PDA

View Full Version : imac g3 xubuntu xorg.conf configurations

auto123
Jun 23, 2009, 10:44 PM
I installed ubuntu (jaunty) on my g3 imac and it does run fast, but it's displaying a very limited amount of colors.

the internet and everything looks kinda like crap, there is inverted colors around my cursor and the icons and it just looks awful.

it looks like it may only be displaying 256 colors, which is just gross looking.

are there any fixes or should I end my tour with xubuntu as soon as it started?

btw it was installed as ubuntu ppc 9.04 then installed xubuntu desktop environment. looked like it was running limited colors while running normal ubuntu.

it dual boots mac os x tiger in case that may help.

thanks,
-Tyler

amelsen
Jun 24, 2009, 05:18 AM
I would be interested in hearing the answer to this as well...

Have you tried with both Gnome and KDE as well? Ubuntu and Kubuntu?

kge420
Jun 24, 2009, 07:44 AM
I have had little success with xubuntu on a G3. My G4 experience is with openSuse ppc and YDL. Both installed and ran well. I was trying the install of xubuntu in an iBook G3 700mHz and never had any success. It seems that support for these in the ubuntu community is waning. Keep us up to date on your success/failure.

auto123
Jun 24, 2009, 10:37 AM
well it's good to know that I'm on the same boat as some other people :D

anyway I read somewhere that xubuntu version 8.04 has better support (and it better because I've wasted almost 6 cd's writing all of this crap) so I'm DLing it now.

also there is a huge and complicated tutorial on how to install 8.04 so maybe I'll follow that.

I'll update when I install,
-Tyler