PDA

View Full Version : HELP - DENTED POWERBOOK

dhan
May 25, 2004, 07:31 PM
so i was skating back from class and I totally did not see a curb as I was squeezing in beside a car and i ate it on my face. when i got ohme i found out that the corner of my 15" powerbook got hit and it compressed the aluminum so that the little piece of aluminum above the DVI is bent outwards slightly.

its not crazy, my powerbook is still functioning properly, but its annoying the heck outta me.

was wondering if applecare would help me fix that.

thanks

Sun Baked
May 25, 2004, 07:37 PM
You can try, but you may find that case parts will hit you at about $200-300 per part in the aftermarket -- and the LCD module around 1000.

Always worth calling and seeing how much they'll want for the repair.

BaDBoY
May 26, 2004, 12:12 AM
similar to me... i kinda dropped my backpack (all padded and everything) a little too hard, and it STLL made a dent on the side. now one part is protruding from the corner and it scrapes me sometimes when i type, but i try to ignore it. maybe someday ill repair it... (looks in garage for a hammer) :eek:

virividox
May 26, 2004, 01:28 AM
so i was skating back from class and I totally did not see a curb as I was squeezing in beside a car and i ate it on my face. when i got ohme i found out that the corner of my 15" powerbook got hit and it compressed the aluminum so that the little piece of aluminum above the DVI is bent outwards slightly.

its not crazy, my powerbook is still functioning properly, but its annoying the heck outta me.

was wondering if applecare would help me fix that.

thanks

applecare covers defects not accidents, but you could try taking it to a shop and say you just noticed it now!! hehe

win_convert
May 26, 2004, 06:48 AM
OK there is the paradox of the century.

A skateboarder owns a 15" powerbook.

JFreak
May 26, 2004, 07:20 AM
A skateboarder owns a 15" powerbook.

how do you use the powerbook as a skateboard? mine doesn't have wheels :D

hob
May 26, 2004, 08:46 AM
I've got a dented screen casing, and it's been like it for a month, i'll get it repaired when I go to the SoHo apple store in a month - it's annoying, but it's also expensive, which is why mine's insured!! Always a good idea

For what it's worth, i feel your pain!!

Hob

papersushi
May 27, 2004, 01:50 AM
What I don't understand is people spending 2-3 thousands dollars on PowerBook, but too cheap to buy a carrying case. Or only buy cheap carrying case with some sorts of so-called "padding". Get a real carrying case, such as Brenthaven, that way you don't really have to thnk really hrd to try to cheat Apple to have your dent powerbook repaired.

johnnyjibbs
May 27, 2004, 06:28 AM
I can't believe you skate while holding your PowerBook (in a bag or not)! That's just asking for trouble.

Unfortunately AppleCare won't cover accidental damage, so good luck in trying to "invent" a story of how it was like that to begin with...

dhan
Jun 2, 2004, 03:23 PM
my powerbook was in a laptop sleeve while inside a dakine backpack made to hold laptops.

I use a skateboard to go around campus at UC Irvine, sorry I didnt feel like walking

krimson
Jun 2, 2004, 03:49 PM
Try looking on ebay for a damaged PB (usually listed "for parts), if you dont want to pay for a new one.

ah.. UCI, the memories i have staying in Misty Mtn, and Brandywine.. ;D

dhan
Jun 3, 2004, 03:33 AM
wheres misty mtn?

commons food sucks though

krimson
Jun 3, 2004, 08:36 AM
misty mtn is like 2 buildings north of brandywine in Middle Earth, iirc.. it's been like 10+ years.

jknight8907
Jun 14, 2004, 10:00 PM
Simple, for the bent-out part.

1. Get a small hammer.
2. Sand the face smooth or put a piece of felt on it.
3. Brace the 'Book in a corner or something
4. GENTLY tap the bent-out piece back flat.

If the edge of it is crooked, take a pair of pliers, wrap them in felt, and bend it straight first.

Don't hit too hard, it IS a computer.