Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
EDIT: Ok I have a new approach at this, Do I install NTFS-3g on the osx BEFORE I even do anything, which uses MACFUSE, THEN I use Bootcamp which will now have NTFS-3G as a partition type?

Also, even if it sounds stupid ( like whats the point of having a mac) if I wanted to put all my hard drive space towards windows 7, what is the minimum amount the mac osx needs? Because i will mostly be on the windows 7 to be playing my games, i still love mac, but i just won't be on that OS as much.

thanks guys!

p.s. When I go to use bootcamp I saw in one guide that you have to put in a blank cd to have it burn all the drivers onto it, but doesnt it do that with the OS disc now? i think it was a leopard guide

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You need NTFS-3G and MacFUSE for NTFS write capability. Both installations are straightforward, and one (both?) require a restart. Simple!

I have a 24 inch early 2009 mac desktop, should i download windows 7 32-bit ?

Not enough information about the computer, but get the 64-bit version.

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
You need NTFS-3G and MacFUSE for NTFS write capability. Both installations are straightforward, and one (both?) require a restart. Simple!

Not enough information about the computer, but get the 64-bit version.

Is NTFS-3g an option i can select during boot camp? and How do I use macfuse to do this? is it before I install windows 7?

http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/1...ndows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/

this guide explains how but its the wrong format, and at Step 12 in this guide, i am confused when he says "But don’t go too far away, because when your system reboots, you’ll need to remove the Windows 7 DVD." does that mean right when it reboots you take out the cd? or after all the installation is done in the pic for step 12?

Also these are my mac specs:
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
640GB Serial ATA Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

so 64-bit one will run ok?

Sorry if some of these questions have obvious answers, but I do not want to mess it up.

muttonhead411

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
correct me if i am wrong about this guys...

NTFS-3g and macfuse combined gives osx the capability to read, write (and partition i assume) in NTFS. therefore it should work regardless of whether you have a windows partition installed or not. As was mentioned before, the installation is straight forward.

Here is how i would go about it: use bootcamp to partition your drive and set up the install, pop in the windows cd, format your partitioned drive from the windows installer, reboot to osx and install macfuse and ntfs 3g and.... you're done!

NOTE: bootcamp partitions your hard drive but you will need to reformat that partition to NTFS from the windows installation disk.

therefore i dont really understand how you are finding trouble doing that. could i have misunderstood what you wanted to do with ntfs 3g? if you want to enable write capabilities in windows instead, thats another issue.

as to your second question, yes the drivers are already on your leopard install disc, just pop it in after your windows installation and follow the instruction on screen

hope this helps

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
correct me if i am wrong about this guys...

NTFS-3g and macfuse combined gives osx the capability to read, write (and partition i assume) in NTFS. therefore it should work regardless of whether you have a windows partition installed or not. As was mentioned before, the installation is straight forward.

Here is how i would go about it: use bootcamp to partition your drive and set up the install, pop in the windows cd, format your partitioned drive from the windows installer, reboot to osx and install macfuse and ntfs 3g and.... you're done!

NOTE: bootcamp partitions your hard drive but you will need to reformat that partition to NTFS from the windows installation disk.

therefore i dont really understand how you are finding trouble doing that. could i have misunderstood what you wanted to do with ntfs 3g? if you want to enable write capabilities in windows instead, thats another issue.

as to your second question, yes the drivers are already on your leopard install disc, just pop it in after your windows installation and follow the instruction on screen

hope this helps

If i remember correctly you can only read windows files with NTFS with bootcamp?

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Boot Camp itself has nothing to do with it, but you have the general idea. OS X can only read NTFS partitions by default. Installing NTFS-3G and MacFUSE allow you to write to them.

I am just confused on the order of what I do, tell me if I am wrong.

1. Install NTFS-3g and MacFUSE on OS X.
2. Start Bootcamp, and pick how much HD space to allocate for Windows
3. Put in Windows 7 Disc to install
4. Select the partition with Bootcamp titled in it
5. Select Advance and Chose format - Because NTFS-3g is installed, it should be in the format list correct?
6. After windows is installed, remove Windows Disc by using computer and eject option and insert Mac OS x disc
7. Open Boot Camp folder and select setup
8. Install Drivers

Am I missing anything?

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Also my only question is how does macFUSE work? Do I need to use it after it is installed, or does it do it automatically

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
5. Select Advance and Chose format - Because NTFS-3g is installed, it should be in the format list correct?
6. After windows is installed, remove Windows Disc by using computer and eject option and insert Mac OS x disc
7. Open Boot Camp folder and select setup
8. Install Drivers

Am I missing anything?

Well, you choose the partition and then hit the format button, since you can't advance any further without formatting first.

NTFS-3G can't be seen by Windows, as it's installed in OS X. Since you're booted from a Windows disk, the hard drive behaves like a normal hard drive. Write support has ALWAYS existed in the hard drive (because it's just a hard drive), so you can do whatever Windows is able to do straight up.

The rest is correct. Have fun!

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Quick question, I just partitioned the HD into two, and Boot camp is on my desktop. Do I partition that outside of the boot camp window? or Do I hit install and then it will give me more options?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
Quick question, I just partitioned the HD into two, and Boot camp is on my desktop. Do I partition that outside of the boot camp window? or Do I hit install and then it will give me more options?

Hit Install. It will restart and boot from the disk automatically. Don't do anything until you need to, and when the time comes, choose the partition that says "BOOTCAMP" and none of the others.

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
ok heres what went down, in the advanced part i hit partition instead of format and it did nothing so i continued, realized that happened hit cancel, but when i went to start over the Boot camp partition was not called bootcamp! so i just canceled the whole thing and i am going back into OS x.

What should i do?

on my desktop its called untitled now, do i need to merge the two HDs back together ? or should i erase it with the disc utility and just name it BOOTCAMP ?

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
ok heres what went down, in the advanced part i hit partition instead of format and it did nothing so i continued, realized that happened hit cancel, but when i went to start over the Boot camp partition was not called bootcamp! so i just canceled the whole thing and i am going back into OS x.

What should i do?

on my desktop its called untitled now, do i need to merge the two HDs back together ? or should i erase it with the disc utility and just name it BOOTCAMP ?

Start completely over! Merge the boot camp partition back into 1.

You are making a VERY simple proceedure VERY complicated. STOP IT.

First of all, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHEN YOU INSTALL MACFUSE AND NTFS-3G. The installation of Windows 7 and Macfuse with NTFS-3g are NON DEPENDENT ON EACH OTHER.

When you create your partition, make one partition smaller than the other, that way, when you format it, you can tell the difference between your Mac OS X partition and what will be your Windows partition.

Follow the guide YOU found in order! You CANNOT go wrong if you FOLLOW THE GUIDE IN ORDER! Do not ask questions regarding it. Just do it and follow it. It is extremely straight forward, and if you have problems regarding the installation of Windows on your Mac, get someone who knows how to install Windows on a Mac to do it for you. The guide though is VERY detailed, provides pictures and is in CHRONOLOGICAL order.

i am confused when he says "But don’t go too far away, because when your system reboots, you’ll need to remove the Windows 7 DVD." does that mean right when it reboots you take out the cd? or after all the installation is done in the pic for step 12?

What are you confused about? After that screen, the computer will reboot. THAT is when you can take the DVD out. In fact, IIRC, you don't even need to take the DVD out.

Just do. You'll figure it out as you go along.

And when you hit format, it only takes a second for it to do its thing. When the partition was renamed, that should indicate to you that it was indeed formatted. It does not matter what the partition is called. The name is 100% irrelavent.

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Alright I know im sorry i complicate simple things, so im trying to make it right now. What format type should i pick, mac os extended or with journaled?

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
ok i installed everything fine except i have one issue that i am concerned about, when I go to install bootcamp with the drivers it says

"Boot Camp x64 s unsupport on this computer model"

So what does this mean as far as the drivers that were on that?

Is it worth starting over and getting 32-bit Windows 7?

MKnight

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007

muttonhead411

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
Hi cdcoleman,

don't be discouraged!! we're here to help each other. Congrats on successfully installing windows. I'm sure you'll be able to help others out in the same area next time round!

As for the drivers that you mentioned, could you tell us which version of the bootcamp drivers that you are using? also do let us know which MBP that you're using. Is it a new unibody? or the older versions?

Drivers are a tricky thing to get right, especially if its an RC and 64 bit. But rest assured, many have successfully done it without too much trouble.

Since you'll be using it to game alot, the most important drivers you will need is already available from nvidia, and if i am correct, the realtek sound drivers are included in the latest release of bootcamp drivers. (if you know how to get your hands on the latest snow leopard bootcamp drivers, that would be even better)

Have a read here and see if it helps:http://blog.sallarp.com/installing-windows-7-rc1-mbp/

All the best!

cdcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Hi cdcoleman,

don't be discouraged!! we're here to help each other. Congrats on successfully installing windows. I'm sure you'll be able to help others out in the same area next time round!

As for the drivers that you mentioned, could you tell us which version of the bootcamp drivers that you are using? also do let us know which MBP that you're using. Is it a new unibody? or the older versions?

Drivers are a tricky thing to get right, especially if its an RC and 64 bit. But rest assured, many have successfully done it without too much trouble.

Since you'll be using it to game alot, the most important drivers you will need is already available from nvidia, and if i am correct, the realtek sound drivers are included in the latest release of bootcamp drivers. (if you know how to get your hands on the latest snow leopard bootcamp drivers, that would be even better)

Have a read here and see if it helps:http://blog.sallarp.com/installing-windows-7-rc1-mbp/

All the best!

thanks! I am going to get the snow leopard bootcamp drivers, i did not know they were compatable, but now i do :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.