Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why do you shoot a lot of it? ;)

I admit I have not shot film in quite some time. I retired my two large format cameras a year ago and regretted it ever since. However, I am mostly shooting digital and probably will just continue. I loved Kodachrome myself but frankly digital cameras are so inexpensive these days and anyone who owns one is suddenly a professional photographer so who cares about film right? </sarcasm

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
Thanks gkarris for beating me to the punch! Paul Simon's song was the first thing in my head when I read the story. I will miss Kodachrome as I still shoot film occasionally with my trusty Leica IIIc when I want a certain look. Goodbye Kodachrome, you will be missed..

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Thanks gkarris for beating me to the punch! Paul Simon's song was the first thing in my head when I read the story.

Considering the article title was...Sorry, Paul Simon, Kodak’s axing Kodachrome. :D

One of the most played songs in my iTunes library.

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
What I don't get...

...is why companies like Kodak and Polaroid won't license the formulas for making these films to boutique companies that want to keep making them. Seems like a win/win to me; photographers can keep the films and processes they love, EK would get royalties, and someone else could build a business around it.

There's a group looking to do it with the Polaroid film packs (Polaroid Lovers Try to Revive Its Instant Film, NY Times May 25, 2009) though they have a long row to hoe with no assistance coming from Polaroid.

ADOX and maco products (under the Rollei name) are selling some old-school black and white emulsions - would they have the facilities to keep Kodachrome going?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I mourned the loss of my favourite film (Fuji Velvia) right up to the moment when I took a deep breath and went digital. In the three years since then, I haven't looked back at film-based photography with any great nostalgia.

I thought my photographic world had ended when my favourite film disappeared. But it wasn't the end at all... just the beginning.. :)

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I mourned the loss of my favourite film (Fuji Velvia) right up to the moment when I took a deep breath and went digital. In the three years since then, I haven't looked back at film-based photography with any great nostalgia.

I thought my photographic world had ended when my favourite film disappeared. But it wasn't the end at all... just the beginning.. :)

I've heard good things about the current Velvia 50; havent shot it myself, but from what I hear it's fairly similar to the original Velvia.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ good point Doylem.
I bought a case of Velvia when I heard the announcement and eventually sold off the remaining stock in the fridge before it expired.

Even still, it'd be nice if I had the space and means to continue to use film right now.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I bought a case of Velvia when I heard the announcement and eventually sold off the remaining stock in the fridge before it expired.

Even still, it'd be nice if I had the space and means to continue to use film right now.

Me too... I bought a stock of Velvia and put it in the fridge. But it was depressing to think my photographic days were almost over (hard to believe now, but that's how I felt then...), and I gave my last few rolls away.

I didn't fire a shutter for maybe a year. Then I stumped up for a Nikon D200, found you can teach an old dog new tricks after all, and haven't looked back since.

I can't think of a single reason for going back to film... ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm still using film and am contemplating switching to digital sometime in the future, but for the present, I have a beautiful "old" Nikon F100 and I love using it.

On topic, I'm always sorry to see the demise of an iconic brand, especially a high quality brand that gave many people much pleasure over the years.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.