Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hi all. I finally made the plunge for the Canon 50mm f/1.2L lens. The f/1.4 has been an amazing lens (I have a brilliant copy) and I have absolutely no complaints. But, there have been a few times where I've needed a little extra light at 50mm (mainly wedding receptions) and I found a pretty good price online.

I don't know if I'll be able to post an in-depth review (there are a ton already out there) but I will certainly report back any issues if I find them. I was worried about the [back]focus issue that some people have had, but my understanding is that Canon has addressed that, and that the scarcity of some lenses in the past few months has been to dry up supplies and pass down new stock from the company itself. We'll see.

Also, if anyone has experience with the lens and how it behaves (bad or good) - I'd love for you to share your thoughts.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
That's a pricey upgrade! But then again, I've always envied your inventory Grimace. And your purple body.

I rented the 50 1.2L a little while ago and loved it - I think it's gorgeous. It's just very very very shallow at 1.2 (as I'm sure you've discovered) - there is little room to move once you focus. I was able to get a few shots right on where I wanted focused at 1.2, and those are buttery soft images. I'm excited to see what you can do with it! Be sure to share :)

Bryan Niven (featured on apple.com) blogged about this awhile ago when he bought the lens, not sure if he ever did the review he mentions - but he liked it!

Bryan Niven Blog

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I've only ever touched one once.

Beautiful lens, amazing bokeh, and better contrast than the f/1.4. I guess images just seemed a little more vibrant from it.

Can't really comment beyond that. Enjoy it, and let us know how it works for you.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Thanks for the link -- I hadn't seen that review. It must be somewhat old, as it is talking about the lens when it was new. I know that Canon has tweaked a few focus kinks out. Word on the street is that it is a sensitive lens - ie. you can't be trigger-happy and expect great results. Being deliberate about each shot is something that we all should do, but this lens may force me to really think about everything that I am doing.

f/1.2 is pretty extreme, and I imagine that I'll be around 1.4, 1.6, or 1.8 most of the time.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I love my 50L, probably my favourite lens out of my kit bag. I picked up a good copy back in August '07, though it did fall apart about 7 months later and had to be sent off to Canon for warranty repair (the whole front element and barrel fell off!).

Enjoy :)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I own the 85/1.2L, as you do. Can you comment on why the need to buy the 50 as well? Seems those two are so close in focal length. the 85 certainly doesn't focus quickly, 50 faster?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I own the 85/1.2L, as you do. Can you comment on why the need to buy the 50 as well? Seems those two are so close in focal length. the 85 certainly doesn't focus quickly, 50 faster?

Great question, and one I've been asking myself for almost a year. The 85mm, as a longer lens, provides even lusher bokeh at an equivalent aperture setting. But, for weddings, events, etc. the 85mm is occasionally just long enough that I am back too far. In close quarters, or with lots of people milling about, I find that someone will walk into the shot. Or, to properly use the 85mm, I'd have to shoo people out of the way so I can back up.

I can't imagine going to an event without my 85mm, but the 50mm should add some flexibility for the times when I need to remain closer to the subjects.

Haha well I find myself using my 135mm a lot for weddings and such, thanks to the amazing DOF and sharpness. You should keep it. You've got pretty much the whole range of prime lenses! Nothing beats prime...Ever.

Fiercetiger, you provide such sage advice. I constantly tell people that primes are unbeatable, and that we should just "zoom with our feet" more and stop being lazy. Now it's time to heed my own advice!!

I'll keep it for a while, and hope the finances hold up!

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Well it's about goddamn time Grimace! That one non-L lens in your signature was like a homeless person begging for change on the street... like a chevy in a parking lot full of BMWs. Frankly I'm surprised you sloshed along with that blue-collar lens as long as you did ;););)

j/k. But seriously, you've got every camera and lens a Canon afficiando would ever want (5-figure rare L-series super-telephotos notwithstanding).

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Fiercetiger, you provide such sage advice. I constantly tell people that primes are unbeatable, and that we should just "zoom with our feet" more and stop being lazy. Now it's time to heed my own advice!!

I'll keep it for a while, and hope the finances hold up!

Haha yup! Just zoom with your feet and you'll be fine. Hell, you got TWO full frame cameras! You're more versatile than most! So keep that 135mm on one, and maybe the 50mm on the other. You'll be unstoppable! :D

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
Don't be fooled by any of the reviews.

EVERY and I stress the word EVERY EF 50mm f/1.2L has the focus-shift anomaly. However, that being said, it's quite simple to work around it. It only happens when you're within the MFD. I owned mine for almost a year, I only just recently sold it off because I wasn't using it very much, certainly not enough to justify hanging on to it.

It is a truly outstanding lens honestly. It's Bokeh is second to none. You'll be pleased with it, just be careful wide open and within close focus range.

I'm using the f/1.4 version again and it's pretty decent. But I'm tempted to try out the sigma myself.

Have fun!

Nice kit by the way! Got some sweet glass there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.