PDA

View Full Version : WC3 - How to create a Lan network through internet?

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 12:33 AM
I would like to play with friends who do not have access to battlenet without having a direct connection.

How do you create a LAN network over the internet using IP addresses etc?

Two of those people have a PC and I have a mac.

I would appreciate your help.

Veldek
May 24, 2004, 01:42 AM
Why do you want to make this over the Internet? Just make a simple LAN game, there’s no need to connect to Battle.net.

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 02:08 AM
Because we arent all in the same location and only one of us has access to battlenet.

WC3 restricts you to Local Area Networks or Battlenet to play multiplayer games.

So how do you create a LAN game when you are all in different areas. I know its possible, i just dont know how.

Darwin
May 24, 2004, 02:10 AM
What exactually are you trying to do?

You want to have a LAN game over the Internet?

Why don't you just have everyone join Battle.net and setup a custom game?

In what way do you mean they don't have access to it?

If you wanted to share a LAN online that might be a silly, unsecure idea, which at this point I'm not sure is necessary

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 02:16 AM
My friends dont have access to battlenet as mentioned above. Hence creating custom games on BNET is not possible.

Ill paraphrase my question. How do you create a local area network for WC3 when those wanting to create the network are in different locations.

Darwin
May 24, 2004, 02:19 AM
My friends dont have access to battlenet as mentioned above. Hence creating custom games on BNET is not possible.

Ill paraphrase my question. How do you create a local area network for WC3 when those wanting to create the network are in different locations.

Why don't they have access?

I don't know of a way to do this LAN in different locations, kinda defeats the object of LAN (Local Area Network)

It is possible but only if you get an ethernet cable and take it to your friends house and plug it into his computer :rolleyes:

dopefiend
May 24, 2004, 02:22 AM
It is possible but only if you get an ethernet cable and take it to your friends house and plug it into his computer :rolleyes:

Exactly, I think your looking for a WAN option.

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 02:23 AM
1. Their CD keys were banned.

2. Blizzard removed support for IP address type games in WC3. Thus the only method to play internet games without Bnet is through a fake LAN network that tricks WC3 into thinking the players are physically connected to each other.

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 02:24 AM
BTW - one of these players lives in a different country altogether.

Darwin
May 24, 2004, 02:25 AM
Exactly, I think your looking for a WAN option.

exactually, Battle.net is for long distance playing, LAN is not, they have to be in the same area or house to do that :)

Darwin
May 24, 2004, 02:26 AM
BTW - one of these players lives in a different country altogether.

I was kinda being sarcastic :p

But if your not going through B.net then it has to be that way

Again what is the problem with the others joining Battle.net? :confused:

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 02:32 AM
1. Their CD keys were banned.

2. Blizzard removed support for IP address type games in WC3. Thus the only method to play internet games without Bnet is through a fake LAN network that tricks WC3 into thinking the players are physically connected to each other.

I.e. Their CD keys were banned. =)

Darwin
May 24, 2004, 02:33 AM
I.e. Their CD keys were banned. =)

LOL :D

At this point they might aswell buy new games (CD Keys)

Because that is alot easier to do they finding a work around

Sorry, but thats the only way to my knowledge :(

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 02:36 AM
Does anyone know what they are talking about? Lol.

Key word: a "fake" local area network.

dopefiend
May 24, 2004, 02:44 AM
Key word: a "fake" local area network.

http://wc3net.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=112

Description: Play WarCraft III over TCP/IP instead of Battle.NET!

There you go.

Other.au
May 24, 2004, 04:01 AM
Thanx

nspeds
May 24, 2004, 07:18 AM
Thanx

Yup, the program is called Lancraft and it works like a charm...

Veldek
May 30, 2004, 10:46 AM
You made me curious. I tried it with my friend, but we couldn't see each others games. He runs a PC and we tried BattleLAN and LANcraft, I use Farsight. I opened the port 6112 in my Airport base station. What did we forget?