Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I've seen a lot of threads with people wanting tons of things for the new iPod. Although it is all speculation, and your guess is as good as mine, I'm trying to be realistic as to what the new Touch will have, based on Apple's history.

Plastic Backing: No
We all hate the metal backing of the iPod, but I don't expect that to change. It has been the backing of all of Apple's highest end iPods, and there seems to be no reason to change it. I think Apple likes the fact that it scratches so easily, it makes people want to buy new ones every year. Although there's no doubt a plastic backing would be welcome by many, I don't think it will happen.

64 GB: Yes
Seems logical. I don't think that Apple likes having the same maximum capacity on both the iPhone and the iPod Touch. The iPod is meant to be a media device more so than the iPhone, so it's only logical that the highest end model have more capacity. I would expect 16, 32, and 64 gig models replacing the current lineup and the same price points.

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating: Yes
Apple quietly put this on the iPhone 3GS, meaning it's not a huge deal. Apple usually likes to play up even minor additions (i.e. MMS and Video Recording). So the fact they didn't play this up tells me its rather simple and I expect it to reach the iPod, also quietly.

Camera: Yes
Call me crazy, but I think this is going to happen. One reason was an Apple job listing looking for people to work on cameras for the iPod. The second reason is logical. Apple's 2G Touch was a very incremental update. It changed its appearance slightly, added a volume rocker, a speaker, and several other small changes. This was a very small upgrade, and Apple is not usually known to do 2 minor upgrades on iPods back-to-back. I think many people resisted the temptation to upgrade from 1G to 2G, and Apple needs to do something big to the iPod to get people to upgrade. So even though it's a toss up, I'm predicting it will have the same camera as the iPhone with video recording. It's the slam dunk new feature that Apple could use to drive sales of the device.

GPS: No
Would love to have it, but I just have a gut feeling you won't see it on this iPod. Can't explain it, just don't think it will happen.

Microphone: Yes
The inclusion of the Voice Memos application on the iPod Touch 3.0 software sealed the deal on this for me. It makes no sense to have a non removable app like that on the Touch if very few of its owners can use it. Out of the box, every iPod user should be able to use every Apple application, including Voice Memos. Although, I'm not necessarily saying the microphone will be on the device. In fact I think it's more likely the microphone will be on the headphones, similar to the iPhone's headphones. Just expect there to be a microphone somewhere inside the Touch's packaging.

3G: No
I don't know why anyone thinks this is possible. The iPod is not a cell phone.

Thinner: Yes
But only slightly. Ever so slightly. Likely unnoticeable.

Better battery life, faster performance: Yes
This is a given, every Apple product is always more battery efficient and faster than the previous model. It will be interesting though to see just how much better they get. The battery will likely only get incrementally better, but the faster performance is a tough one. It will definitely be faster, but whether it is incremental like the 2G Touch, or considerably faster like the iPhone 3GS, remains to be seen. I'm leaning more towards 3GS.

Compass: No
I think the average person is only going to use the compass on the 3GS to aid in using the GPS. Since the iPod won't have GPS (in my opinion), the compass is almost useless.

Voice Control: Yes
This makes sense. Since I believe a microphone will be included with every device, it's logical to include this feature.

Front-facing camera: No
This will never happen on any iPod. Apple is all about clean design. Nothing looks worse than a camera protruding out on the front of the device. It's ugly and I don't think Apple believes enough people would use the feature to warrant its inclusion.

Better speaker: Yes
The speaker on the 2G Touch is lackluster. Better speakers exist for the iPhone. Expect an upgrade, even though it likely won't be heavily advertised.

AM/FM Tuner: No
People have wanted this forever, and it will never happen. Never has, never will. Even more so now that there are apps that let you listen to radio over the internet.

Aluminum unibody design: No
While I could potentially see this in the future, you won't see it on the 3G Touch. I expect the Touch's physical design to remain very similar to the 2G model. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if it's identical (aside from the camera on the back).

So that's all I could think of, if I come up with more I'll update the thread. I think that the biggest new feature of the device will be a camera, and that will be Apple's biggest selling point. They can not do another incremental update to this device, and the only plausible huge feature they can add is a camera, so I think they're going to do it. A lot of people don't think they will, but two years ago we didn't think an iPod would ever have internet and look at the device now. We can't imagine it without it. So in my opinion, look for the new iPod Touch this September to include a camera, as well as the other features I described above.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I think you've got it all right, except:

1) It won't be thinner, especially if a camera is added. If anything, it'll be thicker
2) Why not GPS? I think this makes sense, if only for the Find My iPod feature.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
interesting predictions (on your opinion)

a better speaker is something that I've been hearing my friends with the 2G complaining on like every day of my life. However, a better battery life is probably the weakest point of the iPod Touch.

And I haven't seen this before on MacRumors, but an aluminum unibody (as you cited) would be cool.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
You know, I can't really describe the GPS thing. I tried to type a reason but I don't have one. That's one of those things that's just a gut feeling. I just don't think they'll do it, for no good reason lol. I'm not arguing your point, it would be a great feature that I myself would love to have. I just have a feeling they won't do it, at least not for this model.

jaycebeasley

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Austin, Texas
I think you've got it all right, except:

1) It won't be thinner, especially if a camera is added. If anything, it'll be thicker
2) Why not GPS? I think this makes sense, if only for the Find My iPod feature.

It would be pointless to have GPS if you only have Wi-Fi connectivity. Not very useful.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
My thoughts:

Plastic Backing: I hate the back, but I agree, I doubt they'll change it.

64 GB: I think so too, and the more the merrier, especially if they add the camera w/ video.

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating: Also would be nice.

Camera: Yes, with video please!

GPS: I agree, not necessary.

Microphone: I agree, and what would be cool is if it could include a GarageBand Lite app, where I could record an acoustic guitar to it (or voice) and multitrack it up to 4 to 6 tracks. There already are a couple apps in the Store that do this, but I'd like to see Apple's spin on this. If they were to use the processor in the 3Gs, it could definitely handle a few tracks easily.

3G: Agreed. You might as well get an iPhone at this point if you need 3G.

Better battery life, faster performance: Yes, should be a given seeing as how the Gen2 iTouch was faster than the iPhone 3G, and the fact that Apple is marketing the Touch as a great gaming platform.

Compass: used it today, pretty pointless, IMO. So I personally couldn't care less about it.

AM/FM Tuner: No
With internet radio apps it's largely unneccessary. Plus radio sucks these days!

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
It would be pointless to have GPS if you only have Wi-Fi connectivity. Not very useful.

GPS does not require any sort of connection.

You know, I can't really describe the GPS thing. I tried to type a reason but I don't have one. That's one of those things that's just a gut feeling. I just don't think they'll do it, for no good reason lol. I'm not arguing your point, it would be a great feature that I myself would love to have. I just have a feeling they won't do it, at least not for this model.

Ah okay.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007

Well here's what I'm not sure about. Does GPS need Wi-Fi to work? GPS units in your car don't use internet correct? If GPS on an iPod needs Wi-Fi, then its pointless. If not, it would be useful, though I still don't think you'll see it yet.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Well here's what I'm not sure about. Does GPS need Wi-Fi to work? GPS units in your car don't use internet correct? If GPS on an iPod needs Wi-Fi, then its pointless. If not, it would be useful, though I still don't think you'll see it yet.

GPS doesn't need wifi to work, but then you would need to have all of the map data pre-loaded already onto the touch which would take up space.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
GPS doesn't need wifi to work, but then you would need to have all of the map data pre-loaded already onto the touch which would take up space.

I believe the GPS applications that are going to be released for the iPhone are going to take up about a gig or so of space. Not terrible

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I too have this inner gut feeling that GPS won't happen. However, I'll argue just the same why GPS will happen, and why any other arguments are wrong, simply because I want it to happen.

The "find my iPod" feature is actually probably the strongest current argument for why the Touch will have GPS. The numerous iPhone applications dealing with GPS may also be a clue.

GPS does not require WiFi. Period. Any questions?

The size of the GPS chip is a bit of a problem, however. A bit more thickness might be necessary, unless Apple really can fit it in. I definitely see GPs in the next update, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be in this one.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
GPS Was out before wifi so you don't need wifi for gps duh wha would be the point? Really I don't think a hiker in god knows where is trying to find a hotspot..... Ok as for GPS on iPod touch NO NO NO NO NO NO. Stop talking about it, I really want it but it's really not going to happen so stop making me think about it but I would like to be proved wrong if it happens. Really only people I want with suspicions of features are people well versed on this type of speculation but for the rest of us we can just brain storm and dream.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i disagree about a few things. IMO i think there is a tiny miniscule possibility for GPS. for one the Find My iPod feature is too unreliable using skyhook, it needs GPS for it to be reliable. also, with the release a 3.0 there's going to be a lot of new navigation apps including TomTom so this would create more money for apple. also i think the magnetometer (a.k.a. digital compass) will be there even if it doesn't get GPS. the magnetometer can be used for more things than just a compass, including game controls. so if they're going for "the funnest iPod ever", i think they'll add those extra controls. imagine the possibilities with the magnetometer + the accelerometer.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I think the most promising features and most likely are the microphone one.

I believe the OP is right. They have included voice memos, and Apple is all about Accessibility (with the Macs, iPhone), so Voice Control might work for the visually impaired.

The next Touch needs to offer more than the 1st to 2nd gen did. And although a camera is bound to be a feature, I can see them waiting a generation for this but I don't know.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Plastic Backing: Maybe

64 GB: Yes

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating: Yes

Camera: Yes
3G touch will get the iPhone 3G camera I think

GPS: Yes
But not built in. An accessory will come out.

Microphone: No- not on the device

3G: Yes

It's very possible. A company just has to make a router for the dock connector.

Thinner: No

Better battery life, faster performance: Yes

Compass: Yes

Front-facing camera: No

AM/FM Tuner: Maybe
The bluetooth chip is also FM capable all they need is a software update to unlock it

Aluminum unibody design: Maybe

In terms of physical appearance it's possible to make the screen bigger and keep the size of the device or keep the screen size and make the device smaller. I think they will change the look

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Never a radio? Don't bet on it. It's an easy thing to add (hardware-wise). The ZuneHD comes with one (HD Radio) that serves as a mechanism to sell more music (tag to buy). Everything else out there (except iPods) have FM radio, and most can record from it. Apple isn't know to leave a profit path laying on the table. If there is a way to make money from an on-board radio the Touch will eventually get one.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Exactly. If Apple intended to add FM radio, they would've done it a long time ago.

Exactly what I was thinking. Of course it would be an easy thing to implement, Apple just had no interest in doing that. It's a cheap feature for a high end product like the iPod. Why do I need radio when I have enough capacity to hold every song I'd ever want to listen to? And as I said, if I feel the need to listen to radio, there are applications that do it. I think Apple does things to please the masses. The amount of people who would use the radio would be less than those who didn't. Besides Apple doesn't want you to listen to free radio, they want you buying music :p

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Exactly. If Apple intended to add FM radio, they would've done it a long time ago.
Yea, like they started out with the iPhone apps. And of course Bluetooth stereo. And of course the external volume buttons and speaker that came on the 2nd gen. And of course I'm positive this is the first iPod to have WiFi. All of these things were "Never gonna happen" at one time.

The Touch is all about new things for Apple's iPod line. To believe there is anything they won't do is to run with blinders on.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Yea, like they started out with the iPhone apps. And of course Bluetooth stereo. And of course the external volume buttons and speaker that came on the 2nd gen. And of course I'm positive this is the first iPod to have WiFi. All of these things were "Never gonna happen" at one time.

The Touch is all about new things for Apple's iPod line. To believe there is anything they won't do is to run with blinders on.

That post doesn't change the fact that it's still an iPod and there's a point where this iPod crosses the line of territory into the iPhones juristriction.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007

Yes but there's one fundamental thing that you're missing. Much of what is added to the iPod are new technologies. A radio? They could have put that on the very first iPod if they wanted to. I see no way for Apple to make money off of it at all. It's such a basic feature that if Apple wanted it on an iPod, it would have been a long time ago.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
iPhone juristriction? Yea, better not put Wifi or iphone apps on a Touch. Bluetooth? That's an iPhone feature stay away! No sense giving the Touch a contact list, as there is no way to call from it. The closer Apple makes the Touch to the iPhone the more they sell. They aren't the idiots you suggest they must be.

Hardware that should have been there from the first? There was no bluetooth chip in the 1st gen Touch. Broadcom makes radio chips, and in the same spot Apple put the WiFi/Bluetooth chip, and for probably the same cost, they can put a WiFi/Bluetooth/FM chip. For all we know that's the chip in the 2nd gen right now. It took them a year to "turn on" the bluetooth aspect of that chip. Won't surprise me a bit to discover they turn on FM with 3.5 firmware (for another $10), or the 3rd gen gets a slightly better radio chip for the same price.

Unnecessary? Yes, there are web radio stations. They are great until you're out of WiFi range (or your power goes out) and the weather turns sour. Radio survives today because it give you local news and weather. The majority of the world won't find their local news on a web radio station, and no one's weather app will work if the power goes out.
You are insulting Apple to suggest they don't get this when the rest of the industry does.

How about we wait and see?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
If, and it's a big IF, we see a camera on the iPod Touch 3G we'll also see GPS. Why? One word - iPhoto. One of the big new features introdcued in the latest version was geo-tagging photos. For that to work you NEED a GPS to provide location data to the camera. Doesn't make sense to build that entire eco-system and then not include the (very cheap) hardware that is needed to provide that cruicial data.

Again, at this point we can only speculate but I wouldn't be surprised to see a plastic case ala iPhone if we get a GPS. The metal case would likely interfere too much with the GPS signal. Microphone I think is a 50/50 as it really does take the iPod dangerously close to the iPhone but I could maybe see Apple including the iPhone headphones with the iPod. Not sure about that one.

Personally I'd expect something that's more incremental update than revolution. Certainly the new processor and GPU from the iPhone, double the capacity of the the 2G and only small overall design tweaks. 50/50 on camera, GPS and microphone and no chance on earth of 3G data connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.