Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auto123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
ok, it's been a while since I've been here and because my imac g3 sits on a table in my room, me being an I.T. geek I had to get the thing back up and running, after all, I see it whenever I'm in my room and I'm in my room 90% of the time I'm at home.

what I want is a good looking machine that does more than play music, so I want to strip the OS down to just the finder with no processes running in the background, that will work quick and efficiently with the out dated hardware, and I want to dual boot with a linux distribution that can run fast and not look ugly.

also my mums 650 mhz celeron which I reinstalled xp on is eating my 700 mhz imac which has more ram and a better video card

so a few things I've done in the past week:

installed os x tiger (found it slower than 10.3.9)
installed all updates (hate the new itunes, how can I roll back to the previous version?)
disabled dash board
used onyx to optimize the system
turned off dock animations
turned off file selecting animations
trimmed dock to only what i use
firefox 3 with fasterfox and ad block plus

are there any other ram eating processes I can kill? any g3 specific optimizations? tiny os x releases out yet?

also I'm trying to put on Xubuntu ppc (read it's good) and whenever i try to run the live cd it will load the kernel and ram drive and then everything will just stop and the power button LED will go half as bright as normal. I let it sit for an hour thinking "gee, maybe it's supposed to do that" but sadly realized it couldn't take that long.

what I need to know is where i can get a working iso of xubuntu or any better version of linux to easily dual boot and then easily uninstall when I find i hate it.

thanks for your time,
-Tyler ^_^

I may also be up to a ram upgrade, is it worth it and where can I find sdram dirt cheap?

auto123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
flame shield up:
I found out you can install boot camp for windows on a powerpc imac.
http://www.macuser.com/geekery/stupid_computer_tricks_install.php
it says that's it's useless but a thought popped into my head, microsoft totally made a windows NT 4 compatible with power pc.

already tried booting off the NT 4 cd (lol, why not :D ) but if i could install bootcamp on my imac g3, could I install this powerpc compatible windows NT 4 on with boot camp?

or would it take a crap load of coding to make a bootloader for NT 4?

auto123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
^did you even click the link?^

anyway I've installed ubuntu 9.4 jaunty.

re-installed os-x (why can't partitioning be easy like windows?) and is now not optimized.

currently installing xubuntu desktop as I write this.

everything seems kinda odd looking (graphics wise), what can I do to make the graphics look less like 16 bit windows and more smooth looking?

thanks,
-Tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.