PDA

View Full Version : question about OLD mac hardware ;-) Macintosh Classic & ethernet

Jo-Kun
May 23, 2004, 04:02 PM
Hi there, I just got an old Macintosh Classic (I'll get it next week actually) I know it doesn't feature an Ethernet port, but does anyone know if there is a possibility to add it? just to hook it up to my network and see what I can do with it (maybe add some old scsi hardware wich I have here like my Zip100 and make it accessable over the network?)

thnx

Jo

Dreadnought
May 23, 2004, 04:17 PM
There is a set with two little boxes in it and a bunch of wires and with it you can go from an appletalk connection to ethernet. You can also connect other devices such as Apple printers that only use appletalk. It is called Farallon EtherMac Iprint adapter. You can only get this second hand. Farallon has gone under... I saw it on ebay for about 100-130 USD.

Sun Baked
May 23, 2004, 04:21 PM
Stop the SPAM, please.

It makes people unwilling to help you.

Jo-Kun
May 23, 2004, 04:22 PM
this ain't spam its just a question ok?

and Yes I posted it twice, once here and once in the mac-collectors therad, because sometimes peolpe read one or the other, and sometimes both

sorry for that...

Sun Baked
May 23, 2004, 04:32 PM
There is a button at the top that says "New Posts" so people looking at the new posts in the forum will see ALL the threads you start.

barnett25
May 24, 2004, 02:10 PM
There is a button at the top that says "New Posts" so people looking at the new posts in the forum will see ALL the threads you start.
I don't use the "new posts" button, and I mostly just jump to the Apple Collectors forum. Sorry for being OT, but I just thought you were being a little harsh.

Dreadnought
May 24, 2004, 03:33 PM
As requested by Jo-Kun:
Farallon EtherMac Iprint Adapter LT
And I have a code which I think is a productcode: PN559
There are different models, but they are also named differently. If you search the net on Ethermac and/or iprint and Farallon you will get a big list with these things! Goodluck.

Sun Baked
May 24, 2004, 03:54 PM
I don't use the "new posts" button, and I mostly just jump to the Apple Collectors forum. Sorry for being OT, but I just thought you were being a little harsh.Well I answered your question, if you saw it fine (if NOT, then you were too busy starting new threads instead of seeing if people would respond to the first thread.)

If you do have the name of the company then you have the name of a company that has been supplying Apple ethernet products for a long time, since 1988 -- and is still in business.

While they may have stopped being the major supplier of legacy product, I did note they still have a forum that'll help people track down and use their old products.

cubist
May 24, 2004, 04:47 PM
I could never get any of the Farallon gizmos to work. Furthermore, I could never get any of the Fastpath boxes to work either. They acted like they were working, but no data ever got from one side to the other. There was a third type I also tried with no success. (edit: Dayna)

There are SCSI gizmos which talk to Ethernet which should be much faster. Make sure you get a driver disk, though.

If you only want to print, the easiest solution is to have an additional Mac, such as a IIci, which you can get for almost free, and run LaserWriter Bridge. That works.

If you want to use Appletalk or surf the web, there may be an Appletalk Bridge package you can use, but I've been unable to find it anywhere.

Also, the SE series of computers can have Ethernet. I think you'd likely be happier with an SE/30 than with the Classic. It's about the same age, much faster, about the same price, and can have Ethernet.