Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Is the Nike sensor really worth it, and is it accurate?

I am thinking of getting on for my 3GS but before I buy it and a puch to hold it I want to make sure I am not wasting money, because I use a treadmill and I do not run outside, so I hope it will register my steps.

:rolleyes:

Torq

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
It will register your steps just fine.

Whether it is worth it beyond that depends on whether your treadmill measures speed/time and/or raw distance, and what you expect from the Nike+ service.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Nike + was one of the reasons that I upgraded from 3G.

I really like how simple it is to use. And the fact that I only had to buy a sensor. It works REALLY well, and I have found myself more motivated to work out.

I like that my iphone is replacing several gadgets that I used to carry around (small flip video camera, ipod)

Torq

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Does the sensor work with the Iphone? I have one and it won't. New version?

The sensor that goes in your shoe works natively with the iPhone 3GS, but does not work with the 3G (or earlier) phones even if they are running OS 3.0.

The external receiver is not supported on the iPhone either, regardless of version.

Your choices for Nike+ are:

Nano w/ external receiver.
iPod Touch 2G w/o receiver.
iPhone 3GS w/o receiver.

SwitchHitter

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Case/skin when out running

What are you guys using when out running with the 3GS? I'm an avid runner - particularly on trails out here in SoCal - so I'd like to have a casing that envelopes the iPhone and keeps dust, grime and sweat outside.

Torq

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
What are you guys using when out running with the 3GS? I'm an avid runner - particularly on trails out here in SoCal - so I'd like to have a casing that envelopes the iPhone and keeps dust, grime and sweat outside.

Still looking for a good band/case to be honest (since I have only had the 3GS since Friday and I do not have it in a case normally). So far it has been in my pocket.

Headphone wise using the Motorola S9 and really liking them. The reviews I have read suggest they do not handle sweat well ... but I do not sweat normally (have to be WAY overheated to even perspire at all) so not an issue so far.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
The sensor that goes in your shoe works natively with the iPhone 3GS, but does not work with the 3G (or earlier) phones even if they are running OS 3.0.

The external receiver is not supported on the iPhone either, regardless of version.

Your choices for Nike+ are:

Nano w/ external receiver.
iPod Touch 2G w/o receiver.
iPhone 3GS w/o receiver.

Oh, This thing works on the iTouch 2G bc I have a 16GB unit doing nothing now that I have my 3GS, but I agree it is so much easier only having to carry the 3GS instead of my phone and my iTouch, whew lightened my load by about 1 lbs, between all the accessories I had to carry around and chargers.:rolleyes:

minor7flat5

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
I ended up using the Otter Box iPhone Defender case. It's a little pricy ($50), but it totally encases the iPhone 3GS, with little flaps covering all of the ports. The microphone and speaker elements have some sort of white filter fabric in them.

If I were designing a case for a sweaty runner in a dirty environment, this would be it. Check it out in person; I got mine at the AT&T store.

It's definitely not waterproof, though it might survive a quick accidental dunk.

bbwinkle

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Sorry if this if this is considered hijacking your thread!

Is it possible to go on runs with just the senor and no iphone/ipod? For example, if I have cross country and I can't run with my phone at the time, is it ok if my show has the sensor still or does it need the iphone to record the data?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Sorry if this if this is considered hijacking your thread!

Is it possible to go on runs with just the senor and no iphone/ipod? For example, if I have cross country and I can't run with my phone at the time, is it ok if my show has the sensor still or does it need the iphone to record the data?

It needs the phone too. I find that with my iPod I can get about 30-40 feet away from my ipod before it stops recording.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
do you have to keep the nike + app open the whole time? if you close it to check mail or txt will it still record info?

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
do you have to keep the nike + app open the whole time? if you close it to check mail or txt will it still record info?

No, you do not have to keep the App up the whole time. You can run Nike+ in the background and it will keep the workout recording.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I was thinking about the Nike+ too, but I get most of the information I need from my motion X GPS app. I can see how that would be a problem if you run inside.

fygy5

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
Yes, the data wont record with the sensor alone. You need either the phone, wristband or nano w/external pickup. I love my nike+ set up and find it very accurate (even more so than the treadmill, I dont hit pause when i stepp off for water breaks). I love the web sight and the way it keeps track of all your runs, distance, calories. You can even attach your runs to a map and catolog it.

The iphone works really well for the gym. You can keep the phone off your body while using the treadmill. As for outside running I perfer my nano w/external pickup setup for two reasons.
1. the iphone is larger and bulky to run with. I have larger arms so no armband holsters fit and waist clips are to large and anoying. I feel them the whole time im running.
2. the iphone water sensors are extreamly sensetive. I sweat quite abit while running and have waterloged my nano and ruined multiple sets of earphones. That much moisture will trip the iphone's water sensors in a heart beat and you'll be SOL come warranty repair time.

So all and all if your a serious runner stick with nano kit(for music) or the wristband kit(without music), but if your just joging on a tredmill (besure to dry off before handling you phone) or into walking outside the iphone nike+ is a great option.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I've run a few times with my phone in an incase iphone running armband using Nike +. I'm not sure if I'll go back to using my nano or not. I like using the iphone, the app is just awesome, but it's a bit bulky on the arm and I'm concerned about it getting sweat on it even though the incase seems to keep it dry. Only other option I can think of is getting a belt style running case.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I also use the Otterbox Defender for running ($32 from Amazon). I tried the Incase armband but honestly felt it was just poorly designed.

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
I also use the Otterbox Defender for running ($32 from Amazon). I tried the Incase armband but honestly felt it was just poorly designed.

I love my Otterbox, too ($32 shipped on eBay). Do you just use the belt clip that comes with it or do you have an armband of some kind? I'd love to know of an armband that will hold the iPhone with the Otterbox.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I love my Otterbox, too ($32 shipped on eBay). Do you just use the belt clip that comes with it or do you have an armband of some kind? I'd love to know of an armband that will hold the iPhone with the Otterbox.

To be honest, I just drop it in my pocket even when running. I only look at my phone a few times during a run and to me it's just as awkward to fiddle with things while it's strapped to an armband as it is just pulling it out of my pocket. If my running shorts didn't have pockets I would probably just use the clip, but facing in. I don't feel the clip holds the phone quite as solid in the outward facing position as it does facing inward.

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
To be honest, I just drop it in my pocket even when running. I only look at my phone a few times during a run and to me it's just as awkward to fiddle with things while it's strapped to an armband as it is just pulling it out of my pocket. If my running shorts didn't have pockets I would probably just use the clip, but facing in. I don't feel the clip holds the phone quite as solid in the outward facing position as it does facing inward.

Well darn ... I was hoping you had found a decent armband for the Otterbox. :rolleyes: I agree that having something strapped to your arm is awkward, but I have more of a problem with 1) finding women's shorts with pockets large enough for the Otterbox (if they have pockets at all), and 2) the weight of the phone pulling my shorts down ... not nice. :eek: Of course the weight pulling the shorts down happens whether it's in a pocket or clipped onto the shorts; and I have no intention of wearing a belt while jogging!

I must agree with you on the position inside the clip. I've noticed the same thing myself -- it just doesn't feel as secure when facing out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.