PDA

View Full Version : LaCie announces new Double Layer Drives (www.differentdistrict.com)

wide
May 26, 2004, 09:27 AM
Check out this article from http://www.differentdistrict.com:

LaCie yesterday announced that it will ship its LaCie d2 DVD±RW Double Layer Drives with newly introduced double layer DVD recording technology next month. The new technology offers users almost twice the capacity of normal 4.7GB DVDs that you can buy at OfficeMax now. These new DVDs on a single-sided disc, much like today's commercial discs. (i.e. Shrek, Bad Boys DVDs) LaCie's new drives also feature 8x DVD±R and 4x DVD±RW which are currently the fastest speeds available. This means high-speed, dual-format recording. The drives will begin shipping next month starting at $250 with FireWire and USB 2.0 interfaces and as a added bonus Toast 6.0 will ship with it as bundled software. It is rumored that this same technology will ship with the upcoming G5's, but Apple will label it as "SuperDrive Extreme".

Wow! That's awesome--I can finally burn complete DVDs. I hope Apple will use these drives in their new PowerMacs...and maybe even in their PowerBooks--that would be awesome. :D

digitalField
May 26, 2004, 03:27 PM
Two questions:

one.
the stupid question. can all dvd drives on the market read DoubleLayer discs with no problem? or will new drivers be needed?
im assuming th eanswer is yes. as i can watch sherk in my computer no problem.

two.
is anyone producting blank double layer discs yet? and if so. anyone know ballpark pricing for them??

me.