PDA

View Full Version : No G5s yet, Wicked G4s though!

Ensign Paris
Dec 10, 2001, 03:45 PM
Just found this:

While Apple will not release a Power Mac in January based on the G5 microprocessor, recent reports on the web have elements of truth to them, sources said.

The new pro desktops, believed to ship at Macworld Expo/San Francisco next month, will reportedly ship with a PowerPC 7460 G4 chip, code-named Apollo. While details of the chip have been available since the G4's release years ago, the 7460 has comprised the top of the G4 line and no Apple hardware has shipped with one as of yet.

The new Power Mac G4s will have blazing speed: The lowest-end model will be just under a gigahertz, while the high-end units will come in at 1.4 gigahertz, easily surpassing the "gigahertz barrier."

Other features on board the new Power Macs will include 266MHz DDR SDRAM, a 256K L2 cache and a 2MB L3 cache on the high-end, and upgraded FireWire connectivity, possibly IEEE 1394b. They will not ship with USB 2, however. Additionally, sources said that Apple is planning to begin bundling more software with its pro hardware -- for example, not all PowerBook owners purchase Microsoft Office, and many need a functional productivity application like AppleWorks.

The source of the recent G5 confusion may be the fact that Apple has considered marketing the unit as a Power Mac G5. This development was first reported by MacEdition's NMR Report early last month, but it is unknown as to whether Apple still has such plans.

Catfish_Man
Dec 10, 2001, 04:34 PM
To have DDR RAM they would have to double the bus speed of the G4. While this is possible (is it? I think it is), it seems pretty unlikely.

Falleron
Dec 10, 2001, 04:45 PM
If apple does badge the new machine a G5 then I think we shall a major overhall of the entire line including increases in bus speed.

maybe a geforce 3?? Especially if the iMac gets the geforce2!

oldMac
Dec 10, 2001, 06:27 PM
DDR speed is a function of 2X bus speed (2 x 133 = 266). This is because DDR, like RAMBUS is "double-edge clocked" meaning that it operates on both the up and the down of the clock cycle.

In my opinion, we should at least expect to get DDR out of this revision. It's one of the simplest (that's a relative term) things Apple can do to improve performance and the technology is very mature.

jefhatfield
Dec 10, 2001, 07:43 PM
good point

hey you hit your hundred, congrats!

dantec
Dec 10, 2001, 11:36 PM
Now what am I going to do with my 3 month old Quicksilver? DOH!

Do you think upgrade cards will be out by the time of the G5's arrival?

And do any of you guys think that there will be any "dual" configurations?

DannyZR2
Dec 10, 2001, 11:54 PM
Upgrades are behind right now. I'm still waiting for one for my Pismo 500. It's a daughtercard config, how can this be hard to do? where is my sonnettech upgrade?

I would not expect to see a G5 upgrade card until 6 months after the debut.. but still, it's not a moto 8500, it's a 7460.. which means it's still 32 bit..

I will be holding out for the 64 bit 8500 (true G5)

But that's only because I dont' have the money to buy new everytime "new" changes.

agreenster
Dec 11, 2001, 07:45 AM
Man, I hear you there. Im really tired of buying a new Mac, and two weeks later (seems like) it's not worth anything. I got one of the earlier G4's about two months after they came out (the 400mHz G4, not the 350) and 3 months later, the dual 500's came out. My buddy bought that. Four months later (maybe) the Dual 800's. Sheesh. I know technology is expanding at an enourmous rate, but that also means my money is doing the exact opposite!

spikey
Dec 11, 2001, 10:52 AM
Well just be grateful macs arent improving speed-wise as much as they should.
If apple wants to catch up then they will have to scale speeds even faster than they have done.
Until a new killer app comes out i am going to save my pennies for a new imac, or possibly a second hand cube.

dantec
Dec 11, 2001, 11:04 AM
My nearest Mac dealer has 2 500mhz cubes. But I live in Switzerland, where Powermacs are really popular.

eyelikeart
Dec 11, 2001, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by dantec
My nearest Mac dealer has 2 500mhz cubes. But I live in Switzerland, where Powermacs are really popular.

Out of curiosity, how much is your nearby dealer asking for the Cubes? I've actually been wanting one for a collector's piece if u will. I think it would be a great computer to have just to have (even though I don't really need it).

Buggy
Dec 14, 2001, 12:10 AM
Mr. Paris,

I totaly agree with you re:Apollo at MWSF. I think the G5 rumors are wishful thinking at best.

But I can't see them calling these machines G5's (I know you weren't the one to start this rumour) Only "Macaddicts" are reading all this rumor stuff about the G5, but we will be the first to realize that they are not really G5's. There would be too much back lash on Apple. The media would then remeber the fiasco of the G4's first introduction at 400mhz,...no wait, no it is the G4 350. :)
They can't afford to repeat that one.

[Edited by Buggy on 12-14-2001 at 01:47 AM]

jefhatfield
Dec 14, 2001, 01:11 AM
what we cannot afford is to be sub-one gigahertz in 2002 when the pc world showed the consumer that breakthrough machine during the first half of last year?

sure i know a G4 450 could beat a one gigahertz pc on some tasks, but will the consumer know that? probably not unless they are technically inclined which most consumers are not on that level...i mean i have never heard a salesperson try to sell me a computer based on the latest zd benchmark rating

dantec
Dec 14, 2001, 01:37 AM
Apple needs 1.5ghz G5's or better. Intel is expected to launch 2ghz P4's in the first quarter of 2002!

britboy
Dec 14, 2001, 03:38 AM
erm... 2Ghz P4's are already out and available.

Falleron
Dec 14, 2001, 05:52 AM
Its actually the 2.2Ghz P4 to be released in the first quater of next year.