PDA

View Full Version : Should I get apple care with my new ibook?

NusuniAdmin
May 24, 2004, 12:14 PM
School is out finally, and i just have a few finals. Getting that new ibook soon :). But Just one last question about getting one, should I get apple care? Actually, How long is the regular warrenty on one and can u get apple care when that one ends?

sethwerkheiser
May 24, 2004, 12:20 PM
Yes. Get it. I think you get 1 year parts/90 day phone support with the purchase, but AppleCare extends that to 3 years parts/3 years phone... I recommend getting it, just in case. If a harddrive should fail or something you wouldnt want to spend that out of pocket.

JFreak
May 24, 2004, 12:23 PM
get it, absolutely. it'll pay off when the laptop begins to age.

NusuniAdmin
May 24, 2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks.

Actualy I probly wont have the 'book for a while. When i goto college in a few years Ill probly get a powerbook g5 :). THen again that'll be in 3 years, and the applecare would be nice if sometin did go wrong.

jxyama
May 24, 2004, 12:32 PM
standard info:

1) it's not an insurance. it's a warranty.

2) you have a year to purchase and register. no matter when you register, your coverage is until 3 years from the original purchase date of the computer.

3) for laptops, it makes a little more sense as many parts are integrated in laptops and one failed component may require replacement of many others.

i personally didn't get one for my PB - as it was quite expensive. for iBooks, it may make more sense.

grapes911
May 24, 2004, 01:09 PM
Its definately worth it. But don't buy it right away. Wait till you have the money and pay off some of the ibook. And i think you can buy it with the edu discount.

tjwett
May 24, 2004, 01:13 PM
i have been preaching AGAINST AppleCare for years and now that my one year warranty on my 12" PowerBook has run out i am nervous as hell. i'm really wishing i had just done it. i actually intended to but i spaced out and missed the deadline. now i'm getting kernel panics and it's freaking me out. just do it, anytime within the first year.

NusuniAdmin
May 24, 2004, 01:13 PM
The ibook i want:

512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)
40GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
Extra Battery - iBook 14-inch
14.1-inch TFT XGA display
1GHz PowerPC G4
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $1,528.00

The emac i want:
1GB SDRAM DDR333 - 2 DIMMs
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
1.25GHz PowerPC G4
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Subtotal $1,074.00

Hmmmm :eek: maybe ill just get the emac, i aint too worried about portability. Plus the emac has maxed ram and junk. THen again, could just wait till wwdc and pick up a rev a single 1.6 for cheap

jxyama
May 24, 2004, 01:44 PM
i have been preaching AGAINST AppleCare for years and now that my one year warranty on my 12" PowerBook has run out i am nervous as hell. i'm really wishing i had just done it. i actually intended to but i spaced out and missed the deadline. now i'm getting kernel panics and it's freaking me out. just do it, anytime within the first year.

kernel panics are not due to hardware defects. it could be a bad RAM (doubtful unless you recently installed it) or bad accessories. in any case, it can be solved and addressed - it's not because there's something wrong with your PB.

i didn't get one because at $300+, PB AppleCare is too much. if my PB croaks, i'll save up and buy a new one rather than getting an AppleCare. that $300+ goes quite far in getting a new PB...

wide
May 24, 2004, 01:54 PM
School is out finally, and i just have a few finals. Getting that new ibook soon :). But Just one last question about getting one, should I get apple care? Actually, How long is the regular warrenty on one and can u get apple care when that one ends?

If I were you, I would forget about the iBook and go for a PowerBook 12- or 15-inch. I would get the AppleCare, but I would wait until the computer is almost one year old (when the included warranty runs out) and then buy the AppleCare then--maybe you will be able to afford a better computer if you put the AppleCare on hold. Since you are a student, don't forget to get an Educational Discount (available online)--you will be able to save $200 at least.

Also, why are you buying the computer now? If school is out, there's no point in buying your computer now (shouldn't you be spending your summer recreationally?)--I expect there to be upgrades and perhaps price cuts during the summer. I would wait until half a month before school starts to order my computer, because I wouldn't risk getting a computer in the beginning of the summer (it might become obsolete only a month or two after your buy it :(). But that may just be me.

-wide

wide
May 24, 2004, 01:58 PM
it's not an insurance. it's a warranty.

Yeah, but you can always lie and say your computer "broke" itself--Apple usually will take your word for it to avoid a law suit, and if that doesn't work you can just threaten to sue).

For my Dell, I can break a key off my keyboard when I want a new one, then call Dell Support and they'll send a guy over to install a new keyboard. Works like a charm.

JFreak
May 24, 2004, 02:10 PM
For my Dell, I can break a key off my keyboard when I want a new one, then call Dell Support and they'll send a guy over to install a new keyboard. Works like a charm.

don't try this on a powerbook. my friend with a revA 12" albook had acidentally (yes, really) the "fn" key drop off, and even on an applecare protection, no luck. and a new keyboard costs a lot. fortunately for my friend it was only cosmetical damage and the key still works without the key "hat" on it. ugly as hell, but works like a charm.

jxyama
May 24, 2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but you can always lie and say your computer "broke" itself--Apple usually will take your word for it to avoid a law suit, and if that doesn't work you can just threaten to sue).

do you have experiences to back up your claim? apple will probably know when things break by themselves as opposed to something being broken. threat to sue won't be sufficient - it may get you to talk to someone higher up in the chain, but it won't guarantee that you'll get your way - nor do i feel right about being a cheat/liar.

for example, if you dent your laptop case, apple will not fix it for you. case will not dent itself. that's absurd and such a story will not stand.

it's a warranty. if you want insurance, look elsewhere.

DavidLeblond
May 24, 2004, 02:22 PM
don't try this on a powerbook. my friend with a revA 12" albook had acidentally (yes, really) the "fn" key drop off, and even on an applecare protection, no luck. and a new keyboard costs a lot. fortunately for my friend it was only cosmetical damage and the key still works without the key "hat" on it. ugly as hell, but works like a charm.

I would love to hear that conversation with Applecare. "What seems to be the problem, sir?" "My FN key broke off." "No need to be profane, sir. Now, which key was it that broke off?"

Ah, it was probably funnier in my head.

NusuniAdmin
May 24, 2004, 02:51 PM
Also, why are you buying the computer now? If school is out, there's no point in buying your computer now (shouldn't you be spending your summer recreationally?)--I expect there to be upgrades and perhaps price cuts during the summer. I would wait until half a month before school starts to order my computer, because I wouldn't risk getting a computer in the beginning of the summer (it might become obsolete only a month or two after your buy it :(). But that may just be me.

-wide

My dad is buying it. Hes getting it cause i got straight A's :D (of course in english i got a B...as you can tell by my terrible spelling).

Wyrm
May 25, 2004, 07:30 AM
...has run out i am nervous as hell...
I know the feeling... I didn' t get Applecare for my previous pb... it only broke twice in 3 years... one time was covered by warranty and the other time I paid a little more than Applecare... so unless you live a charmed life, I highly recommend it.

My Hammerhead has Applecare... and it's worth the knowledge that it is covered.

-Wyrm

superbovine
May 25, 2004, 05:49 PM
standard info:

1) it's not an insurance. it's a warranty.

2) you have a year to purchase and register. no matter when you register, your coverage is until 3 years from the original purchase date of the computer.

3) for laptops, it makes a little more sense as many parts are integrated in laptops and one failed component may require replacement of many others.

i personally didn't get one for my PB - as it was quite expensive. for iBooks, it may make more sense.

weather think of it of a warranty or insurance the gamble is still the same. the question become weather or not the money you spend is worth the service. most retailers that sell plans like this and think of it as insurance, because they bet more people will buy the plan than things will break. statistically speaking you are you are unlikely to use your applecare, but then again risk is if you are in the minority that needs the applecare then it was worth the money. however, with the ibooks there was a big problem with the lcd and the warranty came in handy. depends how much risk you are willing to take. for example, i am comfortable fixing a lot of things with my computers so it really isn't worth it for me.

Grimace
May 25, 2004, 09:16 PM
Buy the ibook. You get 1 year of parts/labor.

After 360 days, buy the AppleCare EXTENSION (that's all it really is.) Then, you can save up money for a year and still be protected. All you miss out on is phone support from days 91-360 - that's what Macrumors is for!! :p

I bought my powerbook, waited 363 days, bought applecare, and it worked out great!

diamond geezer
May 25, 2004, 11:02 PM
kernel panics are not due to hardware defects. it could be a bad RAM (doubtful unless you recently installed it) or bad accessories. in any case, it can be solved and addressed - it's not because there's something wrong with your PB.

i didn't get one because at $300+, PB AppleCare is too much. if my PB croaks, i'll save up and buy a new one rather than getting an AppleCare. that $300+ goes quite far in getting a new PB...

The 12" PowerBook has RAM soldiered onto the logicboard and could be causing kernal panics.

All portable owners should get a Protection Plan.

Savage Henry
May 26, 2004, 02:40 AM
All portable owners should get a Protection Plan.

That's true.

But I never did. I've had my iBook 2 years, travelled round the country and the world with little more than flimsy rucksack for protection, and it seems to have survived with small finger smudges on the screen to upset me.

Of course, next time I'll get Applecare, because I sure wouldn't do all of the above again without it.

brap
May 26, 2004, 03:01 AM
don't try this on a powerbook. my friend with a revA 12" albook had acidentally (yes, really) the "fn" key drop off, and even on an applecare protection, no luck ...

This is why I've never bought AppleCare. In the UK it costs... way too much, and really gives you very little cover for your money. Better off getting generic new-for-old laptop insurance from an insurance company, and having something to fall back on should you be retarded enough to drop it.

JFreak
May 26, 2004, 03:28 AM
This is why I've never bought AppleCare. In the UK it costs... way too much, and really gives you very little cover for your money. Better off getting generic new-for-old laptop insurance from an insurance company, and having something to fall back on should you be retarded enough to drop it.

that's how i did it with my tibook - no applecare - and after 18 months of heavy use the unevitable finally happened: the screen was destroyed. well, i called the insurance company and they gave me 2000 euros because i was able to show that it costs that much to repair the thing in an apple specialized service center. i also got to keep the laptop, so i now have "a headless mac" sitting on a shelf.

if i could one day find a replacement display cheap enough, i would get it repaired. but for 2000 euros? no thank you. i could pay 350ish euros to get a used but working screen.

(this new albook also has applecare - i somehow managed to buy it for 300 euros instead of the 450 that it retails.)

caveman_uk
May 26, 2004, 04:55 AM
Or, if you only want a standard spec machine, buy it from John Lewis as their included warranty is two years as standard. You only have to worry about the last year then ;)

abc123
May 26, 2004, 05:52 AM
the one thing that apple australia does better, free extended warranty for edu purchases :)
i probably wouldn't take out applecare because i don't like the idea of having to pay for a warranty that many companies offer for nothing. as it turned out it wasn't an issue for me after all.

NusuniAdmin
May 26, 2004, 06:19 AM
I have definitly decideed not to get an ibook. Me and my dad both thought it would be dumb to get a laptop cause im on the computer literaly 7-10 hours per day working on my homework, programs, and website. Laptops errr notebooks are built for mild use, not for extreme use. So i have decided to get an emac, actually i think my dad IS willing to pay for a g5, which would be awsome but pointless....i'd never use that power and it'd be a waste of money really. (plus there's no way I could go very long without VPC, stupid slow microsoft with stupid overdue vpc 7). Hehe with x86 prices i could get an emac and build a cheap windows box :D

JFreak
May 26, 2004, 06:39 AM
notebooks are built for mild use, not for extreme use.

not true, laptops are used in extreme conditions regularily. but you're right, they break easier than desktops.

have you thought about getting an imac? there are widescreen display options available. far better than the emac...

NusuniAdmin
May 26, 2004, 04:31 PM
not true, laptops are used in extreme conditions regularily. but you're right, they break easier than desktops.

have you thought about getting an imac? there are widescreen display options available. far better than the emac...

Imacs are peices of crap, they are way overdue for an update and i refuse to wait 6 months after they (imac g5) are announced to finally recieve one. I am still looking at ibook, god i wish my dad would pay 1900 for a pbook 15". Oh well. I have used the 1.25 ghz imac and I personally thought the speed was being lied about, to be honest i think my dad's emac 1 ghz runs much faster than 1.25 ghz imac (and note, i used the imac for hours at a friends house, not at a computer store, and he just got it a month before i used it). At least imacs used nvidia, i hate ati last time i called them they yelled at me and stuff so i spoke with the tech manager and even he was an @$$. Imac superdrives are kinda loud too...louder than any other apple.

johnnyjibbs
May 26, 2004, 06:04 PM
I would generally say don't bother with Applecare, portable or not. It's a rip-off. For it to be worthwhile, something has to break of its own accord in either year 2 or 3 that is more than $300 to fix.

You're far more likely to drop it or have it stolen. Applecare won't cover you for either of these, however hard you try.

Ok, so you may be unlucky and have to replace the screen or something, but there are reuptable companies that can do that for not terribly much more than Applecare. However, the chances are NOTHING will go wrong in years 2 or 3 and so you will have paid the money. Sure, not getting it is a gamble, but one with very good odds. Even Apple's statistics show that too.