truth. It's a reliable source, but the likelyhood of that happening is so small the guage is reduced.

Pardon me if this has been suggested or implemented before.
----

-jim

arn
Jun 3, 2004, 08:20 AM
rumor site reliability is very easy at this point

Appleinsider, ThinkSecret and MacRumors are worth listening to.
eWeek, CNet, and other _major_ publications are worth listening to.

As best as I can tell, all other "rumor" sites make up rumors to draw readers.

arn