PDA

View Full Version : IPhone 3G S cements Apple's place at the top

MacBytes
Jun 20, 2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: IPhone 3G S cements Apple's place at the top (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090620182238)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Maven1975
Jun 20, 2009, 07:15 PM
While AT&T still rapes their consumers. I switched to the Palm Pre this round so I can recover from AT&T's price gouging.

$99 per month unlimited = Sprint

$150 per month everything unlimited = AT&T

I will be onboard the second there is a new affordable carrier (With good coverage in AZ). I also think its embarrassing that the American made product is not fully supported on the American servers. (MMS & Tethering)

Absolutely ridiculous.

jeme
Jun 20, 2009, 09:14 PM
Sprint will soon be out of business - $99 would be a great value if it worked, however free is too much if it does not. That is the difference in what you pay for Sprint vs. AT&T.

MMS and Tethering is a bummer - but it will come sooner than you think.

Maven1975
Jun 21, 2009, 01:22 AM
Sprint will soon be out of business - $99 would be a great value if it worked, however free is too much if it does not. That is the difference in what you pay for Sprint vs. AT&T.

MMS and Tethering is a bummer - but it will come sooner than you think.

Like I said, AT&T sucks at best. Its deff not worth the premium they gouge everyone for. I have had iphones since day one. I know for a fact the iphone is awesome, but it its not a great PHONE on AT&T.

Point in case. MMS and Teathering. Why do you have to wait? Stop giving AT&T a pass.

Period.

bobdgil
Jun 21, 2009, 03:01 AM
Like I said, AT&T sucks at best. Its deff not worth the premium they gouge everyone for. I have had iphones since day one. I know for a fact the iphone is awesome, but it its not a great PHONE on AT&T.

Point in case. MMS and Teathering. Why do you have to wait? Stop giving AT&T a pass.

Period.

Hmm... Whereas an amazing company like Sprint would have tethering available for the Pre. What's that Baxter? You pooped in the refrigerator... And Sprint doesn't offer tethering on the Pre? I guess that means the Pre isn't a great PHONE on Sprint. Also, I don't know how much time you spend talking on the phone, but I have some 4000 rollover minutes accumulated on my 550 minute family plan. I guess when your phone is on a large network, mobile to mobile free calling really cuts down the necessary minutes. Anyway, I pay what you pay to have 3 phones. I don't feel particularly gouged. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Sprint or the Pre. I just think making blanket statements that only take into account one particular perspective is foolish.

iluvgr8tdeals
Jun 21, 2009, 04:38 AM
While AT&T still rapes their consumers. I switched to the Palm Pre this round so I can recover from AT&T's price gouging.

I will be onboard the second there is a new affordable carrier (With good coverage in AZ). I also think its embarrassing that the American made product is not fully supported on the American servers. (MMS & Tethering)

Absolutely ridiculous.

Ouch! The Iphone is not even American made! It is made in China, but 'designed' in California!

clevin
Jun 21, 2009, 07:24 AM
How sad, according to sfgate, a phone that can't multitasking is on top of smartphone they can think of. i guess sf work is really easy then. everything is straightforward, no need to do more than one thing at a time, how luxury a life!

MisterMe
Jun 21, 2009, 09:43 AM
... no need to do more than one thing at a time, how luxury a life!I don't know about your iPhone 3GS, but mine can do more than one thing at a time. I know that you like to be provocative. Keep trying.

clevin
Jun 21, 2009, 09:53 AM
I don't know about your iPhone 3GS, but mine can do more than one thing at a time. I know that you like to be provocative. Keep trying.

wow, let me add some legal notes here: like apple likes to do in the ads::cool:

"do more than one thing at a time" on a iPhone does not mean you can open multiple apps of that shiny 50,000 apps you paid or downloaded for free. "do more than one thing at a time" on an iPhone means that specific 3 or 4 apple produces app are capable of running at the same time, these apps are app #1, app #2, app# 3. Apple is not responsible if you are stupid and think iPhone can multitasking and purchased one then find out your email can't be opened together with browser to check email address from a webpage, at the same time opening calendar to check your schedule, and have whatever fabulous app you just bought from app store. At apple we precisely wording our marketing strategy that we make sure masses will be misled but that we will not be held responsible.

aristobrat
Jun 21, 2009, 09:56 AM

Absolutely ridiculous.
Unless you like the color blue, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for another carrier with "affordable" rates (if you're using Sprint as your basis for what you consider affordable).

For longer than a year, Sprint has been LOSING more customers than it has been signing up. Thus the creation of their incredibly cheap "Simply Everything" plans. You know something's crazy when the nation's budget carrier (T-Mobile) doesn't have the cheapest plans anymore.

aristobrat
Jun 21, 2009, 10:01 AM
wow, let me add some legal notes here: like apple likes to do in the ads::cool:

"do more than one thing at a time" on a iPhone does not mean you can open multiple apps of that shiny 50,000 apps you paid or downloaded for free. "do more than one thing at a time" on an iPhone means that specific 3 or 4 apple produces app are capable of running at the same time, these apps are app #1, app #2, app# 3. Apple is not responsible if you are stupid and think iPhone can multitasking and purchased one then find out your email can't be opened together with browser to check email address from a webpage, at the same time opening calendar to check your schedule, and have whatever fabulous app you just bought from app store. At apple we precisely wording our marketing strategy that we make sure masses will be misled but that we will not be held responsible.
It's not that you don't have a perfectly valid point, it's just that nobody really seems to care. :rolleyes:

I think I've seem more fuss made over the last two years about the lack of SMS forwarding that I have about the lack of being able to multitask third-party applications.

clevin
Jun 21, 2009, 10:15 AM
It's not that you don't have a perfectly valid point, it's just that nobody really seems to care. :rolleyes:

I think I've seem more fuss made over the last two years about the lack of SMS forwarding that I have about the lack of being able to multitask third-party applications.

its strange, isn't it?

consider this, Palm has been ripped to death for OS classic not supporting "multitasking". Even if it actually can run music, AIM and some other apps (there are 30,000 of them) at the same time, which is actually doing more than iPhone does (it doesn't limit what that third app may be).

And apple is deliberately downplaying the thing, start with the naming: "background apps". Thats doesn't do any justice to true multitasking. on palm Pre, or any computers, there is incredibly easy way to remind users what apps are running, they are being used every second by every users, hardly "background".

and then apple claim the battery life is bad with "background apps", while says nothing about the reason behind it. Squarely blaming battery on the function of "multitasking", thats just bs. multitasking itself is not a deciding factor of battery life, the OS is, apple is blaming a virtual term for their own inability to write something efficient and slim.

With the Palm Pre out of the door, at least people can have a reality check about how good desktop-level multitasking looks like on a mobile device.

nagromme
Jun 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
The Pre's multitasking has REAL advantages. The dishonesty comes in when people deny that the iPhone's alternative ALSO has real advantages. Pre apps bog each other down and force the user to do manual memory management, and indeed a background app DOES burn more battery (and far more RAM) than push services.

Meanwhile the iPhone does true multitasking for some key things most users need: mail checking, music playback, phone calls, etc.

Also, on the Pre, having a few apps open for quick-switching is fine (for now) since you only HAVE a few apps. iPhone users have thousands to choose from, and you're just not going to leave your favorite 5 apps and 5 games open all at once. Memory can't handle it. "Multitasking" as a technical term becomes less important when you're switching between lots of DIFFERENT apps.

Multitasking as an informal human term--a PERSON doing several things at once--works fine on an iPhone. I do it all the time. The iPhone DOES have a way to switch apps. Behind the scenes, whether it's like a Cmd-Q or a Cmd-Tab is a technical matter most don't even think about--it doesn't change what I can do.

The multitasking buzzword sounds good, but it's the RESULT, not the buzzword that matters. Multitasking means the Pre switches from one app to another faster--if you're already running that app. (In other cases, it's slower--when the app wasn't already running.) And it means you can share the screen between two tasks--but the iPhone can too in its own way (music controls overlaid on any app, maps and browser-views embedded in apps). And the need to share the screen between two apps on such a tiny screen is just not as common as on a real computer. It's actually better to have one app on screen at a time.

I like the Pre's notification UI a lot better than I like its multitasking. Give me the iPhone's method of app-switching and push services, with the Pre's notification UI, and you'd have something!

dwsolberg
Jun 21, 2009, 08:31 PM
I walked into an (empty) Sprint store a few days after the launch and played around with the Pre. The interface starts off nicely, and I enjoyed scrolling through the six visible applications. The screen was a little small for my taste, but the phone felt nice in my hand.

I wanted to see the fast camera reviewers had raved about. I went to the camera application to take a picture, but I was informed there was not enough memory right now, and to close some applications. There were six visible apps running, so I closed two of them. I went back to take a picture, but no dice: still not enough memory. So then I closed all the applications I could find, but still there was not enough memory to take a picture. I'm not sure how the phone got messed up or whether they were some applications I couldn't access, but it made me think that multitasking is probably not ready for prime time yet.

I think the Pre's problem is that it has some cool features that haven't been thought out in terms of user experience. In a way, that's really what defines Apple their products are about the best they can do with what is possible, and they try not to include half-baked features that will just frustrate users. Reviewers complain about the lack of features, but people buy Apple's products because they're pleasant and efficient to use.

nagromme
Jun 22, 2009, 02:14 AM
Six apps isn't much! I've heard that the Pre is prone to skipping during music playback even. "True" multitasking is not all it's cracked up to be.

On my iPhone, I regularly switch between:

Maps
Safari
Mail
iPod
Notes
Phone
AIM
Pandora
Camera
Calendar
WikiTap
Weather
Jaadu VNC
YouTube
2 Across (Crossword app)
Unity Remote
And 2 heavy-duty graphical games (which ones vary from day to day)

Plus a host of apps/games I use more rarely--but in any given day, I'm bound to use several of them. Clock, Contacts, Ambiance, NetNewsWire and Photos each see use at least once a day, for instance.

A Pre that can't even handle SIX apps well is not going to help me much. You HAVE to fully quit an app in those circumstances, or you'll get memory errors and have to tinker. Manual process management--on my phone?? No thank you!

The iPhone lets me switch easily and quickly among all those apps. Not AS quickly as if they were all running simultaneously, but still very good.

And certain apps, Mail and Safari, DO multitask and are ready just about instantly. The ones that are needed the most commonly. Kind of a well-planned system :)

scaredpoet
Jun 22, 2009, 07:40 AM
its strange, isn't it?

consider this, Palm has been ripped to death for OS classic not supporting "multitasking".

No, Palm isn't ripped for not having had a multitasking OS. They have been ripped for promising multtitasking on numerous occasions with the PalmOS, and never delivering. Apple is given a pass because they've flat out stated why they won't do multitasking, instead of saying "oh it's coming and it's going to be sweeeeet!!!" and then disappointing people over multiple years.

I also rip Palm for:

- Bad organizational decisions. Splitting up the company up (Palm, Handspring) then bringing it back together again. Then Splitting them up again (PalmOne, Palm Source), allowing half of the company to be bought by someone else, promising to use their linux-based OS, then changing plans.

- Buying an OS property (BeOS) that could have been very useful in improving their PalmOS or even replacing it, then never using it and allowing the technology to age and die on the vine.

- Promising a whole new version of PalmOS, then not using it on any of their own devices... and then having a stompy fit and burying the project when no one else wants to use it, either.

- The Foleo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foleo).

- Selling incredibly buggy hardware. I stuck it out through at least five different generations of Palm handhelds and smartphones, each one getting progressively more buggy than the previous one. Granted, the iPhone crashes for some people from time to time. My Treos were guaranteed to crash at least twice a day. Sometimes the mere act of receiving a text message would set it into a multi-reboot cycle. And often times it would happen with the phone just sitting on my desk or on my belt, without anything going on.

Until now, Palm has been a shining example of what a mobile device manufacturer shouldn't do. And it remains to be seen whether this Hail Mary pass they're executing will be successful. But I've learned my lesson. I tolerated Palm mobile devices until something better came out. It will be difficult, if it's even possible at this point, for Palm to win me back. They've simply burned me too many times.