PDA

View Full Version : Turn-by-Turn GPS Apps Begin to Appear: Gokivo, Sygic, Navigon

MacRumors
Jun 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/22/turn-by-turn-gps-apps-begin-to-appear-gokivo-sygic-navigon/)

With the launch of iPhone OS 3.0 last week, many users have been looking forward to the release of turn-by-turn GPS navigation apps. While TomTom for iPhone garnered the most publicity (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/09/tomtom-and-navigon-bringing-turn-by-turn-gps-car-navigation-to-iphone/) due to its demo as part of the keynote presentation at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, several other companies have been developing similar apps and rushing to bring them to the App Store.

Last week, Gokivo + Yahoo! Local Search [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319730503&mt=8), $0.99 plus $9.99/month subscription] appeared in the App Store, offering turn-by-turn GPS navigation in the United States based on Yahoo! Maps. Gokivo initially received a tremendous amount of criticism, as its App Store description gave no indication that an additional $9.99/month subscription was required in order to access turn-by-turn guidance. The App Store description has since been updated to clearly reflect which features are accessible with the $0.99 base version and which require the monthly subscription. Gokivo has received mixed reviews at best (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/17023/) so far, with the nearly $120/year subscription price tag also remaining a significant stumbling block for many users.

Sygic last week also released two GPS applications for Australia/New Zealand and Southeast Asia. MobileMaps Australia & New Zealand [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319361043&mt=8), US$64.99] utilizes data from Telstra's Whereis service to offer thorough turn-by-turn GPS functionality throughout Australia and New Zealand, while MobileMaps Asia - South-East [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319359565&mt=8), US$79.99] uses data from Tele Atlas to offer navigation in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand.

The most recent major entrant to the turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app scene is Navigon, whose MobileNavigator Europe [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320279293&mt=8), US$94.99 through the end of June] application offers navigation in 40 European countries (http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/press/archive/2009/505). While the current full European version is priced at 74.99, the price will increase to 99.99 as of July. Navigon will also soon be offering apps covering smaller European regions for the introductory price of 49.99, increasing to 69.99 as of July. Navigon is also planning to release a free "lite" version that will provide maps and point-of-interest listing, but no active navigation. Finally, Navigon promises that it is continuing to work on similar apps for other regions, including North America and Australia, and has released a brief video demonstrating MobileNavigator Europe in action.

Article Link: Turn-by-Turn GPS Apps Begin to Appear: Gokivo, Sygic, Navigon (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/22/turn-by-turn-gps-apps-begin-to-appear-gokivo-sygic-navigon/)

Kyle23
Jun 22, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm gonna have to wait for Tom Tom, seems much more stable and a better all around system. Still don't under stand the big hoopla around turn by turn tho, the map app already on the iPhone works amazing for me and if I take a wrong turn I can just re-calibrate the directions by hitting current location.

4np
Jun 22, 2009, 01:04 PM
While the above solutions (a small iPhone app which uses online maps through your 3G data connection) sounds nice, it really isn't. I have been traveling through Australia, New Zealand and the USA the past year and there are huge areas without cellular reception traveling through Australia, let alone data connections. Same goes for New Zealand. Also, I traveled from West Coast to East Coast in the USA and there were several states where I couldn't get an AT&T cellular connection with my San Francisco bought AT&T pre-paid card which I had bought with the assumption AT&T had coverage in every state. Bad assumption... So if you rely on online maps you're pretty much out of luck when navigating through less densely populated areas (or areas with less or no cellular reception)... I was very very happy with my TomTom ONE XL in Australia, New Zealand and the USA...

I would expect TomTom to release an iPhone application either including a local map and doing in-app purchases of additional maps which you then download over the air and store on your phone. Then you can always use navigation on the road, no matter how remote you are....

That's indeed what they suggest on their site (http://iphone.tomtom.com/):

the TomTom app including the latest maps
(coming soon to the iTunes App Store)

I would guess the TomTom App will be sold with a country / state map as regional maps (US, Europe, etc) tend to get quite large (over / around 1 GB) and I'm pretty sure telco's will not be happy if people download those large maps over the air ;) Probably you'll just buy TomTom with a country map, and do in-app purchases of a next map (country / state) you would like to visit.

sananda
Jun 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
Still don't under stand the big hoopla around turn by turn tho, the map app already on the iPhone works amazing for me and if I take a wrong turn I can just re-calibrate the directions by hitting current location.

Presumably you're not driving then.

Pugpuppydude
Jun 22, 2009, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna have to wait for Tom Tom, seems much more stable and a better all around system. Still don't under stand the big hoopla around turn by turn tho, the map app already on the iPhone works amazing for me and if I take a wrong turn I can just re-calibrate the directions by hitting current location.

Multi-tasking saves money :)

Santa Rosa
Jun 22, 2009, 01:15 PM
The Navigon one looks tempting but think I will hold out and see what like the Tom Tom app will be like and the price!!

Its a shame that it doesn't look at all likely that Garmin will be making an app, with their GPS navigation phone coming out some time maybe this year, maybe next. They seem to be having difficulties with it.

NightStorm
Jun 22, 2009, 01:16 PM
While I had really hoped to see either TomTom or Navigon release their standalone product for the U.S. before the start of my vacation trip (July 3rd), I have a feeling it'll be closer to the end of July/early August. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Price-wise, I've always expected the navigation apps to cost around $100. It's still cheaper than most standalone units and I don't have to worry about carrying/hiding another device. Further, its a lot cheaper than the built-in solutions, and more convenient.

mgamber
Jun 22, 2009, 01:24 PM

The map app is fine when you have nothing else to do but stare at the screen. Country roads, highways, that kind of thing, where you barely need a map at all. Get into any kind of real traffic or even close to city driving, however, and it's worthless. Get on a motorcycle and it's totally worthless at all times. I've never used it and now that there are finally some real apps showing up, I'm sure I never will use it. I'm totally psyched for a real TBT app!

SleepyHead157
Jun 22, 2009, 01:29 PM
With all the built in GPS features in phones nowadays, who needs TomTom? They should come out with an iphone app which would make their popularity grow in the gadget community and in turn would make them more money.

4np
Jun 22, 2009, 01:31 PM
While I had really hoped to see either TomTom or Navigon release their standalone product for the U.S. before the start of my vacation trip (July 3rd), I have a feeling it'll be closer to the end of July/early August. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Price-wise, I've always expected the navigation apps to cost around $100. It's still cheaper than most standalone units and I don't have to worry about carrying/hiding another device. Further, its a lot cheaper than the built-in solutions, and more convenient.

Looks like you're in luck (http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/06/22/navigon-first-gps-car-navigation-systems-available-on-iphone) if you're coming to Europe for your hollidays:

Available from the AppStore, Navigon will cost you 74.99 €, including all Europe maps, for worth 1.65 GB of data!

Still a lot of data, as TomTom's Western & Central Europe map (http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=23&M=184) (for the ONE XL) is 1233.9 MB :)

4np
Jun 22, 2009, 01:39 PM
With all the built in GPS features in phones nowadays, who needs TomTom? They should come out with an iphone app which would make their popularity grow in the gadget community and in turn would make them more money.

ehm... that's what they are doing? Releasing a TomTom iPhone app (http://iphone.tomtom.com/) and dock?

http://iphone.tomtom.com/images/tomtom-iphone-app.gif

yOyOYoo
Jun 22, 2009, 01:51 PM
A turn by turn program really should have it's own dock and speaker... the stock iPhone speakerphone is TERRIBLE!!!

iOrlando
Jun 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
way too much money per month for these things.

Yes, if you are a salesman or on the road every day...definitely..
but for an average college-aged or 20 something....paying a monthly rate is lousy.

i would buy it if it was a flat 50-60 bucks...but not 120 a year with a indefinite timeline.

TheOrioles33
Jun 22, 2009, 02:03 PM
ehm... that's what they are doing? Releasing a TomTom iPhone app (http://iphone.tomtom.com/) and dock?

http://iphone.tomtom.com/images/tomtom-iphone-app.gif

Cant wait for TomTom. I pray its not subscription based. Thats lame!

notjustjay
Jun 22, 2009, 02:04 PM

but for an average college-aged or 20 something....paying a monthly rate is lousy.

i would buy it if it was a flat 50-60 bucks...but not 120 a year with a indefinite timeline.

Only one of the products listed above has a subscription fee.

johnntd
Jun 22, 2009, 02:08 PM
Why do you think TomTom is a better apps? I have tried TomTom before and it sucked big time here in California. It has the oldest map database out there. It would tell you to enter and exist a freeway by numbers which we don't have here in California, Northern California that is. You will be sorry if you buy TomTom I think.

TimothyB
Jun 22, 2009, 02:15 PM
I hope they consider new pricing with the iPhone. As already proven with the regular apps, prices have been lower than any phone in the past, yet more profit than ever before.

If TomTom goes with a standard $99+, or another software keeps that monthly $10, they may be shooting themselves in the foot. This isn't a regular phone with a small market like some random phone model, this is a whole new ballgame and they better price things right or they'll lost an opportunity to rake in the cash.

I already have a GPS unit, and I might use once a month, maybe every two months. So $10 a month is way too much for a plan. It's a great price for those that really need such a service, but why price it for the few that need when they have have millions of iPhone users that would have it for the convenience if they lowered it considerably. And $99 for TomTom, well, I like that the real GPS unit I have is not tied to any device, it stands alone. So paying that much on any phone is a lot. And they're window suction dock, great, but illegal in CA. I'd have to imagine if they say they went with $99, that if they chose to go with $50 they'd get double, or even more users, and that means more than would buy the hardware too. And can you return such an expensive APP like TomTom if it doesn't work well in your area, or has bad maps? Too much to take a chance.

optophobia
Jun 22, 2009, 02:30 PM
.........expensive APP like TomTom if it doesn't work well in your area, or has bad maps? Too much to take a chance.

A limited time trial version / ad supported, or something would be a good idea to get people to try before they buy.

I will def buy the Tom Tom app if it is reasonably priced. I wouldn't mind 1st 3 states / regions for $50 + $10 each additonal state etc.

dopeytree
Jun 22, 2009, 02:31 PM
All I can say is the Tom Tom for iPhone app had better not be subscription based and better not cost anymore than 40 as you can buy a tom tom gps device itself for 80 which comes with software already. I know the iPhone is a new device I just hope they do it right :) and release some more details soon or even a pre-order thing!

reckless2k2
Jun 22, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm all ready to snatch up the TomTom app as soon as it's available IF it doesn't have a monthly service fee. That will be a HUGE scam if they charge a monthly fee. I'll be buying the hardware along with it so I'm hoping they consider all that.

Additional monthly service is bad.

co.ag.2005
Jun 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
waiting on Garmin... In my experience and IMO, Garmin > Tom Tom in the US... if Garmin doesn't develop an app, then I may have to settle with Tom Tom

NightStorm
Jun 22, 2009, 03:00 PM
waiting on Garmin... In my experience and IMO, Garmin > Tom Tom in the US... if Garmin doesn't develop an app, then I may have to settle with Tom Tom
Garmin has already stated they are not working on an app for the iPhone.

ipoppy
Jun 22, 2009, 03:00 PM

I am waiting for TomTom as well. I believe they will release their app any day now. The reason why its because people like you and me who are going for summer trips etc, who need navigation in their iPhones now. Plus competition are already is here so stay patient for next few days and you will get your TomTom.
Or their minute will gone:eek:

bretm
Jun 22, 2009, 03:01 PM
I have one thing to say to all these subscription and high priced apps for turn by turn. "Good luck with that!"

Buy a standalone or wait until these fools realize they need to change their business model. They can't just remove the hardware from the equation and think they can garner a $100 price tag. $10-20 and they'd sell millions. Just like all the other apps on the store. The first one to bite the bullet will sell so many it's ridiculous and the others will follow suit.

Don't be an early adopter of this.

coasterswim
Jun 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
Refurb'd TomTom device on newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858194072): $50. Under NO circumstances should the software alone be any more than that (or even anywhere close to it).

Hawkeye411
Jun 22, 2009, 03:27 PM
If Tom Tom charges a monthly fee they can shove it!! I'll stick with the free Map app thank you very much.

However, if there is no monthly fee, i'd be willing to pay around $60 given the fact that we are purchasing the maps and software only (i.e. no hardware). I believe that you can purchase a complete GPS unit including the system itself for under $200 so the software alone should be under $100.

Cheers.

alhedges
Jun 22, 2009, 03:45 PM
A limited time trial version / ad supported, or something would be a good idea to get people to try before they buy.

I will def buy the Tom Tom app if it is reasonably priced. I wouldn't mind 1st 3 states / regions for $50 + $10 each additonal state etc.

This is a *horrible* price. You can buy a Garmin nuvi 250 for a flat $100 at Amazon right now. It includes all of the US, plus Canada and Puerto Rico. Along with a mounting system, car charger, and speaker that is much louder than the iPhone's built in speaker.

This is a much better deal than anything we are likely to see from Tom Tom. I leave my nuvi in my car all the time so it's already there...plus, if I used my iPhone as a GPS while driving, how would I play my music?

co.ag.2005
Jun 22, 2009, 03:57 PM
Garmin has already stated they are not working on an app for the iPhone.

link?

nagromme
Jun 22, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'd much rather pay $100 once than $10 a month, that's for sure! (I know updates could cost me later, but I don't feel the need to update my map data constantly.)

Navigon looks great! I may not be able to wait for it though.

(And I hope 3.1 fixes the broken GPS in my 3G! It gained about a 30 second delay in upgrading the OS--no good for driving. The animated scrolling map is gone, and now it just shows a static map which jumps 2 blocks once or twice a minute.)

hoits2000
Jun 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
No way ANY turn by turn app is worth more than 29.99. Whoever pays more than that is retarded. You can easily get a new Garmin for around 50 bucks. Wow.

boca76
Jun 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
I checked the European countries top paid apps and Navigon in many of them has taken the No. 1 spot . In nearly all of them Navigon is in the top 10. It's amazing if you think that the price is $94.99.
I think that Tomtom has lost a lot of money for not being the first.
I initially intended to buy the Tomtom app but I just couldn't resist so I got Navigon.

nagromme
Jun 22, 2009, 04:59 PM
No way ANY turn by turn app is worth more than 29.99. Whoever pays more than that is retarded. You can easily get a new Garmin for around 50 bucks. Wow.

I'd much rather pay $50 than $100 :) Or $5 would be nice.

It depends on what features you get, including future updates. I surely wouldn't expect to pay MORE for an iPhone app than the same exact product costs by itself.

btcutter
Jun 22, 2009, 05:00 PM
Question:

1. If the phone is on in Europe and you use any of these map applications...Tom Tom, Navigon...etc, will you get billed for roaming data fee??? Anyway to avoid the data fee.

That's a BIG question. If there is roaming then it's not a viable traveling (in another country) navigation guide due to cost. One would be better off buying a stand alone unit for $150.

iGary
Jun 22, 2009, 05:01 PM

I'd much rather have one device than two, thanks, and I'm willing to pay for the convenience.

samab
Jun 22, 2009, 05:07 PM

Realistically, normal people only needs it for a few long weekends, march break and the summer vacation holidays --- this is where the $10 a month and $3 a day subscription fees are targetted.

nagromme
Jun 22, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'd much rather have one device than two, thanks, and I'm willing to pay for the convenience.

Also, if you have two, you tend to leave the GPS in the car to be stolen. Nobody's stealing my GPS if it's in my phone in my pocket :)

My iPhone is already nicely dash-mounted, and Maps does 90% of what I need. The other 10% will be nice to have.

ipoppy
Jun 22, 2009, 05:19 PM

Thats what I was going to say. You pay for this convenience and usually iphone users are more wealthy on average than rest mobile community so expect to pay more than $50. And no...I am not retarded.

ipoppy
Jun 22, 2009, 05:26 PM
Question:

1. If the phone is on in Europe and you use any of these map applications...Tom Tom, Navigon...etc, will you get billed for roaming data fee??? Anyway to avoid the data fee.

That's a BIG question. If there is roaming then it's not a viable traveling (in another country) navigation guide due to cost. One would be better off buying a stand alone unit for $150.

You just made me wonder the same:D. But I don't think you need use data for this; thats simply working based on GPS module inside iPhone. The same way like stand alone units; they are not using any data transfers unless I am wrong. Plus that would be a BIG issue and they would have to state it in their description that you will be facing additional costs for roaming. However they they don't.

marv08
Jun 22, 2009, 05:27 PM
Question:

I bought the Navigon app for Europe last Saturday and the complete maps are included and downloaded to the iPhone (almost 1.7 GB). I turned everything else off (mail fetch/push etc.) and driving 380 miles through Germany data traffic was exactly zero. The software only needs GPS data and this is of course free.

theBB
Jun 22, 2009, 05:54 PM
Also, if you have two, you tend to leave the GPS in the car to be stolen. Nobody's stealing my GPS if it's in my phone in my pocket :)

My iPhone is already nicely dash-mounted, and Maps does 90% of what I need. The other 10% will be nice to have.
I hope you are also removing the dash mount. Otherwise, the thief might believe that you have still a GPS in your car and break your window. The damage to the car is usually bigger than the cost of GPS.

theBB
Jun 22, 2009, 05:58 PM
$10-20 and they'd sell millions. Just like all the other apps on the store. The first one to bite the bullet will sell so many it's ridiculous and the others will follow suit.

Don't be an early adopter of this.

I don't get the pricing, either. At $100 you can get a stand alone GPS device. I understand the one device instead of two aspect, but at the same time two devices gives you more flexibility, such as speaking on the phone while using GPS, so the convenience factor is a bit of a wash. I assume the apps are written well enough to allow you listen to music. If not, forget about it.

$100 pays for hardware manufacturing, R&D for hardware, transportation, the cut for retailers and distributors, which is usually far more than 30% that Apple asks and big companies probably cut a better deal with Apple. If they are doing this so that their hardware unit sales do not go down, then software only GPS companies, such as X-road, will eat them for lunch. Besides, Google Maps covers many use scenarios when you have a passenger with you, so it is an incremental improvement anyways.

ayzee
Jun 22, 2009, 06:19 PM
Well TomTom currently sell their windows smartphone software for 90GBP on an SD card.
http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=2

Hopefully it wont be this much as it will only be for the software, im guessing about 60GBP

Also it could be a good thing that TomTom are a little late to the app store. They may feel they have to reduce price to become competitive.

nagromme
Jun 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
I hope you are also removing the dash mount. Otherwise, the thief might believe that you have still a GPS in your car and break your window. The damage to the car is usually bigger than the cost of GPS.

Nah. You can't control everything--you can just improve your odds. Anything that makes me waste time every time I enter/exit my car is too paranoid for me. But at least the mount doesn't look like a conventional GPS mount--it's a Naja King. Positioned vertically it looks like a phone holster (which it is).

And my car is insured. Please--total it for me! :)

btcutter
Jun 22, 2009, 07:00 PM
I bought the Navigon app for Europe last Saturday and the complete maps are included and downloaded to the iPhone (almost 1.7 GB). I turned everything else off (mail fetch/push etc.) and driving 380 miles through Germany data traffic was exactly zero. The software only needs GPS data and this is of course free.

How to you leave on the GPS while turning everything off (airplane mode)?

Isn't one of the weaknesses of iPhone is that GPS signal is weak compare to stand alone units.

One more question for everyone............what happens when you get a phone call???? Can you talk and still navigate or you must hang up to see the screen?

nagromme
Jun 22, 2009, 07:45 PM

Isn't one of the weaknesses of iPhone is that GPS signal is weak compare to stand alone units.

GPS (with built-in maps, unlike Google's maps) doesn't need Internet, so you can turn all that stuff off in Settings. I don't--I use a car charger anyway.

I'm sure the tiny iPhone has a tiny antenna, but it has always worked great for me. I have it mounted to the right of the steering wheel, over the center air vents. Not up high by the glass, even, but it works great. That may vary from car to car.

One more question for everyone............what happens when you get a phone call???? Can you talk and still navigate or you must hang up to see the screen?

When the iPhone gets a phone call, you can still switch to any other app and keep on talking. The phone interface WILL pop up when the call comes in, but you don't have to stay there.

marv08
Jun 22, 2009, 08:39 PM

Well, my phone is jailbroken, so I can turn WiFi, phone, EDGE, 3G, BT, Location services on/off individually using the SBSettings application. If you activate airplane mode, GPS will shut down too. But if you turn off data roaming, A-GPS will not be able to use cell tower / WiFi triangulation data, as it can't lookup coordinates in the respective databases, but GPS will still work. Subsequently there are no charges, just the initial position detection will take a bit longer than with cell/WiFi triangulation. Once the initial position has been logged, it works absolutely fine and without significant delays.

I do not find the iPhone GPS to be weak. I have a Garmin GPS60 for outdoor use and the iPhone performs equally well. Certain combinations of car, front window treatments and angle etc. might work better than others (I have an oldtimer and there is no treatment on the front window at all, I think it is not even safety glass). Before spending big money, maybe test using your iPhone in your car with e.g. the Google Maps application and see how it performs. As I said, I had no problems whatsoever...

When a phone call comes in, the Navigon software will hide and display the phone interface, but the spoken instructions continue. Once the call is finished the navigation interface comes back up automatically. No idea how the other applications do it.

Excellerator
Jun 22, 2009, 08:50 PM
I purchased the Gokivo GPS for 99 cents just to try it out, and purchased one month for $9.99. Does anyone know if this is a subscription based GPS where it automatically charges you each month or do you have to manually add the month to it? I hope its the latter. I don't want to keep this thing, I only wanted to play. I will definately not get rid of my Navigon GPS.

SpaceKitty
Jun 22, 2009, 09:00 PM
I purchased the Gokivo GPS for 99 cents just to try it out, and purchased one month for $9.99. Does anyone know if this is a subscription based GPS where it automatically charges you each month or do you have to manually add the month to it? I hope its the latter. I don't want to keep this thing, I only wanted to play. I will definately not get rid of my Navigon GPS.

Since it's subscription based, it likely verifies the sub is valid over the air each time it starts up. My Garmin Navigator on my Blackberry is like that even though I paid the $99 for the lifetime, it still verifies that it is installed on the correct phone on each startup. If the app can't check because I have the sim removed, Garmin Navigator won't startup.

supmango
Jun 22, 2009, 09:36 PM

I will wait as well. Hopefully it will work well with the 3G iPhone. I am not paying 90 bucks for it though, that is freaking ridiculous. For that price I would just go out and buy a separate GPS. Only about 60 bucks more and I can get a stand alone unit.

Excellerator
Jun 22, 2009, 09:39 PM
Since it's subscription based, it likely verifies the sub is valid over the air each time it starts up. My Garmin Navigator on my Blackberry is like that even though I paid the $99 for the lifetime, it still verifies that it is installed on the correct phone on each startup. If the app can't check because I have the sim removed, Garmin Navigator won't startup.

I just got an email back from Networks In Motion that read:

You will be able to purchase turn-by-turn navigation one month at a time
via in-app purchase. It will only be prompted when you select the 'Go'
button. You can use the turn-by-turn when needed. The maps and Yahoo
Local search are included in the 99 cent version of the application and
will not prompt you for additional purchases until you request a
navigation session.

Just thought I would post this for anyone else interested.

btcutter
Jun 22, 2009, 10:08 PM
GPS (with built-in maps, unlike Google's maps) doesn't need Internet, so you can turn all that stuff off in Settings. I don't--I use a car charger anyway.

I'm sure the tiny iPhone has a tiny antenna, but it has always worked great for me. I have it mounted to the right of the steering wheel, over the center air vents. Not up high by the glass, even, but it works great. That may vary from car to car.

When the iPhone gets a phone call, you can still switch to any other app and keep on talking. The phone interface WILL pop up when the call comes in, but you don't have to stay there.

thanks! that's very helpful to us all.

nostaws
Jun 22, 2009, 10:22 PM
I don't NEED turn by turn GPS on my iPhone. As a result, I wouldn't (won't) buy GPS software if it is in the $100 range.

However, if they priced it between $30 and $50 I wouldn't think twice and buy it. I really think they would sell a lot more if they priced it a little lower.

My 2 cents.

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 22, 2009, 10:23 PM
Rather than dealing with turn-by-turn in the phone itself, I'd like to see a nice interface to a standalone unit. If I'm the only one in the house with a 3G(S) then nobody else gets use of it when I'm not in the car (3 adults and 2 teenage divers). I'd like to be able to plan out a route on the phone, setting waypoints and all that, then transfer it via bluetooth to the standalone device. When the 3G(S) is not in play, the standalone works like a regular one.

This would also alleviate the problem of phone calls / music / gaming (for a passenger) / whatever while driving.

kugino
Jun 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
that sygic application looks promising...i'll be in australia and new zealand next month and am thinking about getting this app to help our navigation around the countries...would be much cheaper than renting those gps units from the car rental places...and much cheaper than buying new maps for my garmin...

dohspc
Jun 23, 2009, 03:09 AM
AT&T has just released their mobile navigator supported by telenav in the app store interface looks clean but there is that pesky 9.99/month fee on it sigh.

SpaceKitty
Jun 23, 2009, 03:33 AM
AT&T has just released their mobile navigator supported by telenav in the app store interface looks clean but there is that pesky 9.99/month fee on it sigh.

Installed and trying this out. The neat colorful map shown in the app store only shows up when you have a route active. If no route active then the map looks allot like the google one. Nice loud turn by turn instructions and it was easy to activate this using one registration on two of our iPhones.

Maps are not downloaded which will likely be a problem when cell service is not available. It also doesn't include lane assist.

The $9.99 price may be good for some who just want to have a GPS for a trip since it can be cancelled at any time aithout spending money on a GPS.

fixyourthinking
Jun 23, 2009, 08:36 AM

Wow ...

That's really high. I've been hoping the dock with North America is $79.99

I was hoping the app (covering a region as you suggest is $15 each or all 4 regions for $40. (North, South, Midwest, West)

Rather than dealing with turn-by-turn in the phone itself, I'd like to see a nice interface to a standalone unit. If I'm the only one in the house with a 3G(S) then nobody else gets use of it when I'm not in the car (3 adults and 2 teenage divers). I'd like to be able to plan out a route on the phone, setting waypoints and all that, then transfer it via bluetooth to the standalone device. When the 3G(S) is not in play, the standalone works like a regular one.

This would also alleviate the problem of phone calls / music / gaming (for a passenger) / whatever while driving.

Garmin's Nuvi interface is near perfection - have you tried it?

kingtj
Jun 23, 2009, 10:12 AM
I know with regular in-car GPS systems, Navigon impressed me the most. It's unfortunate they dropped out of the U.S. market about a month ago, though (citing too much competition on the low end, with Chinese units flooding the marketplace, etc.).

Navigon is the only one I know of who offers a subscription so you can download updated map data every quarter of the year, for 2 full years, for only $50 or so. They also are one of the few that offered lifetime unlimited use of "traffic" features for a one-time purchase of an unlock code.

They also have a really nice "reality view" mode, where it knows what thousands of highway intersections look like, so when you reach one that's in its database, it changes screens to show you exactly how to merge or exit, when needed. (Instead of a simple instruction to "keep right", for example, it can draw a 6 lane freeway and show arrows indicating the 2 lanes you should stay in for the turn, up ahead.)

Why do you think TomTom is a better apps? I have tried TomTom before and it sucked big time here in California. It has the oldest map database out there. It would tell you to enter and exist a freeway by numbers which we don't have here in California, Northern California that is. You will be sorry if you buy TomTom I think.

crkfc
Jun 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
Has anyone tried installing the Navigon software on more than one iPhone? Since it is not subscription based, it seems feasible no?

samab
Jun 23, 2009, 03:05 PM
They also are one of the few that offered lifetime unlimited use of "traffic" features for a one-time purchase of an unlock code.

Which means absolutely nothing because they are getting out of the US market.

Thex1138
Jun 24, 2009, 01:52 AM
There is no value in buying the GPS App then having to pay a subscription... madness..
A bi-annual update at most..
Maps should be stored locally and accessible when needed and install appropriately...
P.S. If you have a dedicated market of 40million users +1.3million more per month with GPS devices... why try to bump such a high price??

But I guess that's their chosen business model... :rolleyes:

NightStorm
Jun 24, 2009, 07:11 AM
Which means absolutely nothing because they are getting out of the US market.

Navigon has mentioned they will release a U.S. navigation app for their iPhone.

jhande
Jun 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
8gb 3g iPhone.

Installation:
Had to delete a load of video/audio to leave enough room for the install -- needs approx. 4gb free during install. Takes up around 1.7gb.

Location: Denmark at the moment. Navigon doesn't give you language choices, it defaults to the phone's settings, English in my case.

This is a very intuitive app, easy to use, both in portrait and landscape mode. Excellent integration with contacts, good list of POIs. The top bar shows ETA, but cycles through other data as well (speed etc).

The maps are excellent (and precise (Navteq)), and the interface has a very nice feel.

No traffic alerts (bummer), but the real signs on the freeways, lane assist, and 'next direction' (where it shows you the next two actions) are fantastic. The speed warnings are nicer than TomTom's incessant 'ping'. Instead the nice Lady says 'Beware', once.

The nice Lady is my second biggest problem. Her enunciation is good, apart from the word 'Now', as in 'Now turn left'. That this is my second biggest gripe, gives you an idea how happy I am with this app. The volume through the speakers is surprisingly acceptable, although it would probably be too scratchy in a noisy car. You'd need earplugs for that.

The major problem is when the phone rings and you switch out of Navigon, talk, and wait to switch back.....and wait......and wait. This really is fun if you're in a big city you don't know, and the street corners are just whizzing by. I use a bluetooth headset, so it isn't too bad.

To be fair, this is probably a lot better on the 3GS, but if you receive a lot of calls when you're on the road, you might want to think about it. I don't, so even though it's my biggest gripe, it isn't too bad. I've timed it at 15 seconds, from end of call until Navigon is completely up. Objectively, it doesn't seem like much, but at 50 km/hr in a city it seems awfully long.

In operation the app is nice and fast, and really precise. I've tested it against some really obscure addresses in the Czech Republic and France, and it had all but one of them (a new property development - fair enough).

Finally, a small niggle, which will be solved -- ? I can't find a manual anywhere on Navigons site about the iPhone.

Verdict: Better than TomTom. No regrets. With a cheap suction cup windshield mount (better than I expected), and a Belkin dual USB cigarette charger, I'm really happy.

If you need it, buy it. :D

kas23
Jun 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
The major problem is when the phone rings and you switch out of Navigon, talk, and wait to switch back.....and wait......and wait. This really is fun if you're in a big city you don't know, and the street corners are just whizzing by. I use a bluetooth headset, so it isn't too bad.

To be fair, this is probably a lot better on the 3GS, but if you receive a lot of calls when you're on the road, you might want to think about it. I don't, so even though it's my biggest gripe, it isn't too bad. I've timed it at 15 seconds, from end of call until Navigon is completely up. Objectively, it doesn't seem like much, but at 50 km/hr in a city it seems awfully long.

Oh gosh, a 15 second delay? That's enough to miss a couple turns. I guess you may have to put it on airplane mode. Thanks for the review. It's these types of reviews that are going to help people make the best decision. 15 seconds?!?

jhande
Jun 26, 2009, 02:48 PM
Oh gosh, a 15 second delay? That's enough to miss a couple turns. I guess you may have to put it on airplane mode. Thanks for the review. It's these types of reviews that are going to help people make the best decision. 15 seconds?!?

Well, I've been using it today for approx. 250 km, city, highway, and village. I haven't had a chance to time it again, but it 'feels' faster -- or I'm getting more used to it :o.

I had to make a detour due to road works, and it came up with an alternate extremely quickly.

So, with the aforementioned 15 second caveat, it really performs.

BTW: Doing this on battery alone is a no go. It really drains it fast.

CarlyLyon
Jul 2, 2009, 09:57 PM
when is google maps going to do this?

co.ag.2005
Jul 2, 2009, 10:11 PM
G-Map U.S. West just released their iPhone 3.0 compatible update which now adds voice turn-by-turn. I have been using this app for voiceless TBT and it has been great. This update will make it even better. I honestly think this app is worth the money!

mortfe
Jul 3, 2009, 05:42 PM
Still old version. Landscape mode? Website doesn't show it. Read a couple of threads of G-Map West (updated) with voice not working. Think i'll wait for TomTom, if it ever gets here.

OneMike
Jul 3, 2009, 08:46 PM
The tom tom looks promising, but I'm sure if I'd buy. If reasonably priced maybe I'll ditch the portable tom tom I have now, but I see this being $150 or so which isn't happening for me.

mortfe
Jul 4, 2009, 06:53 AM
Rumored to be $60 for the TomTom, with no subscription. I'm sure the mount will be extra. Has antenna, speaker, audio out and possibly it's own GPS chip, from whaT I found.:)