PDA

View Full Version : My rant on Mac haters

Feng Shui
Jun 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
Everyday, people around me, friends and random people deem Macs as overpriced junks. Not to mention, the unfriendly cyberspace with little kids flaunting how big a gun they have by having beef with Macs.

So, I want to ask them if they have ever become disappointed with a Mac they bought. Probably not, many of them don't even have the money to afford one. To me, they are just comforting themselves by hating Macs. This is an example. The other day, I brought my Mac to school for a presentation. My group and I were in the cafeteria, and some random person says, "Macs suck, my PC is better." Sure, your PC can be better, but I doubt Powerpoint is better than Keynote. The point is, I use a Mac because it suits my needs, and there is no need for expressing some provoking statement (probably out of jealously).

Some time this week, I was browsing a forum where senior high school students heading to college and university ask for help. Someone asked whether to buy a PC or Mac for college. Obviously, being an Apple fanboy as I am (I have valid reasons for being one, though), I recommended him/her to go with a Mac. The reasons are obvious: quality, customer support, and OS X Leopard just to name a few. Then, some uneducated people started to claim that Apple products are overpriced and worthless, and you can buy a PC that's half the price of a Mac. So, I go on with an example with the MBP, saying that it is not possible to buy a PC that is made out of aluminium, and equipped with 9600m gt and 9400m, LED screen, 4gb DDR3 memory, 2.53 GHz Penryn (is it Penryn?) processor, multi-touch trackpad and a 7-hour battery for $1000. Then the person goes on saying that he/she bought a laptop with a 512mb dedicated GPU and 2.0GHz AMD processor for $750US, compared to a Blackbook at $1400US one year ago. That gave me a good laugh. First of all, it's not half the price of the said Mac, and that was one year ago. Let alone, is it compare two laptops with the same hardware--it's like comparing an apple and an orange.

I'm not showing off when I carry around a Mac, or am I trying to become an elitist by having one. I love and use Macs because they just work, and don't give me a load of BS (PCs with Windoze).

Note: This is not a paid advertisement by Apple. I hope this article entertained those who read it.

Eidorian
Jun 23, 2009, 10:58 PM
You might want to check just a few threads down (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=727094).

DiamondMac
Jun 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have to ask and I mean this in a nice way

Who cares what they think?

I mean, i was the first in my college courses to use a Mac, one of the first in Law School, and THE FIRST at my work.

People stare, mock, question, etc.....but, again...who cares?

Does my work get done? Am I happy? That is what should really matter.

People will find anything to complain about.

barkomatic
Jun 24, 2009, 01:11 PM
The way I look at it is that its Apple problem how people perceive the computers they make--not mine. Apple has *plenty* of money to spend on marketing and they don't need my help.

Many people these days just want the cheapest item they can find--and you will never convince those types to buy a mac. They'd rather buy 3 Dells in 4 years than one macbook pro and tell themselves they spent less money.

Schtumple
Jun 24, 2009, 01:48 PM
OP, you need to smoke something man, chill out....

No1451
Jun 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
Not all those people can't afford them, some of them honestly believe that the same money spent on a Windows machine is better spent, for desktops I believe this to be very very true. An iMac can't touch a well built(not HP/Dell) desktop. Mac Pro is another story but still falls behind in some categories.

patrick0brien
Jun 24, 2009, 04:56 PM
I like to try this, it really twists them in knots...

THEM: "Macs suck"
ME: "Yeah! Terrible!" (return to working with my Mac)

THEM: "Macs are toys"
ME: "Fisher Price all the way baby!" (return to working with my Mac)

THEM: "You can't do anything with Macs"
ME: "Of course not, I'm just a fashionista." (return to working with my Mac, or even better, launch a Windows VM)

THEM: "Macs are terrible gaming machines"
ME: "So's my car" (return to working with my Mac)

Be more agreeable than they are to their point, and watch their face. Priceless.

aethelbert
Jun 24, 2009, 05:07 PM
Everyday, people around me, friends and random people deem Macs as overpriced junks.
Couldn't agree more with them.

bruinsrme
Jun 24, 2009, 05:16 PM
Sure, your PC can be better, but I doubt Powerpoint is better than Keynote. The point is, I use a Mac because it suits my needs, and there is no need for expressing some provoking statement (probably out of jealously).

Then, some uneducated people started to claim that Apple products are overpriced and worthless, and you can buy a PC that's half the price of a Mac. So, I go on with an example with the MBP, saying that it is not possible to buy a PC that is made out of aluminium, and equipped with 9600m gt and 9400m, LED screen, 4gb DDR3 memory, 2.53 GHz Penryn (is it Penryn?) processor, multi-touch trackpad and a 7-hour battery for $1000. .

Jealousy: yeah exactly:rolleyes:

So Power Point. not sure what level of user you are on this program but there is far more to it than the average user knows about. Again it depends on what level user you are.
You show me where I can get a mac, for $1000 with those specs and I will be more than happy to go out and buy one. I think you may have fat fingered the 1 instead of hitting a 2.

All I can say when I was looking for a new laptop the hardware configurations on the, how did you put it Windoze, PC side offered exactly what I wanted. Sure I wish my battery life was better but when I am running a bluray to my Pioneer 94TXI and plasma with 7.1 audio and 1080p I make the sacrifice and plug it in.

Macs are a great platform that come, in my eyes, with a hefty premium but seem to trail behind in the hardware department.

localoid
Jun 24, 2009, 05:22 PM
You might want to check just a few threads down (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=727094).

I'm hopeful someday soon, someone will be brave and strong enough to share their tragic stories about being picked on by PC users on the Dr. Phil show.

windywoo
Jun 24, 2009, 06:07 PM
These forums have plenty of examples of Mac users hating on Windows, based on ignorance and other people's "facts". There are idiots on both sides.

MacAndy74
Jun 24, 2009, 07:02 PM
I like to try this, it really twists them in knots...

THEM: "Macs suck"
ME: "Yeah! Terrible!" (return to working with my Mac)

THEM: "Macs are toys"
ME: "Fisher Price all the way baby!" (return to working with my Mac)

THEM: "You can't do anything with Macs"
ME: "Of course not, I'm just a fashionista." (return to working with my Mac, or even better, launch a Windows VM)

THEM: "Macs are terrible gaming machines"
ME: "So's my car" (return to working with my Mac)

Be more agreeable than they are to their point, and watch their face. Priceless.

:D Those are great replies. Not that anyone makes fun of me or my computing choice but if they did - I'd probably respond as you have suggested.

tempusfugit
Jun 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
As a LONG time PC user, I do recognize that windows has its utility.

That's why I have VMware Fusion :cool:

Otherwise, its not always easy to convince people that apple simply makes a better product. Even when you show them how much easier or fast your mac operates, they never change their minds quickly. Its always a long process.

That's why I don't really bother getting into verbal debates about it.

I have a house full of PCs and I basically only use one of them as a server, and thats just because I already had it anyway, why not get network storage out of it. Kind of nice to use media center with xbox too.

I'll probably always have a windows machine somewhere in my residence, you just won't see me at it :) Remote desktop is good enough.