Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I would like to know if there was a way to show the post count as seen in your profile beside your posts so you could tell how many posts you have until the next post count level?

Like the iPhone friendly view does but without the super narrow screen?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't know how vBulletin would handle this, but I think it is totally irrelevant

Post count levels are meaningless apart from reaching enough for the PRSI, Marketplace, avatar, etc, and those are fairly low.
Beyond that, the levels are entirely arbitrary.

My 2¢ is this encourages spamming

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Well, well, well. If it isn't the Daily dmmcintyre3 Site and Forum Feedback Thread™.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
A long time ago post counts were visible. They are not anymore because people spam their count higher. If you want to see your post count just click on your avatar. Or your user name.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
It is interesting (and I never noticed) that post count is shown in the iPhone view. One would think that if post count were truly deemed unimportant, it would not be visible when using that style sheet either.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
At first, I was with you about post counts but now I am starting to agree with the Admin here.

If the person can post quality stuff, he will be remembered

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
And now I'm not seeing post counts in iPhone format either. :confused: is that deliberate?
Yes. It wasn't supposed to be displayed, and we fixed it.

We know from experience that displaying post counts encourages spamming. NOT displayed them doesn't cure all post-count spamming, but it helps.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

We know from experience that displaying post counts encourages spamming. NOT displayed them doesn't cure all post-count spamming, but it helps.

i thought so. i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. the iphone format has been on here a good while.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Does your title really matter to you that much? Do you know basic addition and subtraction to figure out how many posts you need to move to the next level?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Does your title really matter to you that much? Do you know basic addition and subtraction to figure out how many posts you need to move to the next level?

Don't know if that was to me or the OP, but I only looked while in iPhone mode, because it was an easy way to see who was a newbie, etc. I don't pay attention to post count in general, mine or others', other than to try to help gauge the sincerity of a "questionable" post.

Thanks for the clarification.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't see how post count will help if a post is questionable or not. A "newbie" could have a better answer than a "veteran".

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I don't see how post count will help if a post is questionable or not. A "newbie" could have a better answer than a "veteran".

If he has 1 post then it is a big red flag. It also makes it easy to see if a post is spam. (like those saying they had great service at some retailer when the poster has 1 post)

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Don't know if that was to me or the OP, but I only looked while in iPhone mode, because it was an easy way to see who was a newbie, etc. I don't pay attention to post count in general, mine or others', other than to try to help gauge the sincerity of a "questionable" post.

Sorry for the confusion, it was to the OP :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
If he has 1 post then it is a big red flag. It also makes it easy to see if a post is spam. (like those saying they had great service at some retailer when the poster has 1 post)

???

What if someone, now this may sound crazy, has had good service at a retailer and wants to talk about it?

I've got more than enough posts but I still learn stuff from Newbies. Often Newbies will add further info to one of my posts. Just because they're new doesn't mean they don't know anything.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
We have some who have been around a long time who are real jerks
We have some newbies who are very articulate and well informed

Post count ≠ anything other than lots of posts

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.