PDA

View Full Version : iBook Clamshell Hard Drive Clicking

LimeiBook86
May 22, 2004, 11:03 AM
I gave my older iBook (466mhz SE DVD, FW) to my brother. He has a 10gb HD. I have noticed the iBook is running painfully slow with 320mb RAM and OS X 10.3. I know it ran fine with 10.2. Anyway the iBook is REALLY sluggish. Takes like 5-10 minutes to startup. Waking from sleep is a pain. And the iBook runs worse than my old G3 MiniTower 333mhz. I noticed the hard drive tends to click a lot. I tried shaking the iBook to see if it was loose but nothing made a sound. I guess I should replace the Hard Drive, maybe with a 20gb or 30gb. I know a good place to get them but, I want to make sure it's the Hard Drive. I also think the DVD drive is starting to go...to bad those are VERY expensive.

Any advice? Thanks a lot! :D

grapes911
May 22, 2004, 11:36 AM
Clicking = almost dead. It might be time to replace the whole ibook. Check out the refurbished store to keep thiings cheap.

Dreadnought
May 23, 2004, 05:10 AM
Have to agree here. You could reformat it totally and do this a couple of times. Delete all data on the disk. It could just be some bad sectors on it which are unreadable and it has to skip everytime.

win_convert
May 23, 2004, 06:50 AM
yes. The new ibooks are now new and also cheap.

LimeiBook86
May 24, 2004, 09:08 AM
My brother would love a new iBook. Maybe when he gets a job. The Lime iBook I gave to him when I got my new PowerBook. He just uses his iBook for the internet and iChat etc...but it is very slow and he would like a bigger Hard Drive. Although I can find a 20gb for under $100 the DVD drive is going to so I don't know. It would be nice if he could buy a new iBook.

The hard drive seems to click on startup and when it gets to the desktop. Maybe it's trying to get a file? I don't remember 466mhz being so slow. I meen the damn Macintosh Color Classic runs faster!! I'll look into the Hard Drive upgrade, but a new DVD drive would break the bank.

Thanks.
Keep the replies comin' :D