PDA

View Full Version : iMac 800 not falling asleep automatically.

eyefragment
May 23, 2004, 11:13 AM
I have set my iMac on a 15 minute sleep timer (Through Sys pref). Both the display and the computer are supposed to go to sleep after 15 minutes. However, strangely, the display will sleep, but the computer will not. I would prefer not to have to manually ask my computer to sleep every time that I want it asleep, but that is currently the only thing I am able to do. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a fix? It may be important to note that I've had my iMac for a year and did not have this problem before I switched to panther.

IJ Reilly
May 23, 2004, 12:47 PM
I haven't got an answer unfortunately, but I can report the same issue with our iMac G4/800 17". The machine doesn't go to sleep on its own. It seems to enter the sleep cycle and then wakes up immediately. This problem predated Panther.

bwawn
May 23, 2004, 02:39 PM
I also don't have an answer to your question, but this is an issue that plagues my machine as well. It's a first generation iMac G4 800MHz, bought the day after the MacWorld they were introduced at. About a year ago, maybe less, my machine started doing this. The hard drive also goes to sleep but then turns back on after a couple minutes, then falls back asleep a few minutes later, then turns back on, etc. The screen also has no issue going to sleep. The computer itself won't do it unless I manually tell it to.

At one point, I did have the problem solved and the computer was automatically going to sleep on its own after the specified time: I replaced the internal hard drive and had done a Carbon Copy Clone of all my files to the new drive, and for some strange reason, the system was suddenly going to sleep completely after the specified time in the System Preferences. About a week later, it stopped doing it again.

Sorry to not be of any help. Just thought I'd post that this seems to be a common issue so far on this thread.

IJ Reilly
May 23, 2004, 07:12 PM
I think this must a firmware issue with the iMac G4. A quick Google on this topic shows it turning up for other owners, but with no solutions being suggested. No article on AppleCare, either.