PDA

View Full Version : Avid on a Mac Mini!

BadDude
Jun 22, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share that yesterday I purchased a new Mac Mini. When I got home I installed Avid Media Composer Software 3.5 as posted on Avid's website (a 14-day trial) and it actually worked.

I haven't done anything heavy with it, not sure when my system will bottom out... But I managed to import a .DV file and add a Color Correction plug-in on a new track. It played back fine without even having to render! (Coming from an office with an Avid XPress running on a Pentium III, this is a big deal...)

Avid's new student pricing for the software is $300, I might make the purchase once I get an idea how far I can push the system. But Avid/Digidesign have a bad habit of not keeping track with current Operating Systems. It look Pro Tools like a year or something to run on Vista. Hopefully this will play nice with Quick Time X in September...

I've been using Final Cut Express for my home editing, but I'll try my next music video in Avid MC. I'll post the results here.

I know being an Avid is like being in a special club. FCP is the common NLE on these forums, but back in the day Avid was Apple exclusive.

djkirsten
Jun 22, 2009, 12:07 PM
Don't worry, as a full-time FCP editor, there is still a warm spot in my heart for Avid :)

Avid on my friend....Avid on.

daceymathers
May 3, 2011, 06:03 AM
Final Cut Pro(FCP) is a non-linear editing software application developed by Macromedia.The software allows users to log and capture video onto a hard drive (internal or external), where it can be edited, processed, and output to a wide variety of formats.FCP gives an impression of openness, flexibility and ease, especially at the beginning -- the beginning of a project, and also to editors new to the program.Through avid you can edit and monitor a very wide variety of formats for a cheaper overall system cost, but you must take complete charge of all the ins and outs of the workflow, making sure you know how you're going to move/convert media at each step without losing quality, metadata, breaking connections, breaking master clips, etc.

simsaladimbamba
May 3, 2011, 06:06 AM
Final Cut Pro(FCP) is a non-linear editing software application developed by Macromedia.The software allows users to log and capture video onto a hard drive (internal or external), where it can be edited, processed, and output to a wide variety of formats.FCP gives an impression of openness, flexibility and ease, especially at the beginning -- the beginning of a project, and also to editors new to the program.Through avid you can edit and monitor a very wide variety of formats for a cheaper overall system cost, but you must take complete charge of all the ins and outs of the workflow, making sure you know how you're going to move/convert media at each step without losing quality, metadata, breaking connections, breaking master clips, etc.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for reviving an old thread to post this information, which seemingly has nothing to do with the OP's intentions.
Care to share the reason, why you did that and how you came upon this thread?

mBox
May 3, 2011, 08:20 AM
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for reviving an old thread to post this information, which seemingly has nothing to do with the OP's intentions.
Care to share the reason, why you did that and how you came upon this thread?Haha I to was shocked to read that. Its been awhile since thats been mentioned.

simsaladimbamba
May 3, 2011, 08:28 AM
Haha I to was shocked to read that. Its been awhile since thats been mentioned.

Now that I read that resurrection post again, especially this part
Through avid you can edit and monitor a very wide variety of formats for a cheaper overall system cost
I am reminded of a diploma a friend wrote in an international broadcast network about switching from Avid News Cutter and all the Windows editing hardware and equipment to all Mac OS X editing equipment and using FCP instead.
The result was, that using Macs and FCP would be only a third as expensive as continuing with Avid MC and Windows, even when considering the retraining of 90 editors.

In the end the network stayed with Avid, as Avid lobbied hard enough.

mBox
May 3, 2011, 09:00 AM
In the end the network stayed with Avid, as Avid lobbied hard enough.With that many seats Im sure Avid can be very persuasive.
We have two seats and pay yearly support for the Nitris seat.
For the past few years they would call and ask if we want to ugrade to Nitris DX, meanwhile we've had the upgrade for years now :P