Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nshank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Hello all,
I have a couple questions re: an iMac G3. Its a G3 350, slot load cdrom. There is no firewire, or external video connector. Here's whats goin on:

I power up the computer, and hear the standard chime. About 2-5 seconds later, it appears to "power off", meaning that the hdd spins down, the green power light starts to flicker a bit, and I hear what sounds like a clicking sound.

This was abandon w/ me, and I wish to give it to my sister. The person that abandon it said that it blew the hard drive (more to the point, it blew one of the chips on the drive) and she was told that it wouldn't be worth fixing. I suspect that I didn't get the whole story.

I would like to get this to boot for under $100USD, as at that point, I'll just give her my G3 desktop.

For those of you in the Pueget Sound region, I can buy ya a beer/coffie for your help.

Thanks in advanced,
Nick

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Well, if it were only the hard drive that was broken, then that would be a very easy replacement. However, the symptoms you're describing does not sound like anything related to the hard drive. If the drive were not found, then the iMac would boot up, and you'd get a folder icon with a little Mac smiley face/question mark. What you're describing sounds more like the problem that occurs when someone tries to install OSX on an iMac that has not been updated to the latest firmware. If so, then getting that fixed would be a real chore. You might want to check if anyone attempted to install OSX on the iMac before that problem started.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Clicking. Not booting.
Hard drive most definately.
They are cheap though.
To be sure? Boot from an OS9 CD. See the drive? If you do, try to reinitialize. Won't work? It's the drive. I told you!
Don't see it? Open disk tools and try to mount. Din't mount? It's the drive. I told you!
It worked? Okay, you saved 78 bucks.
Carry on sir.

nshank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Les Kern said:
Clicking. Not booting.
Hard drive most definately.
They are cheap though.
To be sure? Boot from an OS9 CD. See the drive? If you do, try to reinitialize. Won't work? It's the drive. I told you!
Don't see it? Open disk tools and try to mount. Din't mount? It's the drive. I told you!
It worked? Okay, you saved 78 bucks.
Carry on sir.

The system makes a slight clicking sound w/o any drives... I've never seen any other machine do this, mac, pc, sun, etc... its a new one on me...

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
nshank said:
The system makes a slight clicking sound w/o any drives... I've never seen any other machine do this, mac, pc, sun, etc... its a new one on me...

The drive is REMOVED and it makes a clicking sound? ?
My sincere apologies for not reading more carefully. And double that because in my 17 years of working with Macs I have never heard of that. I'd flip it over, remove the cover, boot it upside down, and try to ascertain where the sound is coming from. I'd bet its a cricket. Otherwise this will be interesting to follow.

If you want to try to isolate the problem to the HD open up the back port which lets you access the RAM and pop the cable which leads to HD, then try booting off a CD, if you still get nothing your problem could be a Bad PAV board which controls video and power, this costs around $100-$200 to replace so I don;t know if its worth it if he PAV needs replacing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.