PDA

View Full Version : Can i sell a song i made with Garageband?

Skika
Jun 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hi!

i made a song using Garageband and i am wondering if i can sell it like to a singer?

I made a latino track using magic garageband which i exported to cubase on my PC where i messed with arrangement and added drums etc...

GoCubsGo
Jun 22, 2009, 09:14 AM
If you are the original artist of the song then yes. If you're looking for outlets to sell songs then to be perfectly honest, myspace has been a nice conduit for independent artists to sell their work. You could also probably use the PayPal merchant tools to sell on a website. This all applies to latino mixes as well.

AdeFowler
Jun 22, 2009, 09:22 AM
If you contact Apple re iTunes they'll send you a list of agencies that will put your song on the store for you.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/contentproviders/faq.html

pkoch1
Jun 22, 2009, 11:31 AM
He is looking to sell the track to a singer to sing along with.

It doesn't seem like he is the original artist, but that's okay because Apple loops are licensed for sale as long as you don't sell just the loop in its original form.

ChrisA
Jun 22, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hi!

i made a song using Garageband and i am wondering if i can sell it like to a singer?

Yes. All those loops are licensed such that you can sell songs made from them.

How to actually sell the track is a harder question. I think Apple will put the track on iTune for a setup fee that is around (from memory) $200. So if you think you will sell more than 200 copies iTunes might be a way to go.

I think you will find out what record companies have known for years. Promoting a recording is that hard part of the business. "Anyone" can make music. Convincing people to buy it is the hard part.

Skika
Jun 22, 2009, 11:50 AM

It doesn't seem like he is the original artist, but that's okay because Apple loops are licensed for sale as long as you don't sell just the loop in its original form.

Yes:).

I am not concerned with the track itself being sold, that will be the singer's job once it is recorded. I am just producing it.

Good to know i can do it:)

SamtheDrummer
Jun 22, 2009, 04:48 PM

As long as they arent in their original form?
What is classed as not being original form, how much do you have to change them?

Paul Ashton
Jun 23, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original form means just the raw loop.

As soon as you start joining them together then it is already a different track. I guess this sounds too easy, yes it is. Does it sound original? Anyone can easily make the same track.... Does it sound good? That's what is important.

If I use samples, I tend to use samples and loops from different sources (all with licenses paid for). That way, it is unlikely that someone will use the same samples.

SamtheDrummer
Jun 23, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original form means just the raw loop.

As soon as you start joining them together then it is already a different track. I guess this sounds too easy, yes it is. Does it sound original? Anyone can easily make the same track.... Does it sound good? That's what is important.

If I use samples, I tend to use samples and loops from different sources (all with licenses paid for). That way, it is unlikely that someone will use the same samples.

So if you were to use a single loop e.g. a drum beat you couldnt sell that, but if you used two different drum loops you could then sell it?

I've always wondered this so thanks!

myca
Jun 23, 2009, 10:22 AM
So if you were to use a single loop e.g. a drum beat you couldnt sell that, but if you used two different drum loops you could then sell it?

I've always wondered this so thanks!

That's roughly the way it works, Don't know if anyone remember The Artful Dodger track called 'Moving too Fast'.

Well I remember unpacking my Proteus 2000 some years ago, and pressing the audition button, only to find the exact riff that was used throughout that whole track. At the time I thought it was Lazy and cheap for them to use it, now in hindsight I think it was genius (well they will have made a pretty penny).
:rolleyes:

mannix87
Jun 28, 2009, 03:06 AM
yes. the loops are royalty free. just check out rhianna's 'Umbrella", they used drum beats "Live Edgy Drums 12" which are Apple Loops.

musio
Jun 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
unless your in a major deal, don't worry about it. you'll be fine.;)

salientstimulus
Jul 3, 2009, 10:16 AM
Check out CDBaby.net and TuneCore. Both of these outfits can put the song into all major online music stores: iTunes (US, Canada, Europe, Japan), eMusic, Rhapsody, etc. It is purely a distribution deal, i.e., they retain no rights whatsoever to the music.

CDbaby costs about $50 upfront and takes a 9% cut of your sales, TuneCore costs less upfront and takes 0% of your sales, but charges an annual maintenance fee (~$20) to keep it online. Neither of them really do any promotion, so that's up to you & the artist.

polaris20
Jul 15, 2009, 04:22 PM
Check out CDBaby.net and TuneCore. Both of these outfits can put the song into all major online music stores: iTunes (US, Canada, Europe, Japan), eMusic, Rhapsody, etc. It is purely a distribution deal, i.e., they retain no rights whatsoever to the music.

CDbaby costs about $50 upfront and takes a 9% cut of your sales, TuneCore costs less upfront and takes 0% of your sales, but charges an annual maintenance fee (~$20) to keep it online. Neither of them really do any promotion, so that's up to you & the artist.

Ditto on the Tunecore. That's what I plan to use when I (finally) finish my CD.

ChrisA
Jul 16, 2009, 12:34 AM
Here is what Apple has to say, cut and pasted from the actual license....

... You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual Apple loops, audio files, sound settings, samples and impulse responses may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound files, sound effects or music beds. ...

From my reading of this as long as you've used the loops as intended, that is to add them into something you've made then what you've made is yours to do with as you like.