PDA

View Full Version : ibook g4 acting crazy

GrannySmith_G5
May 25, 2004, 10:56 AM
I got this ibook last november and all has been well until yesterday. First my whole system froze with the stupid beach ball and the only thing that would stop it was holding down the restart button. This happened 3 times while using 3 different apps (safari, finder, dreamweaver). Then my mouse cursor got possessed and will randomly dart around the screen or freeze.

Now my computer randomly goes into sleep mode and will not wake up no matter what I do. Plug in the power supply-nothing, bang on all the keys-nothing. The only way I can get to use it again is to unplug it and remove the battery while it is sleeping. Now it shows my battery status as zero percent even when the cord is in supposedly charging it. I have two batteries and have tried with both.

I tried repairing permissions and all the normal stupid junk that never actually does anything. Anyone know what may be the problem? I can only assume it is some sort of hardware problem.I haven't added any new ram or anything like that. The only thing I've downloaded in the past two weeks was some crappy shiira browser that I deleted already. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I'm running 10.3.3

applebum
May 25, 2004, 11:34 AM
Now my computer randomly goes into sleep mode and will not wake up no matter what I do. Plug in the power supply-nothing, bang on all the keys-nothing. The only way I can get to use it again is to unplug it and remove the battery while it is sleeping. Now it shows my battery status as zero percent even when the cord is in supposedly charging it. I have two batteries and have tried with both.

What are you typically doing when this happens? This happened to my iBook yesterday, but it was while my brother was playing an Ureal demo. He had been playing for about 90 minutes. I am guessing it was heat related. I had to take out the battery as well, but once I plugged it back in, everything works fine again. Anybody else had this happen and figured out exactly what caused it?

OnceUGoMac
May 25, 2004, 12:02 PM
Have you ran the hardware test disk?

jackieonasses
May 25, 2004, 12:19 PM
it could be the logic board...well it depends if you bought in new or not.

GrannySmith_G5
May 25, 2004, 12:22 PM
haven't run the hardware test disc. Didn't realize I had one. Hasn't gone into random sleep mode for awhile, hopefully it was a weird fluke. Maybe like was suggested, it was an overheating problem? Still having problems with the wild and sporadic mouse cursor though-is this a known 10.3 issue? Anyhow, I'll dig up the hardware test disc and give it a try. Thanks. Oh and after a few restarts the battery status in the menu bar is working again.

GrannySmith_G5
May 25, 2004, 12:23 PM
I bought it new in november

yoda13
May 25, 2004, 01:19 PM
I would run the hardware test disk. Sounds to me like it might be a logic board problem.

wide
May 25, 2004, 01:45 PM
Whatever your problem may be, you shouldn't worry as your AppleCare warranty is still in effect. I would bring it into an Apple Store rather than trying to fix it myself. It's their job to cater to our needs (at least when we buy a new computer and it breaks :mad:).

It sounds like a logic board problem to me. Wasn't there someone else on this forum with the same problem?

diamond geezer
May 25, 2004, 11:07 PM
Run the HardWare Test by booting up with DVD 1 in the drive and hold down the "option" key. Select Apple hardware test and continue booting.

If that checks out ok, setup a new user, boot into that and see if the problems persist.

If the problems persist, reinstall the OS saving your settings.

Finally take it into Apple.

Remember, AppleCare only covers hardware faults, if they fix it by reinstalling your OS, you may be charged labour!!