Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsphipps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
London, UK
Hi,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with a really annoying issue with a recently inherited iPod Video (5th Gen) 80GB.

If I use the iPod everyday it's all fine, it wakes up from where it left off and away I go. However, if I leave it a couple of days and then try using it again, it won't wake up. Button presses, hold switch - nothing works. The only way I can wake it up is to plug it in (Mac or mains adapter) at which point the Apple logo appears for a few seconds and returns to the main menu but the battery is dead even if I left it with a near full battery. It seems as if going in to deep sleep drains the battery.

I had a old 3rd Gen 20GB iPod Click Wheel and although it also used to go into deep sleep after 36-48 hours (normal) it used to wake up no problem with battery life pretty much as I left it.

Has anyone heard of this or know how to fix it?

Many thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No sleep doesn't "kill" the iPod but it goes into a deep deep sleep most likely needing to be woken by that extra burst of power only a plug can provide.

tsphipps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
London, UK
Thanks for the fast response but this is even if I leave it with a near full or full battery. Once it's woken up, I disconnect the cable to see that the battery is in the 1 bar red....

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for the fast response but this is even if I leave it with a near full or full battery. Once it's woken up, I disconnect the cable to see that the battery is in the 1 bar red....

Batteries die over time. It is about time to be thinking about getting a classic or a touch new or as a refurb.

tsphipps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
London, UK
Thanks, but this is only about 18 months old and according to my friend who gave it to me when he got his iPhone, it has done it since day one - he never got round to contacting Apple to get it replaced/repaired.

Has anyone seem this before or know of a fix/workaround?

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.