PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 266Mhz help -- installing OSX 10.1

TheSandman2236
Jun 22, 2009, 09:43 AM
Just for kicks in our work studio we have a bunch of macs of various ages & models shown around. We just picked up a lime green G3 and we'd like to install 10.1 and run flying toasters on it. Problem is you can't boot to USB (Our USB DVD Drive) to install OSX on it. Is there a way I can take our 10.1 Disk and span it across CD-R's? Or do you guys have another suggestion? Thanks!

Hugh
Jun 22, 2009, 03:02 PM
Just for kicks in our work studio we have a bunch of macs of various ages & models shown around. We just picked up a lime green G3 and we'd like to install 10.1 and run flying toasters on it. Problem is you can't boot to USB (Our USB DVD Drive) to install OSX on it. Is there a way I can take our 10.1 Disk and span it across CD-R's? Or do you guys have another suggestion? Thanks!

I didn't know that Mac OS X 10.1 came on a DVD. My 10.0 and 10.1 upgrade are both on a CD. :/

Hugh

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 22, 2009, 03:03 PM
10.1 never came on DVD. I believe the first OS to come on DVD was 10.4 Tiger Retail. Panther 10.3 Retail came on CDs.

I've had Macs boot from a USB DVD drive before so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think you have to update the firmware in OS9 first before you can run OS-X on it. Click here (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395).

Edit:
Hugh beat me to it! LOL.

CRAZYBUBBA
Jun 25, 2009, 03:01 PM
This should be simple. Take your os 9 disks and install only the update found on the final disk.

Then install any osx up to tiger. It should work. I've upgraded my imac g3 the same way.

TheSandman2236
Jun 26, 2009, 03:43 PM
My whole problem is moot - found out my disks were actually CD-R's :D Thanks for the reply's guys :apple:

zmttoxics
Jun 30, 2009, 11:59 AM
I think if you install OSX before the firmware update you forfeit all chances of doing it. I can't be sure but I remember reading that.