PDA

View Full Version : Help! DVD-RW crapped out with data...

meta-ghost
May 23, 2004, 11:51 PM
help please...

i finally made the jump to panther. backed up my data in 10.2.8 on a pioneer A05 on a couple of DVD-RW's. trouble is.. one disc seems to have an area of damage(?) where it doesn't want to copy the data back to my hard drive in 10.3.3. it says 115 hours of copy time for a small amount of info. other areas on the disc copy over fine. anyway to get it repaired?

f.y.i. the disc previously had data and i went to disk utility and erased it. then used toast to write the data dvd.

one thing i tried was to make a copy of the dvd in toast but got an error message midway through ("couldn't complete the last command because there was an I/O error").

this happens to be my wife's data so the emergency is slightly greater.

FuzzyBallz
May 24, 2004, 12:17 AM
Sigh, RW media are notorious for bad quality and corruption prone. Should've used plain DVD-R. Which brand and model of DVD-RW did you buy exactly?

Any chance you have a PC w/ DVD-ROM to read the DVD-RW discs you burned on the Mac?

You can also dry Disk Warrior for Mac and see if it can recover/piece together the data. Doubtful though.

meta-ghost
May 24, 2004, 10:18 AM
Any chance you have a PC w/ DVD-ROM to read the DVD-RW discs you burned on the Mac?

good idea, i'll try it. don't know what i was thinking. these were some cheap extra memorex disks that i didn't want to "trust" with my dvd's (only my most important data - ugh)

meta-ghost
May 24, 2004, 12:39 PM
You can also dry Disk Warrior for Mac and see if it can recover/piece together the data. Doubtful though.

you mean from the hard drive that was "erased" during the 10.3 installation?