PDA

View Full Version : RevA 12" Powerbook Latch Button Corrosion.. (not palm rest corrosion)..

adamjay
May 22, 2004, 04:18 PM
I have noticed this problem since i purchased this RevA 12" 867mhz powerbook *slightly used* back in January.

The button to open the latch that opens the screen is slowly corroding to a black color.

is this happening to anyone else?

I have seen topics about powerbook corrosion on these boards concerning palm rests but never the latch button. Then again, the metal material on the latch button seems to be some sort of thin reflective steel plating, and maybe it is this plating that is corroding. Also, around the latch button itself, there is about a 2 millimeter ring of the same material, and it is corroding as well. I have attached a picture. Sorry its blurry but i had to get in close enough to show the latch button. The corrosion is gradual, mostly being on the right side and its not so bad on the left side of the latch button. It almost resembles a burn mark.

To the best of my memory, when i purchased this powerbook the latch button looked fine, but slowly over the months this has gotten progressively worse.

anyone??

yoda13
May 22, 2004, 06:07 PM
this is the first I have heard of this problem. Mine is not all nice and shiny anymore, but it doesn't look like that you took a flame after it either. I would say it looks more scratched up. But it definately is not black. However, having said that, I am sorry that you are having this problem, but I would rather have a problem with that, than I had with the palmrests I think.

MoparShaha
May 23, 2004, 12:03 AM
I think the latch button is just painted with a shiny, metallic paint. Constant pressing of it just wears this paint down. I noticed that the new PowerBooks had this problem, and since I bought by 12", I've been extra careful with the latch button. I've had mine 7 months so far, and like yoda13, I only have fine surface scratches on mine.

If you're a "do it yourselfer", you could mask off the latch, and spray paint it with a metallic paint. It could look pretty good if you're careful.

adamjay
May 23, 2004, 02:04 AM
awesome i think i will do that if i ever intend to sell this machine (ahem... G5 PB). And that is mainly why i am concerned - Resell Value.

thanks for the info.