PDA

View Full Version : VMware and Windows 7 installed - now what?

Heb1228
Jun 20, 2009, 07:32 PM
I just made the switch to Intel and figured since Windows 7 is free right now, why not use the copy of VMware I got like 2 years ago at a half-off sale. So I went through the steps of installing and everything is working. Got AVG free anti-virus first thing. But now what?

I've lived pretty much without Windows for 6 years now. (Except for the family/friends troubleshooting venture where I'd rather pull my teeth.) I can't think of anything I want to do that I can't do on OS X.

Give me some suggestions. What do you guys use Windows for? I guess twice I've come across Windows/IE only websites (one was a health ins. application) so I'll have it in case of that again. But I can't think of anything to do but play solitaire! Help me out. What am I missing?

MacDawg
Jun 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
You are not missing at thing!

There are a few programs that people need to use that are very limited and Windows only, but other than that, it is a novelty for the Mac user.

I have it installed along with Ubuntu, just 'cause I can ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

Tomorrow
Jun 21, 2009, 12:05 AM
I have Vista installed on my iMac, and I rarely boot into it. MacDawg is right - there's no much you can do in Windows that your Mac can't do on its own.

I used to be more into gaming, but I haven't played in a couple of months, and it's been just about that long since I've booted up Windows at all.

Way back when the Windows 7 RC was made available, I downloaded it. I still haven't tried to install it. I'm not in any hurry.

NovemberWhiskey
Jun 21, 2009, 02:59 AM
Msft OneNote. Probably the only reason why I will need windows.

VideoFreek
Jun 21, 2009, 03:12 AM
I use Windows routinely for just a few things:

* to run Quicken financial software--the Mac version sucks huge.

* to rip my personal DVDs for my media server...Windows-based tools far outclass the likes of MacTheRipper.

* to run IE when necessary...my employer's employee portal, for example, requires it.

I might also suggest playing around with Media Center...just to see what you think.

Besides that, an OS is "just" an OS, so a lot of the differences are "techie" things buried inside the OS. To give just one example of a cool Windows feature--Windows Search 4.0, which is the latest MS equivalent to Spotlight, has the ability to access indexes on remote Windows machines, enabling fast searches across the entire user environment--local drives, remote desktops and network shares. It takes advantage of the indexes already built on the remote machines. See here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772446(WS.10).aspx) for more information.