Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millwright55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
how do I use the iPod touch to connect to the internet through Macbook Pro with an aircard connected to the internet, and airport turned on?

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
how do I use the iPod touch to connect to the internet through Macbook Pro with an aircard connected to the internet, and airport turned on?

What?
Sorry, I don't see what you're saying.
Is an Aircard something AT&T or another wireless carrier sell?

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
dont worry about an aircard.

just jailbreak your iPod and install OpenSSH on it, then get a program called iPhone tunnel Suite (2.7 is a good release though it's kinda hard to find). Just do a google search for iPhone Tunnel Suite 2.7 and that is a stable release. Set it up according to your iPod specs, restart your computer, and see if it works.

Do a google search on how to use iPhone Tunnel Suite, and you can find a good tutorial. You need firefox to get internet, unless you can set up a SOCKS 5 proxy through a mac computer, and then you are good to go. Trust me though, you need a tutorial.

millwright55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
I received an iPod touch as a gift today and set it up with my itunes etc on the mac book pro. We do not have high speed internet at this location so we use an air card which slides into the side of the laptop to connect to the internet. What I am trying to do is access the internet on the iPod touch through airport on the mac book when the aircard is in and connected to the internet. Is this possible? maybe I need to change something with my airport on the laptop? any help would be appreciated
cheers Dan

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
I received an iPod touch as a gift today and set it up with my itunes etc on the mac book pro. We do not have high speed internet at this location so we use an air card which slides into the side of the laptop to connect to the internet. What I am trying to do is access the internet on the iPod touch through airport on the mac book when the aircard is in and connected to the internet. Is this possible? maybe I need to change something with my airport on the laptop? any help would be appreciated
cheers Dan

Go to system preferences and then sharing.

Click on the Internet sharing button under the internet tab (has Start written on it)

Then share the connection from your wireless device in the drop down menu and select where you want it to share to in the box below.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Go to system preferences and then sharing.

Click on the Internet sharing button under the internet tab (has Start written on it)

Then share the connection from your wireless device in the drop down menu and select where you want it to share to in the box below.

Are you sure he can share an ExpressCard connection though?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I would think it would be possible, since it is nothing more than another IP-enabled NIC.

millwright55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Nope, that didn't work.
Shouldn't this iPod touch have bluetooth installed on it from the manufacturer?
cheers

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Nope, that didn't work.
Shouldn't this iPod touch have bluetooth installed on it from the manufacturer?
cheers

Any connection to the net does not require bluetooth. Apple is only using bluetooth for wireless headphones and other audio peripherals.

If you are able to share your express card wirelessly then all you need to do is route the input of the card to the output (also the card if it's capable and you don't have a built in airport card. If you have an airport card then route the input express card to the airport card)

On the Touch you go to Settings - Wi-Fi, turn it on and look for your Mac's name in the networks list.

If this doesn't work then I guess you're out of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.