Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I gave my older iBook (466mhz SE DVD, FW) to my brother. He has a 10gb HD. I have noticed the iBook is running painfully slow with 320mb RAM and OS X 10.3. I know it ran fine with 10.2. Anyway the iBook is REALLY sluggish. Takes like 5-10 minutes to startup. Waking from sleep is a pain. And the iBook runs worse than my old G3 MiniTower 333mhz. I noticed the hard drive tends to click a lot. I tried shaking the iBook to see if it was loose but nothing made a sound. I guess I should replace the Hard Drive, maybe with a 20gb or 30gb. I know a good place to get them but, I want to make sure it's the Hard Drive. I also think the DVD drive is starting to go...to bad those are VERY expensive.

Any advice? Thanks a lot! :D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Have to agree here. You could reformat it totally and do this a couple of times. Delete all data on the disk. It could just be some bad sectors on it which are unreadable and it has to skip everytime.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My brother would love a new iBook. Maybe when he gets a job. The Lime iBook I gave to him when I got my new PowerBook. He just uses his iBook for the internet and iChat etc...but it is very slow and he would like a bigger Hard Drive. Although I can find a 20gb for under $100 the DVD drive is going to so I don't know. It would be nice if he could buy a new iBook.

The hard drive seems to click on startup and when it gets to the desktop. Maybe it's trying to get a file? I don't remember 466mhz being so slow. I meen the damn Macintosh Color Classic runs faster!! I'll look into the Hard Drive upgrade, but a new DVD drive would break the bank.

Thanks.
Keep the replies comin' :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.