PDA

View Full Version : Converting VHS to digital video

zcamann
Jun 21, 2009, 07:51 PM
I wanted to convert some old VHS tapes to digital video in imovie. Could I use a generic $5 RCA to usb converter cable from eBay? Or do I need some kind of fancy converter box?

notjustjay
Jun 21, 2009, 09:20 PM
I would do it by getting (borrowing?) a miniDV camcorder with a Firewire connection. Play the VHS tape in your VCR, hook it up to the inputs on the camcorder. Most miniDV camcorders will automatically transcode the signal to Firewire, which you then import into iMovie. You don't even need to have a tape in the camcorder.

zcamann
Jun 22, 2009, 06:21 PM
I would do it by getting (borrowing?) a miniDV camcorder with a Firewire connection. Play the VHS tape in your VCR, hook it up to the inputs on the camcorder. Most miniDV camcorders will automatically transcode the signal to Firewire, which you then import into iMovie. You don't even need to have a tape in the camcorder.

I was using a camcorder, but the VHS tape had a few bad frames that were corrupting my mini DV tapes. So I was thinking I could bypass the camera by using an RCA to usb cable with a usb to firewire adapter. I hadn't considered using the camcorder without the tape - will give it a try tonight. Thanks for the tip.

spice weasel
Jun 22, 2009, 06:28 PM
I was using a camcorder, but the VHS tape had a few bad frames that were corrupting my mini DV tapes. So I was thinking I could bypass the camera by using an RCA to usb cable with a usb to firewire adapter. I hadn't considered using the camcorder without the tape - will give it a try tonight. Thanks for the tip.

How was it corrupting your miniDV tape? It should just record whatever is playing straight to miniDV. If there is snow, tracking problems, or other issues, it will just record that. Very odd.

zcamann
Jun 23, 2009, 06:10 PM
How was it corrupting your miniDV tape? It should just record whatever is playing straight to miniDV. If there is snow, tracking problems, or other issues, it will just record that. Very odd.

When I would import that tape into iMovie, there would be larg pixelated boxes along the right hand side of the tape. When I would record something else on the same miniDV tape, the large boxes would show up over what I was recording. Its like my miniDV tape now puts pixelated boxes over whatever I record.