PDA

View Full Version : PB 12" Temperature

aldous
May 25, 2004, 02:22 AM
Hi,

I guess it's normal for a Powerbook 12" 1.33 GHz to get really hot, but what exactly is _really_ hot?
During normal operation XRC measures around 48C CPU Topside, 51C CPU On Die, 29C Battery and 38C Hdd Bottomside.

It has been compiling lots of Fink-Packages for a few hours now, and temperature is at 61C CPU Top, 66C CPU On Die, 32C Battery and 47C Hdd.
IIRC, yesterday, when it had compiled for more than 10 hours it was even higher.

Sorry for my ignorance: current values in Fahrenheit: CPU Top: 142.7F, CPU Die: 150.8F, Battery: 91.4F, Hdd 117.5F (a rise of 7C on Hdd since i originally posted this..)

At the moment the Powerbook rests on two CD-covers, so there is a gap of some millimeters between table and book.

Is that normal? What are your values?
I know that a compilation is a process stressing the CPU much, but not only the temperature during compilation but also during normal operation makes me suspicious.
The fan does go on occasionally, and at high temperatures like stated above I can even feel the air flow, which i wasn't able to anytime during normal operation..

thanks,
aldous

jKmxxx
May 25, 2004, 03:19 AM
Hi,

I guess it's normal for a Powerbook 12" 1.33 GHz to get really hot, but what exactly is _really_ hot?
During normal operation XRC measures around 48C CPU Topside, 51C CPU On Die, 29C Battery and 38C Hdd Bottomside.

It has been compiling lots of Fink-Packages for a few hours now, and temperature is at 61C CPU Top, 66C CPU On Die, 32C Battery and 47C Hdd.
IIRC, yesterday, when it had compiled for more than 10 hours it was even higher.

At the moment the Powerbook rests on two CD-covers, so there is a gap of some millimeters between table and book.

Is that normal? What are your values?
I know that a compilation is a process stressing the CPU much, but not only the temperature during compilation but also during normal operation makes me suspicious.
The fan does go on occasionally, and at high temperatures like stated above I can even feel the air flow, which i wasn't able to anytime during normal operation..

thanks,
aldous

Hi aldous,

I am also doing some PB temperature testing with a data logger.

Test on 15" 1.5Ghz PowerBook-

From 61C to 63C from the PowerBook is normal on load, but should drop down to 58C and lessC on idle. 66C is hot, I haven't seen my PB going that high on load. 70C is the pain point for anyone to touch.

I am also finding ways to cool down the PB. (in my next applications notes.)

Please see here for more information:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=72341

Also I have some photos durning the test, please visit here. (http://www.datataker.com/faq/test/pb_test.html)

thxs

steadyeddie
May 25, 2004, 03:39 AM
I also get similar high temperatures under high load. The graphics chip (GPU) is the hottest part for me. Games are the worst- they really heat up the graphics chip. I think my GPU goes above 70C when playing 3D-intensive games, although I can't be certain of the temp off hand (I occasionally use an app called ThermoInDock to monitor the temperatures).

johnnyjibbs
May 25, 2004, 04:29 AM
I think these are normal. My PB 12" 1GHz gets hot in certain places, particularly after high load but it never gets too hot to touch or too uncomfortable to use so I'm not worried. It's made of metal so it will get hot - this is a good way of dissapating heat out so that the innards don't cook...

steadyeddie
May 25, 2004, 04:34 AM
Yes, I agree the high temperatures are normal. The metal casing just makes people more aware of it by conducting the heat away from the motherboard and onto the hands/lap!

emotion
May 25, 2004, 05:30 AM
Yes, I agree the high temperatures are normal. The metal casing just makes people more aware of it by conducting the heat away from the motherboard and onto the hands/lap!

very true.

my 1.33 12" get's hot (compared with a plastic cased laptop) but subjectively i've noticed how this rev c machine is a lot cooler that the two rev b machines i've used recently. also the fan comes on a lot less on this model compared with the rev b machines (especially compared with these machines after panther upgrade...the fan comes on earlier in panther)

robin...

keysersoze
May 25, 2004, 08:04 AM
very true.

my 1.33 12" get's hot (compared with a plastic cased laptop) but subjectively i've noticed how this rev c machine is a lot cooler that the two rev b machines i've used recently. also the fan comes on a lot less on this model compared with the rev b machines (especially compared with these machines after panther upgrade...the fan comes on earlier in panther)

robin...

My new 12" @1.33 stays *warm* when doing average stuff...it only seems to really cook when I play UT2003. Comparing it to my previous iBook G4 800, I'd say they are both equally comfortable (I have no idea what temperatures they run at). But, curiously, the blowing air from the fan on the PB is MUCH more noticeable than the iBook. Both make a substantial amount of noise, which doesn't bother me, but the PB blows hot air from under the screen, onto my legs. I guess I would prefer that then it re-routing the hot air into the machine... which I am wondering, was that happening with the iBook. hmm....

abc123
May 25, 2004, 08:44 AM
i get about 46 usually just looking around on the web and such.
i was playing monkey island yesterday and it got up to 65. i've found that using os 9 games does that.

Chaszmyr
May 25, 2004, 08:56 AM
I know this post is more about internal temperatures than external temperatures, but I figured I'd chime in anyway:

I keep hearing people complain about how hot the outside of PowerBook G4s get... I have a 1ghz 12'' PowerBook.. And it does get pretty warm on the outside, but it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my old 292mhz G3 PowerBook got on the bottom