PDA

View Full Version : APC Surge Protector/iBook Woes

Mr. Monsieur
May 25, 2004, 11:10 AM
I posted earlier regarding this...and was hasty in my assumption that my new APC notebook surge protector pnotepro would be 'hanging from the wall socket' the way I envisioned it would work...would that it was hanging from the wall socket! Has anyone else had this annoying experience: the apple ac wall plug has only one groove and not two, thus disenabling use of my apc surge protector (as it has two 'slots' in its two-pronged socket) with my iBook. I thought the solution was to use the little corner piece of the apple ac adapter that pops out (that socket does have two grooves!) But when I did this, I found that the surge protector is not flat, and thus pushes it away from the wall (and it can't be plugged in properly). My present 'solution' is to plug it into a multi-plug that enable me to get it away from the wall. Does any of this make sense to anyone? Am I circumventing something I shouldn't be? Am I just insane? My friend has a last generation iBook and doesn't have this problem. Anyone know why Apple changed its plugs? :eek:

Le Big Mac
May 25, 2004, 12:29 PM
ibook stuff

Really not understanding what you're saying.

Is this the adapter?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/556/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/m8576lla_125.jpg

IT looks like it has a normal US plug, which should go into any APC surge supressor or any US outlet.

IF you're using this:

http://www.apc.com/resource/images/products/pnotepro_f_h.jpg
then you should return it, because it's built for a specific type of adapter that apple does not use so that the cord can more conveniently wrap around the adapter, making it more compact. Why complain about a $1500 apple product when the solution is a different $15 product from APC?

Mr. Monsieur
May 26, 2004, 12:02 AM
Really not understanding what you're saying.

Actually, you seemed to have hit everything on the head (the photos show that you most certainly 'got it'!) Why complain? You're right...I suppose I was just annoyed, having gone to the trouble to research and buy the surge protector (and open it-no returns possible! eBay is the only route, I think), it's annoying to have to begin again. (especially when I know that the last generation iBook uses these SPs with no problems....) In any case, thanks for your response!