Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
PDX
I have a iBook 933Mhz and don't really want to trade it in just to have the ability of adding extra RAM. Does anyone know of a softmod out there to allow me to add a 1GB chip of RAM to this version of iBook? I really don't see a difference between this model and the newer iBook other than the allowance of more RAM and higher speed. If anyone knows of a softmod please help a brother out! I don't want to spend hundreds needlessly.

Thanks.

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
The Ibook G3 has only one Ram slot right? So you'd need a single 1Gb SDRAM SODIMM.
Like this;

http://www.butterflymedia.com/webfiles/p_sodimm.asp

3.3v PC133 SDRAM 144pin SODIMM
1GB - 128X64-7.5ns (128x8 stacked)1 Bank, 133MHz

Now, whether or not the Ibook is gonna recognize (or fit) it is unknown. I haven't read anything about such a modification online. If you're gonna try it out, make sure you can exchange it in the case it doesn't work.

xyian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
PDX
Difference in RAM

The G3 used the 144-pin SODIMMs and the G4 uses 200-pin DDR SODIMMS. A little different. I just don't want to spend $300 and find out it doesn't recognize the RAM. I'm sure someone out there has tried it, right? I'm just frustrated because(of course) they released the newer iBooks a month after I purchased mine. I'm not unhappy with mine I just want it to have more than 640MB RAM.

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
Whoops! I thought you were talking 'bout the Ibook G3 900mhz :) As far as the G4 Ibooks are concernered, yes you can throw 1Gb into them. They have the same mobo design as the the last generation G4 Powerbooks, so they can definetley utilize that much, I think it actually adds Max's out at 1152mb because of the onboard soldered Ram.

Maxing out a Powerbook/Ibooks RAM is one of the best upgrades you can do. Take the price hit and rest assured that you never ever have to think about RAM upgrading & purchasing again.

Anyways......

xyian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
PDX
Gracias amigos!

Thanks guys for the assistance!
Now I can feel cool with my purchase.
I'm still miffed they released what I wanted
a little bit later but I'll just bypass that and
get a G4 Powerbook when the G5 Powerbooks
come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.