PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft IE 5.2.1 for OS X

arn
Jul 5, 2002, 06:36 PM
Microsoft released (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/IE/ie521.asp) Internet Explorer 5.2.1 for Mac OS X today:

This latest version_ version 5.2.1_ provides all the latest security and performance enhancements for Internet Explorer_5 for Mac_OS_X

DavPeanut
Jul 5, 2002, 06:59 PM
cool! just updated my 9.2.2 machine, will update my 10.1.5 machine

Kid Red
Jul 5, 2002, 07:13 PM
Don't bother, nothing is changed.

Choppaface
Jul 5, 2002, 07:16 PM
you sure? i bet the EULA has changed....

foniks2020
Jul 5, 2002, 07:30 PM
The Favorites, etc. toolbar now takes up 20% of your screen and can't be adjusted any smaller.

Still takes forever to render a medium sized Slashdot story with comments.

No obvious improvements. Maybe flash runs faster or something.

Mozilla is still #1 in my book.

FelixDerKater
Jul 5, 2002, 07:46 PM
You can't make the Favorites Bar any smaller, but now it isn't as slow to pop out or change to another sidebar item...

Other than that, there isn't too much new.

billiam0878
Jul 5, 2002, 08:07 PM
Maybe it is just me, but it seems like browsing is a little snappier.

Bill

j763
Jul 5, 2002, 08:13 PM
downloaded it and found that it's still as crap as ever...

I'm sticking to mozilla!

fretless
Jul 5, 2002, 08:56 PM
Hi,
I just updated to 5.2.1 and my Favorites (etc) bar hasn't changed at all. It is still a thin bar that pops out, but does not take up a significant portion of the screen.

JtheLemur
Jul 5, 2002, 09:06 PM
Crap as ever, AA type still corrupts itself on 90% of pages, plus names of pages in the title bar are STILL cut off after X amount of characters, leaving the ONLY way to see what's up there opening up the source code! Argh.

-- J

blackpeter
Jul 5, 2002, 10:12 PM
Nothing has changed for me either. I'm just guessing that (once again) M$ is only correcting bugs and flaws that went undetected until released into the general public.

sparkleytone
Jul 6, 2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
Crap as ever, AA type still corrupts itself on 90% of pages, plus names of pages in the title bar are STILL cut off after X amount of characters, leaving the ONLY way to see what's up there opening up the source code! Argh.

-- J

so turn it off.:cool:

HitorMiss
Jul 6, 2002, 08:48 AM
Personally, If you wernt all so ignorent as not to use Windows anyway you would be able to use IE 6!

edesignuk
Jul 6, 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by HitorMiss
Personally, If you wernt all so ignorent as not to use Windows anyway you would be able to use IE 6!
I just love it when a troll comes to town macrumors :mad:
What is it with u people? WTF is your profile all about??????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nipsy
Jul 6, 2002, 09:14 AM

Thanks for that. Let's dissect:

If does not need a capital letter.

wernt should be weren't

ignorent (spelled ignorant) is a better adjective for those who deny their freedoms to follow Microsoft's way. Most of us here have used both, and chosen. That would be called 'enlightened'.

Double negative in clause

IE 6 - Why would anyone want to use IE 6? It is poor in its support for common W3C standards, and primarily a vehicle for advertising pop up Windows, and persistent marketing cookies. I don't get any X-10 ads in Mozilla, and far less obtrusive adveriting in IE for Mac. Furthermore, I've never had a virus, or a malicious VBScipt exploit.

Then there is your sig:
http://www.microsoft.com/library/homepage/images/mslogo-blue.gif
Microsoft - Get the job done today!

An unlinked link (I fixed it for you), and a bad slogan for a mediocre software conglomerate: Get the job done today! Which job would that be? Spreading virii? Writing bad code? Watching Clippy not answer my question? Re-installing Windows because huybfr34.dll was deleted?

Ohhh...going to a Mac site to talk about how cool M$ is.

So, we've learned your a poor speller, a horrible grammarian, don't make a compelling argument, appreciate bad software, know no HTML, and think Windows is spiffy.

Shame I can spell, write, enjoy good software & debate.

Otherwise Windows might be the OS for me!

Backtothemac
Jul 6, 2002, 09:42 AM

I see a little sillouette of a troll.....

Dude, go get a life and play with your crash prone PC. Hope you love it, but grow up.

wsteineker
Jul 6, 2002, 10:07 AM
Holy *****! Nipsy just smoked that ass! Keep up the good work, Nip. Way to bring the pain to the troll!

P.S.- 200th post!!! :D

wsteineker
Jul 6, 2002, 10:11 AM
Has anyone notified Arn about the troll's profile. It's really quite disgusting. I'll do it if no one else has. I don't want to waste the bandwith or storage space on this troglodyte any longer than is absolutely necessary. :)

Nipsy
Jul 6, 2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Holy *****! Nipsy just smoked that ass! Keep up the good work, Nip. Way to bring the pain to the troll!

P.S.- 200th post!!! :D

Thanks for the shout out. One thing though, try not to abbrev my handle, my girlfriend is 100% half Japanese, and wouldn't like to see that on my screen!

wsteineker
Jul 6, 2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Nipsy
Thanks for the shout out. One thing though, try not to abbrev my handle, mt girlfriend is 100% half Japanese, and wouldn't like to see that on my screen!

Hey no problem man. I'll keep that in mind. Sorry to offend! :)

Grokgod
Jul 6, 2002, 10:18 AM
YO BRO,,
You handed that guy what was left of his cranium after smashing it!

HITORMISS~ If you find windows so compelling what are you doing here?

Return to your world of an poorly designed big brother wanna be and constant Pcheese tweaking to build you small deluded ego.

Your posts reek of childish boredom and low intellect.

Begone snail! Before we step on your squishy head.

redAPPLE
Jul 6, 2002, 10:36 AM

UUHHHHHHHHHHH.

i guess windows make oneself IGNORANT and one forgets how to write correctly. spelling i mean.

(see: wernt, ignorent and Windows :D )

AtlantaGuy
Jul 6, 2002, 10:39 AM
Now, now, little lady. How many times have I told you... no playing on Daddy's and Mommy's computer??!! Have you finished your homework yet? How do you expect to get out of summer school and pass the 7th grade if you keep playing around? Now pick up that grammar book and start studying! And don't even think about turning on Nickelodeon until you're done!

redAPPLE
Jul 6, 2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Nipsy

Thanks for the shout out. One thing though, try not to abbrev my handle, mt girlfriend is 100% half Japanese, and wouldn't like to see that on my screen!

I hope the troll does not quote Nipsy by saying "mt girlfriend is 100% half Japanese..."

is wrong...

:D

and "M$ girlfriend is 100% half Japonese..."

have a great weekend folks.

Xapplimatic
Jul 6, 2002, 04:04 PM
Dang Nipsy.. you "nipped" that one in the bud! Lol.. (and yes that was a bad pun, no slur intended).

"All your base is mine" (?)
:)

beatle888
Jul 6, 2002, 04:19 PM
I find it strange that Windowz user's come to mac sites
only to bash. I've been a mac user since 1990 and have
never even bothered to go to a PC site to tell them that
theres a better OS out there. I just don't even think
about them.

I've used PC's before. Usually at work in the business
departments (trying to help someone out 'cause they
cant figure thier computer out) and I really dont think
there all that bad but I dont want one. I think of PC's
as a huge calculator. I think of the mac as a creative tool.

boobers
Jul 6, 2002, 06:08 PM
I gotta say that despite it being a .30 release Chimera is the best damn browser i have used on any computer. By best i mean, Fanf@#kin tastic! speed,W3C compliant, way faster .swf playback, pretty etc.. As a web developer, i keep a copy of Xploder on my system to check sites out..also i use it to download as Chimera doesn't do that well yet..As for Mozilla..well, it looks like, umm Netscape 4.7....Slow on the boot but the page renders fast..however it seems to have some issues some of the time.

I look forward to the next Chimera release..Apple seems to like it as well, since they have been using it for demos at Expo's.

bretm
Jul 7, 2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by boobers
I gotta say that despite it being a .30 release Chimera is the best damn browser i have used on any computer. By best i mean, Fanf@#kin tastic! speed,W3C compliant, way faster .swf playback, pretty etc.. As a web developer, i keep a copy of Xploder on my system to check sites out..also i use it to download as Chimera doesn't do that well yet..As for Mozilla..well, it looks like, umm Netscape 4.7....Slow on the boot but the page renders fast..however it seems to have some issues some of the time.

I look forward to the next Chimera release..Apple seems to like it as well, since they have been using it for demos at Expo's.

Chimera failed on the first 4 websites I went to just like mozilla, netscape, omniweb.

Take the test yourself. And to make it fair, the first three are sites selling macintosh products, so they should be pretty interested in making sites that work on a mac. http://www.macmall.com - dhtml popup menus come up in upper left corner http://www.fontreserve.com - a gosh awful mess in general http://www.clubmac.com - similar issues to macmall with the menus http://www.joecartoon.com is a big mess. Everythign there is flash.

But hey. I'm sure that chimera works great on plain old version 1 html code.

It seemed pretty slow as well.

just my .02

krossfyter
Jul 7, 2002, 01:51 AM
hey its a gocyrus clone. heh.

yeah i think mozilla is looking for some peeps to write java code so thier browser will work on most sites. i have tried most all these alternative browsers...mozilla, omniweb, navigator...etc. etc. while i like the tabs and the stability of mozilla.... i can stand the fact that i have to go back to IE to view a certain page that is not compatible with the others. thats sucks. so untill they get thier browsers just as compatible as IE i will have to stick to IE.

j763
Jul 7, 2002, 04:01 AM
Well, at least we know that when John Dvorak dies of a heart attack (fat b@st@rd), he'll have many morons ready to take his place.

j763
Jul 7, 2002, 04:32 AM
sry dbl post

gandalf55
Jul 7, 2002, 09:31 AM
im trying chimera now, and its a speed demon. ya, not everything is there yet (dhtml, etc) but it's only @ 0.3 right now. hang tight. it's reallly impressive so far!

mozilla is my fav so far, that and chimera. ie 5.1 was good, 5.2 is lame. but 5.2 works on all the sites i visit. i think i'm basically finished with IE now. i'll use it and test with it, but my hopes are with chimera. in a short amount of time, it's made me smile. and IE has made me frown a lot lately. the msn homepage unalterable default alone is a slap in the face. what's next? microsoft ad banners built into the status bar of IE 5.3? Gag.

mrwalker
Jul 7, 2002, 11:06 AM
Is IE now (again) more unstable? I felt the last update was an improvement, but now it seems worse than EVER. Will it even crash before I am able to post this message? ...

blackpeter
Jul 7, 2002, 11:16 AM
Resizing the IE window seems snappier than ever.

gandalf55
Jul 7, 2002, 11:37 AM
no faster than mozilla resizing.

Mac DV
Jul 7, 2002, 03:51 PM
I have always used IE until yesterday. After all this talk about how crappy it is, I switched to Mozilla. And it is awesome. It really is snappier. I don't know if it is page render time or something completely different, but Mozilla is faster in every way. And it automatically imported all me IE bookmarks! Nice. I'm hooked. BTW I don't work for Mozilla.

Mac DV out

matznentosh
Jul 7, 2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by bretm

Chimera failed on the first 4 websites I went to just like mozilla, netscape, omniweb.

Take the test yourself. And to make it fair, the first three are sites selling macintosh products, so they should be pretty interested in making sites that work on a mac. http://www.macmall.com - dhtml popup menus come up in upper left corner http://www.fontreserve.com - a gosh awful mess in general http://www.clubmac.com - similar issues to macmall with the menus http://www.joecartoon.com is a big mess. Everythign there is flash.

just my .02

Sorry, all four appear just fine to me, I just went there with Netscape.

awrc
Jul 7, 2002, 10:04 PM

just my .02

Was it even worth that? FWIW, this evening I registered with my health insurance provider so I could get access to online information re progress of my health claims, etc. The site's *very* heavy on Javascript, DHTML, etc.

It completely killed IE 5.2 - first time I loaded the site it got into an endless loop, reloading the same page over and over again. Second time I actually got in but found that the navigation links (which were Javascript URLs) didn't work and the DHTML menus appeared far from where they were supposed to and didn't actually work.

Worked first time in Chimera. All of it.

I'll concede that Chimera may not work properly on all sites, but that's why it's still version 0.3. Explorer's at version 5.2.1, what's its excuse? :D

SilvorX
Jul 7, 2002, 10:09 PM
IE6=crud, i DONT like using it at all, but at times i'm forced to use IE6 since some of the webpages i go 2 wont work on moz :(

bretm
Jul 7, 2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by matznentosh

Sorry, all four appear just fine to me, I just went there with Netscape.

You're going to have to show me screenshots to prove that.

The first 3, macmall, clubmac and fontreserve all display dhtml incorrectly in Netscape 6 and 7. Horribly. Font reserve even on just the homepage display. All of them display the DHTML menu items correctly. I'm referring to the pull down menus that appear in the menu bars and tabs. Of course they don't appear as pull-downs in Netscape. Rolling over items in macmall shows a big menu in the upper left-hand corner of the browser and most of the time is completely unuseable in that it disappears as you try to get to it. Club mac displays a pull down that displays above and below the tab. It also just kinda stays there. Font reserve has got table/graphic slicing all over the place and ditto in it's dhtml menus. I'll assume joe cartoon is fine on netscape. Chimera was the only one that had a problem there.

I prefer thinking of a browser as a tool to display the graphic design of a site as it was designed. If it can't do that it's pointless.

How many posts here started out... "yeah, Mozilla doesn't display sites as well, but I hate IE..." Sounds like you're making my point for me.

Sounds like everyone WANTS to hate IE, but since the great majority of sites display correctly I can't see the point. Tabs and microscopic speed differences don't mean a whole lot when pages are a mess.

robotrenegade
Jul 8, 2002, 01:02 PM
UPS does not support IE 5.2.1. So i have to go back to 5.1

boobers
Jul 8, 2002, 01:30 PM
Fisrt off it gives the mac a bad name because of its slowassed page rendering. Then journalists go writing bad stories about how slow the web is on a mac.(There was a story like this last month) Its a Microskank product and i would rather not use them for many consumer-political reasons.
Exploder can't handle some forms. Exploder sux with swf files. Also sometimes i'll be sitting there looking at a blank screeen and wondering where the page is..i know its loaded but i have to resize the window and then it will display it. Grrrr that makes me mad. Chimera is Better!! Chimera is Cocoa! Its only a .3 release for the doubters..give it some time.
i still use Exploder but i am slowly "switching" :)

zedwards
Jul 8, 2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by boobers
...As a web developer, i keep a copy of Xploder on my system to check sites out..also i use it to download as Chimera doesn't do that well yet..As for Mozilla..well, it looks like, umm Netscape 4.7....Slow on the boot but the page renders fast..however it seems to have some issues some of the time.

I find IE for mac useless in testing. It actually is way too forgiving when rendering. It is almost a guarantee that if I didn't check things out with IE for PC (in Virtual PC), and just used the mac version, there are bound to be some issues.

As for my own personal browsing pleasure (no pop-ups + tabbed-browsing = Mozilla) is the way to go. The only sites that a person can't usually access are heavy commercial sites. IMO there are about 50 websites worth going to anyways, the rest (or at least the ones that I can't view) can be a magnet for other peoples money, not mine.

transistor
Jul 8, 2002, 06:41 PM
What's there left to say about IE 5.2.1?
Well, their implementation of Quartz is not quite right. Check the snapshot.
It seems that some fonts and/or sizes can't be rendered right by IE 5.2.1
What a shock, huh? :D

For me OmniWeb is THE browser for personal use. The only thing I feel is missing is the ability to resume a broken download.
I have them all (Netscape, iCab, Mozilla, OmniWeb, Opera, IE and Chimera) for testing and previewing purposes.
However sometimes I like to change and see the web with a different browser.

Oh! Nipsy... absolutely GREAT job on that troll there! great job! :cool:

iH8Quark
Jul 8, 2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
UPS does not support IE 5.2.1. So i have to go back to 5.1

UPS works fine, dude. Just tracked a package. (I wish I was tracking a new Xserve) :D

wwworry
Jul 9, 2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Choppaface
you sure? i bet the EULA has changed....

Did you see the part where it said if you use Java it (the Java) might kill you?

hamishb
Jul 9, 2002, 09:21 AM
I am unable to see the titles of the forums on either the main page or the forum page in IE 5.2 under OS X.

I can read them fine in IE under Classic, and using IE 5.x for Win 2000.

Any ideas why IE is not rendering them?

chmorley
Jul 9, 2002, 12:28 PM
How many posts here started out... "yeah, Mozilla doesn't display sites as well, but I hate IE..." Sounds like you're making my point for me.

Sounds like everyone WANTS to hate IE, but since the great majority of sites display correctly I can't see the point. Tabs and microscopic speed differences don't mean a whole lot when pages are a mess.
You must be reading a different forum. I have never seen a post by someone who actually uses Mozilla who says it has rendering problems.

Mozilla has no rendering problems on my machine. It hasn't since 0.9.6.

Mozilla is much faster on my machine (TiBook 667, 512 MB RAM, DSL).

Mozilla is much more stable on my machine. I have had it crash maybe twice in the past 6 months. IE crashes on me about every 2 hours or so.

Have you tried Mozilla? You might like it.

I only use IE about once every two months--when I have to view Windows Media stuff--makes me wonder why their plugin only works in their browser.

Chris

redAPPLE
Jul 9, 2002, 02:35 PM
hi guys.

is there an independent site somewhere, which benchmarks browsers?

these

"...IE crashes every 2 hours..."

"... renders too slowly..."

"IE sucks..."

"MicroCRAP's IE..."

etc. makes me start to think.

i don't plan to offend anyone here, but i would like to question these statements.

i have tried and tested the other browsers, but i hate it when i need to change browsers, because the page can't be read well etc.

"unfortunately" i am basically stuck with IE (when it comes to "compatibility"). until the others work a lot better. i think omniweb works a lot better (but that is just my opinion).

i would love to see a thing like a benchmark... does anyone here have the time and patience to test browsers independently?

it would help mac users a lot and surely we would then support the browser. i am sure of that.

Moonlight
Jul 9, 2002, 02:38 PM
I have not had any problems with ie 5.2.1, and I love the smooth velvety text...Mmmmmm But I did find something alarming: when I upgraded it reset my preference for my home page to MSN.com, ok whatever, but I tried to access something on msn.com (I don't remember what) and it said I had to be running windows to view that page !!!! what the ******* ??? Isn't the web supposed to be platform independant ? why is MS making web pages windows only ?? it wasn't like I was trying to download some complex thing, it was just a normal html page...

chmorley
Jul 9, 2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
hi guys.

is there an independent site somewhere, which benchmarks browsers?

these

<comments></comments>

etc. makes me start to think.

i don't plan to offend anyone here, but i would like to question these statements.

i have tried and tested the other browsers, but i hate it when i need to change browsers, because the page can't be read well etc.

"unfortunately" i am basically stuck with IE (when it comes to "compatibility"). until the others work a lot better. i think omniweb works a lot better (but that is just my opinion).

i would love to see a thing like a benchmark... does anyone here have the time and patience to test browsers independently?

it would help mac users a lot and surely we would then support the browser. i am sure of that.
No offense taken. I can assure you that IE crashes on my machine at least every 2 hours. I use Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage. I use the software that runs best on my machine, regardless of who makes it. If IE was the best browser, I would use it.

The last browser benchmarks I saw were from Chimera on 3/7/02. Unfortunately, the link is now dead. It showed that Chimera was the fastest, followed by Opera, then OW, with IE in last place. While OW has gotten faster since then, I don't believe IE has changed. It is likely still the slowest browser available for OS X.

Try Mozilla. You won't have to switch to view other pages. Period.

Chris

TechLarry
Jul 10, 2002, 02:06 PM

IE 6 is the Buggiest, Slowest, most Crash-Prone version of IE that MS has ever realeased for ANY platform.

It's truly horrible.

I stick with IE 5.01 SP2 on all my machines where I have that capability. It's so much faster and stable there's no comparison.

I'm stuck with it on XP, though :(

TL

wsteineker
Jul 10, 2002, 02:10 PM
I agree, Larry. I had the "opportunity" to use IE 6 at my parents house this morning. Simply awful. It crashed 3 times in an hour, and it CHOKED on a few pages (ESPN.com, MacRumors, Slashdot) that I've never had a problem with before. All that despite their wicked fast DSL line. Damn Microsoft! ;)

Macette
Jul 21, 2002, 05:25 AM
not really where the discussion is at at the moment, but better than starting a new thread...

has anybody found that when they set their home page in IE 5.2.1 prefs (mine's macrumors :D ) that it just reverts to msn.com when you restart the program? it sticks while you keep the program open, but it resets after every quit.

that stinks... anybody got a suggestion on how i might fix it?

AlphaTech
Jul 21, 2002, 01:24 PM
I don't have any problem with ie retaining the homepage that I set it to. Then again, I also have it set to open to a blank page, not the home page when I start up ie.