PDA

View Full Version : VHS to DVD....

chadrob30
Jun 22, 2009, 06:13 PM
OK, I've done some snooping around, without much success. What I've done is take some VHS tapes, transferred via VCR to my DVD recorder, then burned a DVD. Now I want to get the DVD onto my Mac so I can extract certain parts of the DVD that I don't want to be on the final DVD. I have a mini DV video camera if it could go in the mix somewhere. Thanks.

spice weasel
Jun 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
There are ways to do what you want to do, but it will be a bit of a hassle and you will lose picture quality. You're better off re-capturing your VHS tapes.

If your camcorder does analog-to-digital conversion, then it will be easy. Connect your VCR to your camera (probably using a component to mini-plug cable, but check to see what your specific camera uses) and then your camera to your computer via firewire. Set your camera to playback mode and launch iMovie. You should be able to capture what's playing on the VCR straight to your computer.

If your camera does not support analog to digital conversion, then you can just break the process into two steps: first, capture from VCR to miniDV tape in your camera (use the record function instead of playback; think of old school cassette tape copying), and then, when done, import into iMovie as usual. The downside to this method is that it takes twice as long and you can only record an hour at a time.

chadrob30
Jun 22, 2009, 06:27 PM
OK, thanks!

chadrob30
Jun 22, 2009, 09:48 PM
Well I guess I got component and composite confused, I don't have a component to mini cable. I've never seen nor heard of one, any links?

spice weasel
Jun 22, 2009, 10:04 PM
Well I guess I got component and composite confused, I don't have a component to mini cable. I've never seen nor heard of one, any links?

Sorry, my bad. I meant composite.

chadrob30
Jun 22, 2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry, my bad. I meant composite.

OK, in that case my camcorder must not support passthrough. I can't get anything to show up in iMovie....I can't even get it to do anything in the second method you wrote about...dammit....:D

MrLatte23
Jun 23, 2009, 07:06 AM
to convert the DVD's. Maybe the quality won't be all that awful. MPEG Streamclip can convert (H.264) mp4 files into something iMovie can easily edit.