Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bomelon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Hey,

I'm trying to build a portfolio for something along the lines of Communication Design - in advertising or graphic design. Sketchbooks are a heavily emphasized part of the portfolio, and I was wondering... what kinds of things should I be sketching/brainstorming/doodling/drawing?

I never thought I'd be even trying to go to an art school, but after years of trying to find a program of studies I was interested in... it always kind of came back to this. So, I'm trying to build up a portfolio for university/college, and coming up with a few paintings, but if anyone has any tips, that'd be great too!

Thanks

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
I am currently studying photography and design. My sketchbooks relate to projects I am working on and they outline the project aims and then go on to show idea development and successful and unsuccessful ideas as well as influences and motivation for selecting ideas. They then move on to final design and conclusions. A sketchbook is a pictorial and written record of your journey towards a final result. If it is a personal sketchbook without project aims then it can be more free in style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.