PDA

View Full Version : using pc CD's

jadam
Jul 6, 2002, 09:54 PM
ok, well, im going to try installing RTCW using my PC cd version of the game and the latest update for it. Since the Game Data is the same between these two versions, the only thing that i would assume to be different is the exe... can someone post a screen shot of their RTCW installation folder?? I really dont plan on buying this game again for $50...

macfreek57
Jul 6, 2002, 11:04 PM
no
there's bound to be at least minor differences
porting is a big task

jadam
Jul 6, 2002, 11:11 PM
actually... i know someone who is using the PC files from Quake II under OSX. Plus, its not just the exes, but the latest version of the game has all of the files, and i already have WolfMP.exe

hehe :P, now i just need to find some time to install it under VPC 5.0...

AlphaTech
Jul 6, 2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by macfreek57
no
there's bound to be at least minor differences
porting is a big task

Agreed... How do you propose to get a windblows exe file to function on the Mac??? Windblows applications are writen very different then applications for the Mac. Some applications are easier to port then others, but all need to be ported to the OS that they are intended to run under/on. IF you could obtain a Linux copy of RTCW, you could [possible] port it over the OS X (with the developers kit).

job
Jul 7, 2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
IF you could obtain a Linux copy of RTCW, you could [possible] port it over the OS X (with the developers kit).

Good luck trying to do that. I bet Westlake would hire you on the spot if the port was stable. :D :D

jadam
Jul 7, 2002, 01:49 AM
I mean using the EXEs that are already ported, you know, from the updates. Not trying to port it myself. And the QuakeIII source hasnt been released yet and costs $250,000 to license!