Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
I have a linksys wireless router thinking of upgrading to the airport extreme. What do you guys think since I do have 2 apple computers that use wireless connection and one windows? Thanks

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I used an Airport Express at uni and just loved how simple it was to setup.

Plus it was fast at transferring things over form one computer to another.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
It doesn't offer anything which isn't available elsewhere for less. Indeed, the core feature (routing an internet connection to multiple computers) can be had for significantly less money.

Configuration requires proprietary software. This is of course included in OS X, but if you are using another operating system then you either won't be able to configure it or on Windows you have to download additional software from Apple before you can. Most other routers are configured using a web browser, which to me is far easier.

Lastly, it doesn't include a modem. For me this was the true deal breaker - I would need a modem plugged in and the router, whereas my current router has a modem built in, so I have only one box using up electricity and a power socket.

Unless you have a particular liking for burning money, look at other brands first. You could give the money you save to charity or something.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Well I have around 210 dollars in change I could cash that in for a new monitor or Airport Extreme.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
It doesn't offer anything which isn't available elsewhere for less. Indeed, the core feature (routing an internet connection to multiple computers) can be had for significantly less money.

Configuration requires proprietary software. This is of course included in OS X, but if you are using another operating system then you either won't be able to configure it or on Windows you have to download additional software from Apple before you can. Most other routers are configured using a web browser, which to me is far easier.

Lastly, it doesn't include a modem. For me this was the true deal breaker - I would need a modem plugged in and the router, whereas my current router has a modem built in, so I have only one box using up electricity and a power socket.

Unless you have a particular liking for burning money, look at other brands first. You could give the money you save to charity or something.

My linksys is 4 years old I could go for a new one.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I got an airport extreme shortly after they started including wired gigabit ports. I use it with 2 wired computers (1 mac and 1 windows pc) and my macbook (wireless). While I do like it, quite honestly, it's just a router. It doesn't do anything that just about any other decent router can do. Sure, it looks nice but it sits in my basement. One thing I wish it had was dynamic dns update capabilities like some linksys routers do.

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
I personally use one myself. It's typical Apple imo. Good, easy to use software, but priced to match lol. If you're tech savvy, you can go elsewhere and save yourself some money unless you plan on buying used like I do.

I used to have a good Linksys router but I upgraded to an airport express to use airtunes/airfoil to my iPod hifi. Then I wanted to attach a wireless hard drive, so now I'm in the process of backing up all my mybooks onto a 1.5tb MiniStack to run off the airport extreme. Yes, I'm having fun with a wireless room. I'm also customizing some bluetooth grado SR60s too lol.

Back to the topic, if you can tinker with other routers, you're really better off saving money and getting one of those.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I got tired of fooling with Linksys routers via the web browser and bought an Airport Extreme Dual-band router. The fact that its simultaneous pays for itself in my opinion. Other similar routers are priced near that figure. All-in-all I found it to be a good buy.

JPS

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
I also used a Linksys for years and became increasingly frustrated with customer service; bottom line was that they didn't support Macs. So I bought an Airport Express and it's been great ever since. Bought a second one to extend the network in the house. Resold the Linksys on eBay and made my money back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.