PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2

Nermal
May 24, 2004, 07:17 AM
Some of you may remember me posting a petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/hl2mac/) last year for a Mac version of Half-Life 2. Well, it's nearly up to 4000 posts, so I decided to comment on what's happened so far. Take a look at the list of signatories (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?hl2mac), you'll find my comments at number 3984. However, for all you lazy people ;), here you go:

I am the petition author, and I thought it was about time I posted an update. We're very close to 4000 signatures. Judging by Amazon's price of $49.99, 4000 copies = nearly $200 000. I'm no expert, but surely it would cost less than that to develop a Mac version, so hopefully Valve will realise that they can develop a Mac version and still turn a profit. It would probably be best if Valve could release the Mac and Windows versions in the same box, so that "switchers" don't have to buy a new copy when they get their new Mac. Of course, with Steam this is much less of an issue. While it's on my mind, in the original petition I mentioned porting the OpenGL code - I wrote the petition before Valve announced that HL2 would use DirectX. However, many DirectX games have been ported in the past, so, again, it's really a non-issue. One more thing, my email address has changed since writing the petition, it is now chris@nzweb.net - feel free to send me your questions and comments :)

Of course, having led a petition for a Mac version, I'll have to actually buy it when it comes out, without resorting to BitTorrent :eek:

Sol
May 24, 2004, 08:17 AM
4000 people may have signed the petition but not all of them would actually pay for Half-Life 2. You have to account for the people who will play this game without paying for it.

Having said that, it would be great to have the sequel on the Mac. I am currently playing the original Half-Life on the PS2 and I am loving it. A bit too much loading for me but otherwise it is designed very well.

By the way, did Half-Life licence a graphics engine or is it an original?

chrisblore
May 24, 2004, 08:37 AM
I too would love to see HL2 ported to Mac but I think that it's unlikely that we would even hear any announcement from Valve before the release date of the PC version as they already promised that it would be out quite some time ago and now it looks as though it may not even be released until Christmas. Sad as it may be, we must accept that Windows users still make up the greater share of the world computer markets and therefore software developers will always target them ahead of all others and we will have to wait our turn before any such announcement is made (if it even comes) and that PC owners would kick up one heck of a fuss if Valve were seen to be shifting focus to a Mac version before the PC release.

Chris

neoelectronaut
May 24, 2004, 08:58 AM
By the way, did Half-Life licence a graphics engine or is it an original?

Half-Life used a heavily modified Quake 2 engine.

Nermal
May 24, 2004, 05:51 PM
4000 people may have signed the petition but not all of them would actually pay for Half-Life 2. You have to account for the people who will play this game without paying for it.

Yeah, I did consider that, but wasn't about to post it on the petition site where Valve could see it. Some of the comments on the site said things like "I don't have a Mac, but they should still get all the games". It's nice of them to say that, but it doesn't count as a purchase :(