Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rarora

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Sorry for posting this, I'm sure it's been asked before but the search function is limited. I end up reading through 15 pages of threads without coming up with an exact answer. Here's the situation:

1) ipod 'A' linked to powerbook 'a'
2) Powerbook 'a'
3) ipod 'B'
4) Powerbook 'b'
ipod 'A' is currently set to sync with iTunes on powerbook 'b'.

ipod 'B' is set to sync with itunes on powerbook 'b'

I'd like to add some songs onto ipod 'B' (which is linked to another itunes library on a seperate mac) using powerbook 'a'.

If I plug in ipod 'b' into the powerbook, what will happen? I think that itunes will simply tell me that the 'ipod is linked to another library, do you want to sync with the powerbook's library.' (which would erase all pervious music on the ipod-not a good thing)

Is it as simple as enabling firewire disk mode, putting the music on a folder on the ipod? next, have the original ipod 'b' owner go into itunes on powerbook 'b' and clicking file->add to library?

Please throw your ideas out there, I want to get some feedback before I do this, I'd hate to accidently erase a few GB of precious music.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
i hv never plugged the iPod in more than one computer, but i guess it wd just sync it without any warning. So best thing would be, to enable manually transfer songs, then connect ur iPod to which ever comp u want.still, it wd show ur iPod in iTnues sidebar, so just select all songs u wanna transfer from ur library, drag them to the iPod icon..as simple as that

cheers

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
try iPodRip, it will transfer all of the songs on your ipod back to your itunes library pretty effortlessly. I was surprised at the speed at which it works and its efficiency. Its good for 10 transfers for free, and then you have to pay $7(which is pretty reasonable for something that should be included by the iPod in the first place). Hope that helps!!!

http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/ipodrip.php

I am pretty sure when you connect iPod A to Computer B it will ask if you want to Sync to the new library. But just to be on the safe side set each iPod to update Manually in iTunes. Right click on the iPod in iTunes and select Options--Manually Manage. This will prevent iTunes and iPods from syncing automatically.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
you can also copy all the songs over in the terminal window. i don't know how though, i made my brother fix it all up for me.

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
there are free ways to do this

If you just wanna copy music, drag the music onto the ipod like a hard drive, then add to library from the hard drive. and then when you are done, synch with itunes to turn the ipod into a music player.

here's a nifty script for copying ipod tracks (freely):

and a couple other things ;)

fetch art, remove art, copy songs, enjoy.

Attachments

• Itunes Scripts.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 106

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Why not just transfer the songs via Rendevous? Or connect the two powerbooks using Target Mode. Both ways skip using the iPod, thus decreasing headaches.

Your question reminded me of standardized test questions. If powerbook A were to take a train to ...... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.